Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > New Member Check-In
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-19-2010, 11:48 PM   #1

Gulf Streamers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Can I do this the rest of my life?

I know this must sound crazy, but my wife and I decided to sell our house and buy a used RV to fulfill our lifelong dream of living on the road. The kids are all grown and gone, and we're tired of taking care of a house. The thought of being nomadic excites both of us, then we ask each other are we sure we want to do this and we both say yes. I am very afraid.
Many years ago we had a 24' trailer and dreamed of having a motorhome. So I have a limited knowledge of RVing. We have been looking at 32' to 36' Class A gassers and love some of the layouts, but I am somewhat intimidated about the size of these behemoths. I have always been a car/truck nut, so I have a mechanical background that I think will come in handy. It's just that driving these things looks like it can be hairy.
Signed,
Need Encouragement
Wanabee FTer is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-20-2010, 12:10 AM   #2

Welcome to the forum! You will get lots of answers here and meet nice people.

Plenty of people safely drive coaches everyday. Thousands of folks are full timers who love it. You may find people who will tell you that driving a motorhome is easier and more comfortable than hauling a trailer.

We hate maintaining a yard too so we have a condo.

Good luck with your learning curve.
Old 07-20-2010, 06:32 AM   #3
Community Moderator

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Welcome to iRV2. My first experience at camping occurred after purchasing a 1987 34' class A in 1992. My friend who was encouraging me to get into camping told me to start where I would ultimately end up anyway.

We had a 700 mile trip home with our purchase and when we got half way home I pulled to the side of the road and told my DW I drove my 1/2 this far now you take your 1/2 the rest of the way home. She did and she has helped me drive since then. Don't be scared about size as you will be a pro in no time. Go for it.

Good luck;

Don
Don & Bev Morgan Weyauwega WI, 05 Itasca Horizon 40KD, 400 HP Cummins, Adopted by a great couple, Toad 07 Saturn Vue AWD, Air Force One, TST 510 TPMS, Mayor of Weyauwega 2007 - 2013, Waupaca Co Board Supervisor 2010 - 2014
Petro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 06:54 AM   #4

you only regret what you didn't do not what you did do. GO FOR IT you will love it I try to taske mine out all the time leaving for the mtn today for 6 days come home reload and leave 8/4 for SD bike rally wish we could fulltime.
squeak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 07:04 AM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Take a few Class A's for a drive. I'm sure you'll find that driving these rigs are no big chore, just have to leave a bit more room for stopping them and watch when making any turns. Oh, there are a few other things but you'll get the hang of it I'm sure. Find a floor layout you are comfortable with and a unit in the price range that suits your situation and go for it. We have been on the road all but about 3 1/2 weeks so far this year and love it. Wish the wifes health issues were better but we make the best of the time when she's feeling good. Have to head home in about a week and get the stick and brick on the market to sell. Don't know how that will work out as with the economic situation and all but still have to give a try. Well good luck with choices and get out on the open road and enjoy. As far as doing it for the rest of your life, only you'll be able to decide that.
Steve N Sal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 07:20 AM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
G'morning Wanabee FTer:

Hi from Mitchell, S. Dakota. Wife, Lynette, I, and three cats!!...did the same thing back in 05. Sold ALL..(ie., house, stuff, etc.), bought a diesel pusher, hooked up a tow car (w. canoe on top), and HIT DA ROAD!!! We had the same misgivings as you're encountering, BUT...., it's been a HOOT!!! Ya know what's funny?.....I've kinda been waiting and wondering when and/or IF we'll get the feeling that we ought to stop doing this and find some permanent spot again.....but it just isn't happening !!

We simply putz around the country, sometimes visiting relatives and/or friends for a bit, then move on. So far we've always found our way South during winter months (ie., Florida/Texas/Arizona, etc.) then kinda migrate Northward during the summer, sometimes to spend some time with family here in S. Dakota or Minnesota, then off to someplace we like to visit or want to see.

When ya first start, ya kinda worry about a number of things which ALL become part of your comfortable routine after a few months. Wish I had your mechanical experience...but I'm still learning.

One question: is there a reason you're electing to go with a gasser vs. a diesel? Just wondering.

Anyway, everyone is different, but OUR recommendation (from our experience and perspective) is to DO IT!! It's a wonderful "freeing" feeling once you get rid of all the stuff that has owned you. Enjoy!!, and.....WELCOME to iRV2.

Steve & Lynette
Old 07-20-2010, 08:22 AM   #7

We have been trying to sell our place for two years! We are sure we can live in our fifth wheel and doo what is necessary, we just can't get the chance to do it! We have it all planned out and are ready. Lucky you. Hope we will be on the road too, and soon.
tomncindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 08:36 AM   #8

Damon Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
The DW and I did the full time thing for almost 2 years. Unfortunately I still work so we are now back to sticks and bricks. Driving was no real problem, and most issues have already been covered. I think my biggest issue was cross wind. Class A's have a big profile so you have to work some in windy conditions. Other than that good luck.
Old 07-20-2010, 08:42 AM   #9

Wannabee, go with your Gut, the details will work themselves out, live your Dreams, in no time at all you will be wanting to trade up to a 45ft Rig, G
GENECOP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 09:29 AM   #10

Ford Super Duty Owner
Entegra Owners Club
fulltime is not for everyone only way you will know is to try it. As far as driving and using the motorhome you will get used to it quickly just take your time and relax Hapy Travels
gasser 38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 01:37 PM   #11

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I started out with an old Suburban and 2 different 30' trailers; then a 24' Class C and now have a 36' Class A gasser. Just takes a few miles to get comfortable with each.
G O F O R I T ! ! !
As for whether you can do it for the rest of your life - well, how long do you plan to live??? At some point you'll have to "put it in park", but until then you'll have the best times of your life!
Nick-B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 01:51 PM   #12

Gulf Streamers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
First of all I want to say Thank You to all who replied to my post. You all seem very friendly and supportive. I feel much more confident now after reading all the replies.
at Chickadee, I would prefer a diesel pusher over a gasser, but even used is too far out of my price range. A diesel in the price range I can afford will be at least 15 years old. I am also somewhat afraid of diesels because I know nothing about repairing them. I feel more comfortable with gas because of my automobile background.
Thanks again for the warm reception and hope to see all of you out on the road, or at least talk again on this forum.
JV
Wanabee FTer is offline   Reply With Quote