Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > New Member Check-In
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-11-2007, 09:24 PM   #1
Z!

Hi ...great forum here ..
I am so glad i stumbled on it..
I hope that i can get some help here.
I have never owned a diesl just a gas Bounder for a very short time.
So i am CLUELESS as to what is the best for the $$
Except for me test driving the last couple weeks .
I have been all over the country & am sick of shopping TILL TODAY !

I was getting ready to purchase a 42 tag axle Allegro 2007 w a spartin chsasis 400 HP.

Then I found a used 2004 45ft Newmar Essex for $225000 it is a 4501 w 3 slides it has 30k mi on it.

I love this coach the price seems great ..
It is at a dealer.
I also foind one from an ind. for 25k more but it only has 9k mi on it.

Does this mileage difference make much difference ??

Please give me a hand...I think i should hire a mechanic to look over the diesel even though its under warrenty...the Dealer tried to tell me a carfax wouldnt do much is this true on a coach..
I KNOW cars & 1 ton Trucks not thes things they r SCARY to me im trying to research but my business partner only sees the sparkle in these things...
I want dependability...sorry for the long post .

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-11-2007, 09:24 PM   #2
Z!

Hi ...great forum here ..
I am so glad i stumbled on it..
I hope that i can get some help here.
I have never owned a diesl just a gas Bounder for a very short time.
So i am CLUELESS as to what is the best for the $$
Except for me test driving the last couple weeks .
I have been all over the country & am sick of shopping TILL TODAY !

I was getting ready to purchase a 42 tag axle Allegro 2007 w a spartin chsasis 400 HP.

Then I found a used 2004 45ft Newmar Essex for $225000 it is a 4501 w 3 slides it has 30k mi on it.

I love this coach the price seems great ..
It is at a dealer.
I also foind one from an ind. for 25k more but it only has 9k mi on it.

Does this mileage difference make much difference ??

Please give me a hand...I think i should hire a mechanic to look over the diesel even though its under warrenty...the Dealer tried to tell me a carfax wouldnt do much is this true on a coach..
I KNOW cars & 1 ton Trucks not thes things they r SCARY to me im trying to research but my business partner only sees the sparkle in these things...
I want dependability...sorry for the long post .

Old 06-12-2007, 12:07 AM   #3
Community Moderator

Country Coach Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Gulf Streamers Club
Z!, welcome to iRV2.com. We are glad to have you join us here and I am sure you will be able to learn and share a lot of info. These low miles on either coach are nothing for these diesel engines; they are not even broke in yet. It is important though that the proper maintainance has been keep up on them. Ask for the records. Good luck and enjoy! Motorhomes are not like the automotive industry; a Carfax will not help. HAve a recommended mechanic in your area check it out and let you know where you stand. Don't be afraid to offer less than asking price.
06 Saturn Vue, 06 Chevy Z71 4x4 & 2014 Corvette Z51 M7
RV Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2007, 03:22 AM   #4
Community Moderator

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Welcome Z! to irv2
If you need some info on the ESSEX move down to the Newmar forum below have many Essex owners on the forum that can help you out with any questions you may have. Good luck with what ever you deside, Enjoy the forums and do post often.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2007, 05:46 AM   #5
Z!

Thanks for the Welcome guys !

Update....I can get the one w 9k mi on it for 235k w a transferable 7 yr 100k mi warrenty for $25.
I need to find out what warrenty co, & if they r worth the paper they are written on.
This is an original owner unit .w 4 slides
The other is at a dealer ...who to me has an attitude & i dont think would be much help after the sale.
Old 06-12-2007, 04:12 PM   #6

Congrats, Z ! ! And welcome to the forums.

Wizard is absolutely correct about these low milage engines not even being "broken in" yet

I think the last part of your last sentenace speaks volumes potentially....

I am a firm believer on the service after the sale part.. Same for word of mouth advertising...

If the one dealer treats you with a 'tude NOW when you are a potential paying customer--what will they be like afterwards?? REALLY would make me wonder..

See if you could talk to former customers of both dealers...I bet if you ask the first dealer, they may not even give you any info on their satisfied customers, and, if they do, it would be a carefully selected handpicked one or two...Now, the second dealer sounds like they could be better overall to deal with and maybe they might allow you to pick what customers to talk with..I had a car dealer do me that way once (years ago) and it sold me on the dealership for quite sometime afterwards..

As far as the coaches themselves, that's what you have to decide...Take your time, check em out thoroughly and don't be pressured.. Take a few hours and go through the motions of "living in" these units...check out the comforts and how the slide and floor plan configurations best suit what you want or need.

Remember---these dealers want and need to sell you these units much worse than you want to buy one..No offense intended but I think you know what i am referring to...

Just don't allow either one to SELL YOU their unit...Take your time and YOU decide which unit and dealer that YOU want to buy from!

Good luck with your purchase decision and keep us advised!

(and once again I retreat to my little popup to be jealous!! )
Old 06-12-2007, 05:22 PM   #7
Z!

Here is my real delema The coach i love is only a 3 slide but it has Dark cherry wood & i love that. from what ive heard most do not. It has 35k mi for $225k (dealer no warrenty)

I should be happy with
any of the others that i have found,all the others have 4 slides one has 9k mi the other has 17k mi both i can get for $235k.
both of them r Private Sellers with extended warrenty
the problem for me is they have the medium cherry.

I just dont think the coach w the dark cherry has been treated as well as the ones that r with private sellers I guess i could buy a arrenty & hope it was good.

I just dont know if ill be happy if i dont buy the one w the dark cherry it seems to be a great deal trade in on the coach is $207430.

But the extra slide seems to give them alot more room.
Old 06-12-2007, 09:06 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Monaco Owners Club
Excel Owners Club
Z! ... you can always restain the cherry a darker stain and be MUCH happier with the four slides...
Remember that they will charge you a lot for the exteneded coverage - and then it probably will not be for the same period of time (Does it start from when the vehicle was first sold - or from right now when you buy it.) If the dealer already has 'tude with you - then I would want them to spell it out in writing and sign it
I am sorry - but I would lean more towards the medium cherry and either restain the wood OR wear sunglasses while in the coach...
Good luck with whatever you decide....
MonacoMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2007, 09:58 PM   #9
Z!

I dint know how big of a deal the 4th slide may be I know it makes the living area alot bigger.
Again ive never owned one of this maginitude so i really appreciate the advice.
I only want to make this purchase once .
ive never owned a slide in anything.
Is there a place to put a want add w/o being charged ?