Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > New Member Check-In
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-22-2017, 09:01 PM   #1

Bubba On The Road

My wife and I are going full time when our apartment lease ends in July. We bought a 1988 Tiffin Allegro and are in the process of figuring out what the hell we are doing. We are going to do some remodel work, but the RV is in great condition so we dont have to do too much.

We don't have any kids and both of us are almost 40. We do have three cats though, and they will be coming with us. Part of the customization is adding things for them to climb on and places to hide and sleep.

I am on disability, so that is our main source of income, but we also have a blog and we are starting to build our YouTube channel so we can hopefully bring in some more income. It won't be much, but a little extra would be nice. We are also going to focus on dealing with mental illness while traveling and the things we go through, since I think that is something most people ignore or don't want to talk about.

We are currently in Wisconsin where I grew up, but have family in Florida so we will be going in that direction first. We plan to do a good amount of remodeling, like painting and putting in a vinyl tile floor for the cats, and will add solar once we get to Florida and have some more experienced help.

We don't have any long term plans really, but we want to stay where its warm and avoid too much social interaction. We will likely boondock a lot, but will also travel some and wander around seeing things.

We do love games though, so I'm trying to figure out a way to play games in new towns to both meet people and get my nerd on. I've been playing table top RPGs for decades, and that's almost impossible when not stationary, so I'm not sure how I'm going to do that. I've been getting into miniature war games though, so hopefully I can stop in a town, play a couple battles at the local hobby store and then move on. We are also trying to collect easy card games that we can play with others when we don't have neighbors, or games we can just play with the two of us.

For now though, its making sure everything works. I've got a long list of projects I need to take care of before we leave, and then a list of things to take care of later.
ebaierl is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-22-2017, 09:08 PM   #2
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club

Glad to have you here in the forum with us.

Congratulation on your move to full timing. Let us know if we can help.

Happy Trails!!!
TonyDi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2017, 09:08 PM   #3

Take your time so that your frustration rate is low. And, above all things... MAKE IT FUN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Just For Fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2017, 09:19 PM   #4

Yes, we will. Our lease is up at the end of July and I'm quitting my job either the second or third week of July, so we will have a little bit of time to move out. We are going to the storage lot every weekend and when we have to figure out what needs to be done.

When we go to Florida, its about a 1500 mile drive and we plan to do it in a month or so. We have done it a few times in a car in just two days, so this will be nice. We are looking at boondockerswelcome.com to find places to stop on the way and hopefully not go more than 100 miles a day at most. Maybe we'll stay at one place for a couple of days if we find people we like, but we are in no rush.
Old 04-22-2017, 09:48 PM   #5

Just realized I didn't explain the title.

My wife has a cat that is 13. His name is Marshall, but somewhere along the way, she nicknamed him Bubba. Its like her pet name for her, well, pet. Then she started calling the other cats Bubba as well. So we have Bubba, Bubba Zoe, Baby Bubba, and I've been nicknamed Bubba Man. So when we were looking for ideas for what to call our adventures and travels, I was chatting with a friend about it all and he suggested Bubba on the Road. it was available, so it has taken over everything.
Old 04-23-2017, 08:03 AM   #6

Tiffin Owners Club
Hola Bubbas congrats on the new rig and the new lifestyle. A very important thing to remember to pack...a good attitude.
Enjoy

momdoc
momdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2017, 08:26 AM   #7
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Hi ! Welcome to IRV2! We're sure glad you joined the gang!

Congrats on the new rig! Keep her between the ditches!

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2017, 05:16 PM   #8

Just thought I'd post an update. We moved into our RV on July 31st, stayed in Wisconsin for a month, then headed south towards Florida. We've stayed at a few campgrounds, bought a Thousand Trails Zone Pass, and have been using the hell out of it.

But then things went bad. While driving through Bowling Green, KY, our transmission went out. We got it towed to a campground nearby, fortunately there was a Thousand Trails campground about 30 miles away. Then we had a mobile mechanic come out to look at it. The tranny needed to be rebuilt, so he took it with him to rebuild at his shop.

Then he promptly did nothing. It took weeks to get him up, every time he said he was coming, something happened and he couldn't get here. Finally, I just told him to bring it back, I'd get it installed anywhere. Now take note that he said it was all ready to be installed two weeks before this.

We went to store one day when he said he was bringing back. Came back from the store to a empty tranny case, and three boxes full of parts. I'm not sure how that is supposed to be put back in, since it was supposedly all done and ready to go. I was pissed, to say the least. But I called around and got a reputable, BBB A+ rated transmission shop to come out and fix it.

That was the Friday before Thanksgiving. I call every few days to see how its going. Last thing I heard yesterday was that there was a part missing. Something about how the parking brake connects to the transmission. So the original mechanic has some part of mine, never brought it back, and disappeared. New mechanic said he'd have to do some digging to find a replacement part. So yeah, we're stuck.

We were supposed to be in Florida for Thanksgiving with my wife's family. That obviously did not happen. Now we are hoping to be there by Christmas. We'll see if that happens. I'm not betting on it.

Good thing is though, this campground is great, everyone is so nice, the management has taken us down the street to the grocery store once a week. I mean the people are nice, the bathrooms are clean, haven't been annoyed by anyone yet.

Yup. Trials and tribulations.
Old 12-10-2017, 10:51 AM   #9

Hi

this place is great

Safe travels
2015 GMC Denali 3500 SRW CC SWB
Stever53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2017, 12:01 PM   #10

Solo Rvers Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Quote:
Originally Posted by ebaierl View Post
... we had a mobile mechanic come out to look at it. The tranny needed to be rebuilt, so he took it with him to rebuild at his shop.

... I called around and got a reputable, BBB A+ rated transmission shop to come out and fix it.
Sad to say, you did that in the reverse of what you should have.

Sorry that things "went south" so quickly. Hope everything works out well in the end.
Randm Musing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 11:48 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randm Musing View Post
Sad to say, you did that in the reverse of what you should have.

Sorry that things "went south" so quickly. Hope everything works out well in the end.
Heh, yeah. I was trying to save money, and instead cost us a lot of time and headache. My wife is especially pissed about the whole thing because we were supposed to be in Florida for Thanksgiving. If we had the money at the time, we could have gotten it done in a few days and been on our way. But instead, I trusted someone who didn't a damn thing.
Old 12-11-2017, 12:35 PM   #12

First of all, I have never heard of a mobile tech doing powertrain work. I am sorry to hear that you got involved with a crook! But the savings grace is that the people at the campground are very helpful.
When you do get your trans finally fixed and on the road, what destination in Florida are you going. As there is a wude range of RV parks and prices, you should have an idea of this fact. One RV park that you may want to consider is Southern Air, north of Tampa in Homosassa. Mostly very friendly seniors, quite park, and low rates.
Dutch Master is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 06:38 PM   #13

We had originally thought it just needed the tranny filter replaced, but when he took the pan off, it was full of metal shavings, so it turned into a much bigger issue.

We have a Thousand Trails membership, so we had originally planned on staying at the one in Orlando. That would put us about an hour and a half away from our relatives though, and since our schedule got all messed up, we had to cancel our reservations and wait until we know when we are leaving.

My mother-in-law was asking everyone she knew for places we could stay closer to their city. One friend said we can stay on their property, with full hookups, for free. Its in the same town too, so we don't have to worry about traveling so far to get to family. I have a brother in same town too, so we'll probably stay there for a week or two. Depends on how long they'll let us stay actually.

After that, who knows. We might visit my sister in North Carolina, or we might go west to Texas, we really don't know at this point.