Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > New Member Check-In
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-26-2015, 12:33 PM   #15

Ford Super Duty Owner
Jayco Owners Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2003mistake View Post
yes, thats correct, its the excursion, the toad, then the 40'
Honestly my expertise is only commercial vehicles but I have towed truck/fifth wheel and then bumper pull in California. It's not uncommon. I also realized most law enforcement officers don't have a clue as to the spec and legalities of doing so. With that said I really doubt your setup is legal to haul. Not sure of that and maybe if it is illegal you will not have a problem. You do appear to be over gross. Be safe and I hope all adds up to a fun safe trip.
Rider99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-26-2015, 12:34 PM   #16

2003mistake

Check your private message inbox.

[SIGPIC]sigpic160806_2.gif[/SIGPIC]
sd75mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2015, 12:58 PM   #17
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Welcome to IRV2! We're sure glad you joined us!

Sorry I can't help with your problem. No experience with trailers!

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2015, 12:59 PM   #18

Ok, you guys have officially educated me to the point where i am not going to try and do this...its seems extremely unsafe. I have searched craigslist for other larger trucks to buy to help me get back. Towing back to Texas was 3-4K so it seems like buying an older truck that could be used just to move this around on occasion would be the smarter decision for us. I found a 2007 F-550 for only 20K in good shape. I assume that would be plenty of truck to do the job but my wife said to come and ask to be sure before we buy it.
2003mistake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2015, 01:05 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rider99 View Post
Do I understand this correctly? You are towing a 40' bumper pull with another trailer/ toad behind it? Yes? Is that legal?
I told everyone about it and no one suggested it was illegal, but thats a great question.
2003mistake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2015, 01:07 PM   #20

Triple E Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
If there is sway as you describe. IT IS DANGEROUS.
Get it sorted out at asap.
I suggest an RV dealer that is reputable and has not sold you what you describe as a mistake.
There are good knowledgeable people working RV dealerships that would help you.
Good Luck!
Ted Lambert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2015, 01:19 PM   #21

Ford Super Duty Owner
Jayco Owners Club
Towing

Quote:
I told everyone about it and no one suggested it was illegal, but thats a great question.
I wish I had an answer but it took me weeks to find out legalities on towing behind a fifth wheel and I knew a number of people in the CHP, DOT and trucking professionals. I was just told what I allready knew. Maximum length of trailer, dolly tow bar and overall length....no help. If you are considering a new tow vehicle and need help for capacities send me the make, model, year, wheel base, transmission,engine and rear end ratio and I will look it up. Good luck.
Old 12-26-2015, 01:40 PM   #22

Vintage RV Owners Club
Can you rent something big enough to get you home? Even a big UHaul box truck or something like that? I don't know a damn thing about towing, but that would be my thought. Just let the wife drive the Excursion. Good Luck at whatever you do.
CaptainGeezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2015, 01:57 PM   #23

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Ok, you guys have officially educated me to the point where i am not going to try and do this...its seems extremely unsafe. I have searched craigslist for other larger trucks to buy to help me get back. Towing back to Texas was 3-4K so it seems like buying an older truck that could be used just to move this around on occasion would be the smarter decision for us. I found a 2007 F-550 for only 20K in good shape. I assume that would be plenty of truck to do the job but my wife said to come and ask to be sure before we buy it.
The 550 will be more than enough truck to safely haul you, your family and the trailer. My 2005 has a GVWR of 18,000, a 12,000 lb rear axle GAWR and a GCVW of 33,000 (we got the enhance trailer package and a 4:88 rear end). The 2007 550 will be higher.

http://www.ford-trucks.com/specs/2007-2/2007-ford-f-450-specifications/

Check out the information on the door pillar and compare to the specs above.
Old 12-26-2015, 02:00 PM   #24

Quote:
I don't know the exact weight limits of the F-550, but it certainly is higher than your Excursion, since the Excursion is basically an F-250 chassis. I think this F-550 is definitely safer. You probably do not need the trailer toad with the F-550, just ensure you have a hitch on it that is 15K rated. The F-550 seems a good choice based on gut feel to me, without the specifics of the truck.

For all those that are confused here, the trailer toad is NOT another vehicle. It is like a 2-wheel dolly that takes the trailer tongue weight so it is not on the tow vehicle. It goes between the tow vehicle and trailer. See link here:
TrailerToad.com
38Chevy454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2015, 02:12 PM   #25

Ford Super Duty Owner
Jayco Owners Club
Ignore my posts. I thought you were pulling double trailers and my concern was the second trailer being towed behind another bumper pull trailer. You are not pulling a toad/vehicle behind the 40'. You are using a dolly to attach the 40' to hold the tongue weigh and then attaches to your Excursion. Sorry for my confusion. Happy motoring.
Old 12-27-2015, 10:05 AM   #26

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
hal1phx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2015, 11:32 AM   #27

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
denlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2015, 11:44 AM   #28

Entegra Owners Club
You made a mistake but to your great credit you are recognizing it and dealing appropriately with it. Do not tow the trailer with the Excursion, get a properly rated truck that can do the job. Good luck finding the right tow vehicle and keep safety as your number one priority.
MRUSA14 is offline   Reply With Quote