Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > New Member Check-In
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-27-2012, 03:45 AM   #1

Thor Owners Club
Send a message via Skype™ to barrydot
Brits, but don't hold that against us !!

Hi My wife and I were both born in the UK and are therefore Brit-Cits, but having lived and worked for 12 yrs in Bermuda before 'retiring' to Kenya and Zanzibar for 20 yrs and now in Spain, the UK is just a place to visit friends and family, not our home. We were then 'captivated' by America, not only by the vastness and beauty of the country but by the hospitality and friendliness of it's people, so much so we bought a condo in Ft Myers FL where we spend the winter months. Then last year we made a decision to find out more what your great country has to offer and bought a 31' Fourwinds Chateau with which we intend to travel to Califonia and back on a 3-4 month road trip next March.
Looking forward to reading the various posts in this great forum.

Barry and Dot Clark
barrydot is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-27-2012, 08:06 AM   #2
Community Moderator

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Barry & Dot;

We are glad you found us. You have had a very interesting life. Browse the forums that interest you and don't be afraid to ask questions. We have a great group here who like to help when they can.

Don
Don & Bev Morgan Weyauwega WI, 05 Itasca Horizon 40KD, 400 HP Cummins, Adopted by a great couple, Toad 07 Saturn Vue AWD, Air Force One, TST 510 TPMS, Mayor of Weyauwega 2007 - 2013, Waupaca Co Board Supervisor 2010 - 2014
Petro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 08:15 AM   #3

Greetings. Sure hope you can get off the gulf coast and actually see the rest of the country. I know many visitors from that side of the Atlantic seem to believe the east coast is THE place to go. But they are missing some of the best scenery and beauty of this country by staying right of the Mississippi. The vastness and diversity are not rivaled in many places on earth once you cross the old Miss.
Old 10-27-2012, 08:41 AM   #4
Administrator in Memoriam

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis

No hard feelings toward 'The Crown' as we have have become quite happy here in the 'colonies'.

Route 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 08:42 AM   #5

Gulf Streamers Club

Would never hold your country against you! Enjoy your travels around the US!

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 09:07 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Welcome cousins from across the pond! I got over our Revolutionary War a few years back, so we're good now Enjoy the country, a whole lot to take in here, enjoy!

John...
clyon51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 07:06 PM   #7

Welcome! Are you going to hit the national parks in the west? They are fabulous so try to get to as many as you can.
micd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 09:25 PM   #8

Hello, Barry and Dot:

DW and I (and our older two children) are ex-pat Brits. We came to the Pacific NW when I landed a job with Boeing in 1968. Except for a 2+ year stay in Tidewater Virginia (Hampton/Newport News), we've lived in Washington State all that time.

We're about as far as it's possible to get from Florida, being less than 60 miles from the Canada/US border and actually quite a distance north of the British Columbia capital.

This is a beautiful part of the country, like a combination of the Swiss Alps and the Scandinavian fjords, but with a climate like Cornwall.

Summer high temps are about 78F with humidity in the 20% range and winters rarely have days where the high is below freezing. If we have snow on the ground for more than two days, it makes the TV news.

Definitely worth a visit, despite the distance.
Old 10-28-2012, 04:18 AM   #9

Thor Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by micd View Post
Welcome! Are you going to hit the national parks in the west? They are fabulous so try to get to as many as you can.

We intend to visit as many National parks possible over ther in the 'wild west' as we can , but ask if you have any you would class as 'unmissable'

Barry
Old 10-28-2012, 04:25 AM   #10

Thor Owners Club
thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankdamp View Post
Hello, Barry and Dot:

DW and I (and our older two children) are ex-pat Brits. We came to the Pacific NW when I landed a job with Boeing in 1968. Except for a 2+ year stay in Tidewater Virginia (Hampton/Newport News), we've lived in Washington State all that time.

We're about as far as it's possible to get from Florida, being less than 60 miles from the Canada/US border and actually quite a distance north of the British Columbia capital.

This is a beautiful part of the country, like a combination of the Swiss Alps and the Scandinavian fjords, but with a climate like Cornwall.

Summer high temps are about 78F with humidity in the 20% range and winters rarely have days where the high is below freezing. If we have snow on the ground for more than two days, it makes the TV news.

Definitely worth a visit, despite the distance.
Hi, Thanks for your reply to our post. You guys have been away from the 'mother land' even longer than ourselves, and seem to have settled in a beautiful part of the country.
Although a little too far north to visit on next years trip, we hope to be able to travel there sometime in the not to distant future

Barry and dot
Old 10-30-2012, 07:54 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrydot View Post
We intend to visit as many National parks possible over ther in the 'wild west' as we can , but ask if you have any you would class as 'unmissable'

Barry
Your going to want to hit the big ones like Grand Canyon, Yellow Stone, and Mount Rushmore but I also recommend Crazy Horse Memorial (watch the movie while there), Mesa Verde and the Great Sand Dunes. I haven't been to everything yet myself but seeing them is the primary reason we bought an RV. I've documented the ones we have seen on my blog in my signature line. The national parks have lots of free information like educational movies at the visitor centers. As much as possible try to stay at their camp grounds. The ranger talks in the evening are free and usually very good.

Cheers!
micd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 06:46 AM   #12

Everyone will want to add their favorite to the list, so mine is Glacier National Park and Waterton park on the Canadian side. A ride in one of the park vehicles on the "Going to the sun road" over Logan Pass is a must do!

Quote:
Originally Posted by micd View Post
Your going to want to hit the big ones like Grand Canyon, Yellow Stone, and Mount Rushmore but I also recommend Crazy Horse Memorial (watch the movie while there), Mesa Verde and the Great Sand Dunes. I haven't been to everything yet myself but seeing them is the primary reason we bought an RV. I've documented the ones we have seen on my blog in my signature line. The national parks have lots of free information like educational movies at the visitor centers. As much as possible try to stay at their camp grounds. The ranger talks in the evening are free and usually very good.

Cheers!
2005 Safari (Monaco)Trek 28RB2, Workhorse W20, 8.1, Allison 1000 5 spd, UltraPower engine & tranny, Track bars & sway bars, KONI FSD, FMCA 190830, Safari Int'l. chapter. 1999 Safari Trek 2830, 1995 Safari Trek 2430, 1983 Winnebago Chieftain, 1976 Midas Mini
George Schweikle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 07:16 AM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
Welcome - when you come thru the DFW area give us a shout and we'll gladly show you the few sites around here... Check out the Texas Boomers club - we are hoping to meet with them soon....

but regarding the national parks - it's not which are 'missable' - every one I've visited has been awe inspiriing - that's why they are national parks ! so don;t miss a one if you pass by it We just got back from Hawaii and while stunning, I can honestly say some of the parks here had a more memorable effect....

Now, visiting at the right time of year makes them more enjoyable, because of the seasons, but enjoy them all !
Old 10-31-2012, 07:35 AM   #14
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Hi Barry & Dot! Welcome to IRV2! It's great to have you with us! WOW! You guys get around! You're going to really enjoy the trip out west. We took a 2-month trip out there back in May & June. Good luck, have fun, and God bless!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote