Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > New Member Check-In
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 07-03-2010, 04:30 PM   #1
Angry Blown Goodyear

Hi, I am inquiring about anyone having trouble with Goodyear tires. I have an 05 dynasty with 41000 miles and blew the right front tire this past week and did extensive damage as I took out about 300' of the cables between a divided highway. What does anyone suggest for replacement tires. The coach is presently in Denver, NC getting an estimate.

double d is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-03-2010, 04:51 PM   #2
Monaco Owners Club
Wow, glad no one was hurt. I have been very fortunate with Goodyear G670's. I had them on my first MH and on my Diplomat with no problems...knock on wood. My buddy just purchased a new set of Michelins and is very happy with them. They were about $900 more than the Goodyear's and I will be watching how they hold up.

Del & Lori & Millie, (our miniature Aussie) 2007 Diplomat 40PDQ - 2009 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon, US Gear Unified Tow Brake.
hardy1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2010, 07:32 PM   #3
Solo Rvers Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I'm still the new guy but...
5yrs and 40,000 miles seems about par for "useful life" for an RV tire.
How much more than 40,000mi & 5yrs are/were you hoping to get?

The numbers imply 26 or so 300 mile travel days (over 5 years) for tread wear with 1800 parked days for UV/age deterioration to set in.
Bryan. 2000 Georgie Boy Pursuit.

InPursuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2010, 08:44 PM   #4
I have 68,000 miles on my 05 Dynasty G670's. No sidewall checking and lots of tread left.

Now you have me worried.
Eaglesview is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2010, 09:08 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
RV tires typically last 5-7 years and may last as much as 10, but there are so many variables in tire usage/wear that it is impossible to say what to expect. The most common cause of early failure is insufficient tire pressure. Just one day of running on less than adequate pressure can cause enough internal damage to shorten the life by years.

That said, I had a 5 year old, 45k mile, G670 develop a bulge in the sidewall. Fortunately I noticed it before starting out on the highway that day. By contrast, the rear G670's have 54k miles and nearly 7 years and still look great.
Gary Brinck
2004 American Tradition; 2014 Buick LaCRosse
Homebase in the Ocala Nat'l Forest near Ocala, FL
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2010, 01:47 PM   #6
Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I'm new to the RV lifestyle and I've spent quite a bit on time on this website. One common response to tires is that the 5-6 year range is about the maximum life on a tire. This had me concerned because I bought a used 2004 Winnebago with Goodyear tires on it. My daughter and her family took it from Michigan to Seattle without problems due to a job change. The nagging concern in the back of my mind was that the tires showed a mfg date of February 2004. I decided that the front tires were the major problem makers in the event of a blowout. I had the two front tires replaced with new ones while in Seattle and the old ones were move to the right rear duals. I figured I'd replace two at a time over the next year to insure the safety of the MH. Well, fate jumped in two days ago when one of the original "steering tires" literally blew off the wheel! Stranded along I-90 in Montana in 95 degree weather wasn't exactly how I wanted to spend my time. On the other hand, if that same tire had blown while still on the front (only moved 4 days prior), perhaps sweating for a couple hours along the expressway was really not a big deal. We got off the freeway after the service truck was done and drove directly to the Big Horn tire dealer and had the other 4 tires replaced immediately. As a side note, all of the 6 tires on the MH looked like they were almost new and had very minimal tire wear. Remember, it's what's happening INSIDE of the tire that you should be concerned with. And finally, I put a tire pressure monitoring system on all 6 tires before I left Seattle a few days prior to the trip back to Michigan. The tire that blew did NOT show anything abnormal with the tire pressure or temperature just prior to the blowout. I'm not blaming the TPMS, I'm just saying that you should keep the mfg date handy so that when the 5-6 year tire life rolls around you should be considering tire replacement.
crumgj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2010, 02:44 PM   #7
After two and a half years of fulltiming I have learn many things. 1. I will not run any tire over five years old, regardless of the milage or looks. 2. Before each trip I check all tires for correct tire pressure and any irregularities. It does not make any difference if I sit two days, a week, or a month. Always check the tires. It is cheap insurance for such an investment and your safety. I hope this helps....
R1Kirby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2010, 05:04 PM   #8
National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Better ssfe than sorry. I replaced my 6 year old Michelins with very little checking and plenty of tread for a new set of Toyos.
2001 National Tradewinds 7370 300 Cat
2011 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport
Officially fulltiming. The Journey Begins
Vegasdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2010, 05:56 PM   #9
I replaced all my tires which were 7 years old just a few weeks ago. Feel a lot more at ease now.
John, Deb; & our dog, Benji, Forever in our hearts.
2014 Coachmen Leprechaun 319DS V-10
2011 Jeep Liberty Jet & 2014 Jeep Wrangler
John H... is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 07:41 AM   #10
Ford Super Duty Owner
Blew a rear inside rear tire last week on my 04 brave. They were the original tires. I replaced the F rated Goodyear with H rated Toyo. I will not let my tires get 7 years old again. Was lucky this time because I had no damage. By the way the tires looked good no dry rot visible and plenty of tread. I am the second owner of this unit so I do not know how the tires were taken care of before I got it.
TN Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 08:39 AM   #11
What model Goodyear tire were you running? They had issues with the G159's.
2016 Dodge Ram 2500 Laramie 6.7 CTD, 45 gallon gravity tank, Cooper A/T3's, Bilstiens
2012 Arctic Fox 22H 300 watt Solar, Morningstar TS-45, 460 AH batteries, Xantrax 1000 watt PSW
Abnmarine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 08:44 AM   #12
Ford Super Duty Owner
I think it was a G670 but not sure.
TN Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 08:45 AM   #13
Newmar Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Spartan Chassis
We just replace our (6) yr old Michelin XRV's,(19.5), with G rated Hankooks as we wanted to be sure and make it to the national rally this year. Liked the Michelins but the Hankooks were about $600 cheaper.
04 Newmar DSDP 4015-Cummins ISL 370hp-Spartan MM Chassis-2013 Chev Equinox AWD Towed-Ready Brute Elite Towing System-FMCA 402879-SKP 120487
JC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 07:08 PM   #14
Ok here I go about Goodyear G670 RV tires. I have a 2008 American Coach Eagle 45E. I have 31,000 miles on it. At 17,000 miles coming back from the factory I blew out the front passenger side tire at about 45 mph. The sidewall blew out on the back side of the tire. No damage to coach. Got roadside out replaced with another Goodyear and I brought the old one home. Goodyear prorated it and paid me. Now Thanksgiving weekend coming back from Albequerque, Nm with my family was an adventure. That day the coach had 31,000 miles on it. 90 miles from the city on 40 east the left front tire blew out. I was going 70 mph so you can imagine the damage. The tire tore off the fender, fuel fill, and door off propane compartment. Wire harnesses were tore off, it was a mess. Frame was on the ground and dug into the concrete. Everyone was good, shook up, but good. My brother who was following me has a 2008 eagle as well. The pieces from my coach broke his windshield. After hours on side of road we made it to Amarillo for the night. The next day 1 hour into the trip my brother blew out his left front Goodyear g670 tire at about 60 mph. These tires are dangerous. His coach has 17,000 miles on it. Do you see the pattern. His coach was not damaged as bad as mine and he is up to $14,000.00 in damage, imagine what the cost to fix mine is. I am changing all tires on that coach before I put my family in it again. Most of the tires are rivering or have inconsistent wear on them. It is like that on both coaches.

Gene G. is offline   Reply With Quote