Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > New Member Check-In
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-20-2015, 11:24 AM   #1

checking in

Hello everyone!

I have been following the forums for a few months and decided it was finally time to join in. Hubby and I have been talking about the RV life since we were camping with the kids many years ago. Now seems to be the time to make things happen. We will be snow birds for the near future...at least until the house sells.

We have gone around the world about the type of rig we want to buy. We had the entire Class A/Class C/5th wheel/travel trailer discussion and after much deliberation, we think a newer (< 5 years old) 30 - 35' class A gasser will fit our needs best. (at least that's where we are this week lol).

Our plan is to drive to Florida in January and stay with my son in Tampa. We will go to the Tampa RV show, then afterwards, hit some of the lots hoping our ideal rig is somewhere nearby. (we assume there may be a number of trade-ins at that time).

Afterwards, we would like to stay in Florida, at least for a little while to get to know the RV and spend time with family. My biggest fear is finding a campground in Florida in Jan/Feb.

I would be interested in knowing if our plan sounds reasonable or not. Looking forward to virtually meeting everyone.

Jo-Ann
threadbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-20-2015, 01:09 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by threadbear View Post
Hello everyone!

I have been following the forums for a few months and decided it was finally time to join in. Hubby and I have been talking about the RV life since we were camping with the kids many years ago. Now seems to be the time to make things happen. We will be snow birds for the near future...at least until the house sells.

We have gone around the world about the type of rig we want to buy. We had the entire Class A/Class C/5th wheel/travel trailer discussion and after much deliberation, we think a newer (< 5 years old) 30 - 35' class A gasser will fit our needs best. (at least that's where we are this week lol).

Our plan is to drive to Florida in January and stay with my son in Tampa. We will go to the Tampa RV show, then afterwards, hit some of the lots hoping our ideal rig is somewhere nearby. (we assume there may be a number of trade-ins at that time).

Afterwards, we would like to stay in Florida, at least for a little while to get to know the RV and spend time with family. My biggest fear is finding a campground in Florida in Jan/Feb.

I would be interested in knowing if our plan sounds reasonable or not. Looking forward to virtually meeting everyone.

Jo-Ann
Sounds like a great plan! I have done consulting for people who are going to purchase an RV and you are doing exactly what I Recommend to my clients. The only additional piece of advice is to find an Independent service person to give your unit the once over BEFOR you make the final payments/commitment and take delivery. They can find any problems and have them corrected, by the seller, before you agree to buy. It will cost a few dollars but may help save thousands.
An extended warranty is great if your unit qualifies.
Trekgrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2015, 01:26 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
denlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2015, 06:03 PM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Hi Jo-Ann,

Welcome to the forum. This is a great place to learn what you need to know about buying and RV.

Check out PPL RV in Texas. Their website actually. It is a great place to look because they have pictures going through the rig and you can start to see what interests you.

We came here a year ago and bought our 33ft class A in May. LOVE IT! and love this lifestyle. Gotta work another 14 months then fulltime.

Some of the advice I received here was to go to RV dealerships. Ditch the salesman and sit in the rig for a while. Is there enough room inside for both of you if it rains for a few days? Does the kitchen work for you? Walk around and pretend like you are cooking something. Is there enough space for both of you to cook if you do that?

The bathroom. Can you fit in the shower, can you turn around in it, does the furniture fit your frame properly, do you like the colors? One slide, two slides, three? STORAGE? Is there enough? Some MH's have good storage space and others are small. Will chairs fit inside, compressor, a small fridge for drinks outside, space for a container for extra clothes or paper supplies and soap? Lot's to think about and look for.

Can you see the TV comfortably or is it going to give you a crick in your neck? Does it feel like home?

Meanwhile go to YouTube and enter "Dumping your black and grey tanks" "Leveling your RV" "Setting up in a campground" Anything you want to learn is there and here. I read a lot of old threads on anything and everything. Lot's of good info there. Cooking in your RV, cleaning your RV, just so much info here.

SIMPLE GREEN! It is a cleaning product and WOW does it do a great job. Do yourself a favor and get some, you won't regret it.

You are getting into a great field. You will have a lot of fun but RVs like anything else also break down and need constant care and repairs. But it's worth it! Continue reading and ask whenever you have a question and of course when you get your rig please take a picture and post it. We love to oooohhh and aaaahhh over each others rigs.

So welcome to the forum, Lynne
beamisl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2015, 06:34 PM   #5
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Hi Jo-Ann! Welcome to IRV2! We're sure glad you joined us!

Hope you find the perfect rig for you needs!

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2015, 06:48 PM   #6

Thank you all for the warm welcome!

Trekgrr: it made me feel good that we are on the right track. We do intend to find an independent RV service person to go over the rig if possible.

Beamisl: You may have our rig!!! We are looking for a Winnebago Sightseer/Itasca Sunova 33C. We love the layout, the slides opposite each other, the large shower (hubby is 6'3"). We want the unit with the buffet so the TV would be opposite the couch. Are you happy with it? Also, great advice on dealing with the tanks. What did we ever do without youtube?

MSHappyCampers: Thank you for the welcome! You have my parent's names...which is why I'm Jo-Ann
threadbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2015, 07:35 PM   #7

Ford Super Duty Owner
welcome to irv2 You will enjoy the new life you about to encounter.Keep your eyes on the movie(big screen) there is a lot to take in Enjoy
aschuh53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2015, 09:54 AM   #8

Good luck with your search .... Take your time ... you'll find the right one.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
hal1phx is offline   Reply With Quote