Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > New Member Check-In
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-06-2018, 04:37 PM   #1

Can this be done?

On August 1, 2018 I'm supposed to be leaving North Carolina in my new RV and heading to places unknown and a new, adventurous life. Problem is I haven't even decided on what type of RV I want never mind the purchasing part.

Since I am in this position due to some drastic life changes that I never expected or wanted I sought of thought maybe I'd be dead and not have to go through all these decision making life altering plans.

But alas I am still alive and kicking and finally excited about my RV future. I'm just hoping I can make it happen in under 90 days.

I have no RV experience so this is going to be tough. The hardest part of this was trying to decide on what type of RV would be best for 1 person to live in full time for a least a year.

I have decided on a Class C that doesn't have anything to do with Ford. I have joined iRV2 in hopes of becoming educated enough to make all of the above happen in my time line. Any help or tips would be greatly appreciated. I'll keep you posted!
Patch1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-06-2018, 04:42 PM   #2
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Hi ! Welcome to IRV2! We're sure glad you joined the gang!

Hope you find the perfect rig for your needs!

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!
MSHappyCampers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2018, 04:46 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Hi Patch,

Welcome to the Forum! Often things work out the way they should so apparently you are still supposed to be here. Glad to hear it.

Go to PPL Motorhomes website to look at floorplans for the Class C's or even a shorter Class A. Are you planning on towing a car or just driving the motorhome?

YouTube has all sorts of videos on anything RV'ing. How to empty your tanks, driving your rig, maintenance on your rig. Go look while you are trying to figure out which rig to buy.

Read old threads here. The more you read, the more you will be able to get in your rig and succeed. With that statement remember that we all make mistakes at this. It just happens.

Look up and old thread called "RV Fixes for Newbies and Oldies". To find it go to the search engine at the top right of the page. Enter a subject.

Keep coming back here to ask questions, lot's of helpful people here.

Lynne
beamisl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2018, 04:46 PM   #4

Forest River Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
Welcome from North Central Arkansas. Have you joined the class C forum on IRV2?

You should be able to get most of your questions answered.

Enjoy your travels.
BuzzWolfAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2018, 04:50 PM   #5

Heck yeah it can be done. Research is your friend and these forums are full of good info. Ask a bunch of questions. I researched for about six months, pulled the trigger on a used Class A and went full time without any RV experience. That was six years and over 100,000 miles. I personally would shoot for a quality used C. Ppl motorhomes has a bunch of used rvs on consignment that you can view online. First off pick a budget for your C and stick to it. Find where quality meets age to get to that number. Then it is all about floor plan. Follow the class C forum and the owners forums to get a feel for what the different brands are like. I dont have any experience with Cs, but i am sure someone will chime in here that does. Keep us posted on your progress and ask away.
Jake21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2018, 04:55 PM   #6

Patch
For anyone to provide any insight to what you can expect to find and experience there are a few things you need to inform us about.

Purchase Budget (new vs used) and size?

Travel expectancy? How many miles per year do you plan to travel. Some people stay parked for long periods.

How mechanically inclined are you? Can you perform regular service and repairs?

Even RV’s that are in good condition need constant attention to stay road worthy so just be prepared. Glad to have you aboard.
Jthigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2018, 05:19 PM   #7

Tiffin Owners Club
Welcome and yes it can be done. Remember floor plan is very important. Do read the various threads, forums and web sites suggested above and come back and ask a ton of questions. Good luck
momdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2018, 05:49 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Are you looking to buy new or used?

How much is your budget?

Have you ever used an RV?

Don't want Ford? That's going to limit your selection drastically for new units.
Arch Hoagland is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2018, 09:17 PM   #9
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club

Glad to have you here in the forum with us. You're gonna like it here.

Good luck with the search.

Happy Trails!!!
TonyDi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2018, 10:11 PM   #10

Hi

Good luck with your search

this place is great

Safe travels
2015 GMC Denali 3500 SRW CC SWB
Stever53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2018, 10:25 PM   #11

Two years ago wife and I were just starting to look for a RV. We did not own any and had not used one in many many years. (Then they had both been pop ups.)

We bought this coach in Sept. that year. So yes it can be done and while we don’’t full time we have over 6months and 15000 miles use from this coach.

Good luck on finding what fits you, just know yourself and needs.

Tom