Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > New Member Check-In
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-02-2015, 09:21 AM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Checking In

Hi All: Finally joined after lurking and learning for several months. DW and I are looking to retire early in a few years at age 57, and are leaning toward purchasing a new Winnebago Vista LX 30T. We have toured the factory in Forest City, and seen many different units and other brands including Thor and Forest River. We have also visited numerous dealers, as we strongly believe a good dealer is critical for long term satisfaction.

One thing we have not seen discussed however is advice regarding ordering a new RV. Most everything we've read and seen at dealers is to expect somewhere between 20 - 30% off MSRP; can we expect something similar on a custom order? I realize the best deals are always on end of season lot inventory, but any input / advice / lessons learned, would be most appreciated. I can anticipate and respect the buy used responses, but we really want to customize and order a new coach as we hope to keep it for 10 years (or more). Does anyone have advice regarding dealers - there is a Winnebago only dealer in Rockford IL (about an hour away), or Camping World in Madison (I am wary of them), or Lichtsinn (5 hours away). How important is it for the dealer to be close to home? (We will not be full timing in the near future.)

Thanks to all the members here, this is a fantastic resource!

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-02-2015, 09:26 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by PackerPower View Post
Hi All: Finally joined after lurking and learning for several months. DW and I are looking to retire early in a few years at age 57, and are leaning toward purchasing a new Winnebago Vista LX 30T. We have toured the factory in Forest City, and seen many different units and other brands including Thor and Forest River. We have also visited numerous dealers, as we strongly believe a good dealer is critical for long term satisfaction.

One thing we have not seen discussed however is advice regarding ordering a new RV. Most everything we've read and seen at dealers is to expect somewhere between 20 - 30% off MSRP; can we expect something similar on a custom order? I realize the best deals are always on end of season lot inventory, but any input / advice / lessons learned, would be most appreciated. I can anticipate and respect the buy used responses, but we really want to customize and order a new coach as we hope to keep it for 10 years (or more). Does anyone have advice regarding dealers - there is a Winnebago only dealer in Rockford IL (about an hour away), or Camping World in Madison (I am wary of them), or Lichtsinn (5 hours away). How important is it for the dealer to be close to home? (We will not be full timing in the near future.)

Thanks to all the members here, this is a fantastic resource!
I found after two new purchases that you get a better price by buying off the lot or at least out of a dealer's inventory (even if it is just inventory on paper-meaning a unit he knows is scheduled to be delivered to him soon). While I would love to customize, there are so few options offered that we have chosen to save the $$ instead.

sbleiweiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2015, 09:43 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Been to the Winnebago dealer in Rockford, as well as a couple of others in the Rockford area. They seemed professional, but I didn't buy there. It seems to me that the good dealers get discovered post-purchase as they deliver on their promises. Wound up buying direct from an owner. Good luck.
Old 10-02-2015, 09:43 AM   #4

Good luck with your new purchase

Our Blog
hal1phx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2015, 10:01 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Good luck on your purchase.
US Navy Vet.
Bruce C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2015, 10:34 AM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbleiweiss View Post
I found after two new purchases that you get a better price by buying off the lot or at least out of a dealer's inventory (even if it is just inventory on paper-meaning a unit he knows is scheduled to be delivered to him soon). While I would love to customize, there are so few options offered that we have chosen to save the $$ instead.
Very true; however, if we want to buy for next summer, and want the six-speed tranny (existing five-speed F53 is a deal breaker), we will have to order. I also think we will want dual AC and 50A, which is unlikely to show up on a dealer's lot in the spring.
Old 10-02-2015, 10:46 AM   #7

Looked at the Vista 30 with my brother a few months ago as he was in the market. Could not believe how spacious a 30' MH could be. Very impressed with the floor plan and at a price of $94,000 for a 2015 close out, I'm surprised he didn't jump in.

Good luck.
Wbonsell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2015, 10:52 AM   #8

Another suggestion would be to consider buying used first time around.
becks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2015, 12:26 PM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
denlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2015, 06:19 PM   #10
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Welcome to IRV2! We're sure glad you joined us!

Hope you find the perfect rig for your needs!

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2015, 08:43 PM   #11

Oklahoma Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Glad you joined us. Good luck on your purchase
Bobbo57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2015, 08:08 PM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
Thanks for all the replies. We are creeping toward a Bay Star 3124 vs the Vista 30T now; we like the floor plan better, and more importantly, the 22k chassis / 22.5" wheels. Both units price out pretty close on the MSRP, but the Newmar has more high end features than the Winnie. Considering we had originally decided we would not look at anything longer than 30 ft PERIOD, we have now broached that limit twice - with the 30T at 31 ft and now the Bay Star at 32 ft. Do any of you have strong opinions about going over this 30 ft threshold, or doesn't it really matter? I have been on both Winnie and Newmar owners forums and done my homework, it appears both mfr.'s are good and provide quality products and customer support. Any and all comments welcome, these decisions are really really hard!
Old 10-31-2015, 11:27 PM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
My first coach about 5 years ago was a 32ft Winnebago. We have camped lots of state and national parks and never had an an issue with length. For the past 2 years we have owned a 39ft Newmar Canyon Star and I don't really find length much of an obstacle. As far as your choice between Winnebago vs. Newmar - I much prefer my Newmar!
Old 11-02-2015, 07:35 AM   #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrCosio View Post
My first coach about 5 years ago was a 32ft Winnebago. We have camped lots of state and national parks and never had an an issue with length. For the past 2 years we have owned a 39ft Newmar Canyon Star and I don't really find length much of an obstacle. As far as your choice between Winnebago vs. Newmar - I much prefer my Newmar!
Thanks Mr. Cosio, that's great feedback!