Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > New Member Check-In
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-01-2010, 02:03 AM   #1

Burning Man Bound (AKA Kamikaze Mission)

Hi... New member... New Rv'er... Old RV.

lol.

I've always wanted to have an RV, but just never had the means or a need for one.

Well, my fiance' and I decided to get married at the Burning Man Festival in Nevada, this year. We were planning on flying out, and flying out a bunch of our friends and family, as well.

About a month ago, we realized that it was going to cost so much for airfare and rental vehicles to accomodate the 11 people, that we could afford to just buy an RV, and chase it with our 08 Kia Rio.

So, I very blindly bought a 1985, Chevy G30 Honey 22 footer, with 71k miles on it. I knew nothing about the utility end of it(refer, furnace, ac etc.), but I've been in and out of the 350 carbeurated motor and all of the driveline components all of my life, so I felt I was a pretty good judge of it's ability to go down the road.

Frankly... if the amenities didn't work... or quit working, I'd be fine with it.

The Burning Man festival is a primitive camping, pack in/pack out, week long festival in the desert. So, before the RV was considered, we were expecting to go without ac, or showers, or plumbing, or refrigeration.

Anything extra is a bonus!

Before I go any further, I find it important to say that, what will be, will be.

I completely realize that 7 people in an rv of this size is pushing it, alone. Much less 7 people, all of their gear (very minimal, but, still a lot of weight), and a roof full of bikes, is asking a lot from the old girl.

She weighs 10,500 by herself, and crawls up hills at 15 mph, unloaded.

But, I'm bound and determined to get her there.

...in the August heat.

...over 3,000 miles.

I've got all new tires... spare, too.

I've got a new brake job.

I've got the will of a mountain.

And, if I only make it 500 miles before it craps out, we'll just party on the side of the road until the cops run us off, and go see a judge about the wedding, when we get home.

Oh... did I mention that the last 200 miles of the trip will be made with about 1,000 lbs of water to support us for the week in the desert?

I'll have about $3k set aside for towing and parts (I can work on anything short of trannny overhaul myself).

So, ummm... yeah.

That's my introduction.

I don't really need any tips... or help.

...I think I'm beyond that.

I plan on going to an RV center before the trip and making sure that the propane's not leaking. I can deal with breaking down. I can deal with putting her on her side in a ditch. But... I'm really trying not to blow myself up.

I just wanted to say hi... and let you know that if you're westbound on I-80 from August 26th to 30th, and see a broke down Honey model with all of the tires flat and a bunch of hippies holding signs that read "Need a ride to Burning Man", you should feel free to pull over and tell me what an idiot I am.

And if by some miracle I make it... I'll be writing here of my exploits and posting a link to pictures as soon as I get the sand washed out of my orifices, and get a penicilin shot or two.

Nice to meet you.

I'd love to hear your comments and words of discouragement!

Brandon Barre'

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-01-2010, 03:07 AM   #2

Burning man bound 2

Hi in response to your thread, Iv been to Burning Man myself quite a few times four with an RV and 1 with a tent. so far the RV wins out. Me and my wife missed out on going last year as we just got married in Sept and I dont think we wouldve got all of the sand out a week before the wedding but I do admire your willingness to get married in the dessert fair play I say. anyway after being there and throwing good money after bad renting rvs between 6 or so people for $4,500 plus a cleaning deposit I decided to buy my own. I just acquired a beautiful 1977 Chevy Itasca it was in a bad way when I bought it but iv done a lot of work and she looks great. I will keep my eyes peeled for you on the way to the Burn. Ill be heading up there on the Sunday before so it might just be you driving by me haha anyways gimme a beep, I hope it all goes well for you..peace out !
Quote:
Originally Posted by PlayaHoney View Post
Hi... New member... New Rv'er... Old RV.

lol.

I've always wanted to have an RV, but just never had the means or a need for one.

Well, my fiance' and I decided to get married at the Burning Man Festival in Nevada, this year. We were planning on flying out, and flying out a bunch of our friends and family, as well.

About a month ago, we realized that it was going to cost so much for airfare and rental vehicles to accomodate the 11 people, that we could afford to just buy an RV, and chase it with our 08 Kia Rio.

So, I very blindly bought a 1985, Chevy G30 Honey 22 footer, with 71k miles on it. I knew nothing about the utility end of it(refer, furnace, ac etc.), but I've been in and out of the 350 carbeurated motor and all of the driveline components all of my life, so I felt I was a pretty good judge of it's ability to go down the road.

Frankly... if the amenities didn't work... or quit working, I'd be fine with it.

The Burning Man festival is a primitive camping, pack in/pack out, week long festival in the desert. So, before the RV was considered, we were expecting to go without ac, or showers, or plumbing, or refrigeration.

Anything extra is a bonus!

Before I go any further, I find it important to say that, what will be, will be.

I completely realize that 7 people in an rv of this size is pushing it, alone. Much less 7 people, all of their gear (very minimal, but, still a lot of weight), and a roof full of bikes, is asking a lot from the old girl.

She weighs 10,500 by herself, and crawls up hills at 15 mph, unloaded.

But, I'm bound and determined to get her there.

...in the August heat.

...over 3,000 miles.

I've got all new tires... spare, too.

I've got a new brake job.

I've got the will of a mountain.

And, if I only make it 500 miles before it craps out, we'll just party on the side of the road until the cops run us off, and go see a judge about the wedding, when we get home.

Oh... did I mention that the last 200 miles of the trip will be made with about 1,000 lbs of water to support us for the week in the desert?

I'll have about $3k set aside for towing and parts (I can work on anything short of trannny overhaul myself).

So, ummm... yeah.

That's my introduction.

I don't really need any tips... or help.

...I think I'm beyond that.

I plan on going to an RV center before the trip and making sure that the propane's not leaking. I can deal with breaking down. I can deal with putting her on her side in a ditch. But... I'm really trying not to blow myself up.

I just wanted to say hi... and let you know that if you're westbound on I-80 from August 26th to 30th, and see a broke down Honey model with all of the tires flat and a bunch of hippies holding signs that read "Need a ride to Burning Man", you should feel free to pull over and tell me what an idiot I am.

And if by some miracle I make it... I'll be writing here of my exploits and posting a link to pictures as soon as I get the sand washed out of my orifices, and get a penicilin shot or two.

Nice to meet you.

I'd love to hear your comments and words of discouragement!

Brandon Barre'

Old 08-01-2010, 03:15 AM   #3

Awesome!

I'll keep my eyes open for ya... We'll be camping on 8:30, as close as we can get to the Esplenade, assuming we make it!

Stop by if you're in the neighborhood!

We'll fry some bacon up!

~Brandon~