Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > New Member Check-In
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-15-2016, 03:58 PM   #1

Checking in from Michigan -

Hello everybody!! I'm a new mh owner from the Flint side of Michigan. I'm playing around with an '88 Sportsman Pathfinder 31' with a 454 gas guzzler and a lot of work left to do

I wanted an older rig to learn on, because I don't get the complicated electronics of newer motors. I kind of like having something that didn't have complicated electronics on the motor so I can work on it.

My first thing I did after buying it was dropping it off to the mechanics. The braking system had never been gone through... All new seals, bearings, calipers, wheel bearings and rubber hoses. The kind of stuff I can't do in my driveway without the tools I don't have anymore. After that, I replaced the 15 year old house batteries and tried it out.

Nothing. Everything worked at the guys house I bought it from, and again at the mechanic's (plugged into shore power). So I get out my multi-meter and find out that the auto transfer switch was fried. Tried soldering in a new diode but it blew out right away. So I ordered a new ATS and upgraded the old magnateck converter.

I could have gone newer and more expensive, but I must admit, I'm having fun learning the systems intimately. I originally floated this plan by my wife as a mobile writing office, thinking I was about to die... After I flinched and found out I wasn't dead... I found out she was gung-ho and on board. With kids ranging from 21 to <1, 2 dogs etc... a 31' motor-home was perfect for when she wanted to go up north and get away from it all.

I must admit, I was surprised she was on board... But now I've also got a writers cave that I can unhook from shore power here at the house... drive wherever... and have enough juice w/o plugging in for a long day away from the house and still keep a beer cold. Salut!
Boyd3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-15-2016, 06:41 PM   #2
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Hi! Welcome to IRV2! We're sure glad you joined the gang!

Congrats on the new rig! Keep her between the ditches!

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2016, 07:21 AM   #3
Community Moderator

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Boyd3;

We are pleased you joined us. Congratulations on the purchase of your first RV. My first RV was a 87 Pace Arrow 34'. I really enjoyed working on my rig. I did most of the service on it. Browse the forums that interest you and don't be afraid to ask questions. Our members like to help when they can. Enjoy the forums.

Don
Don & Bev Morgan Weyauwega WI, 05 Itasca Horizon 40KD, 400 HP Cummins, Adopted by a great couple, Toad 07 Saturn Vue AWD, Air Force One, TST 510 TPMS, Mayor of Weyauwega 2007 - 2013, Waupaca Co Board Supervisor 2010 - 2014
Petro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2016, 07:37 AM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Hello and welcome from a fellow Michigander!

May the roads rise up to meet you, May the winds be always at your back...
Pepper2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2016, 07:56 AM   #5
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club

Glad you joined us here in the forum.

Happy Trails!!!
TonyDi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2016, 08:39 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boyd3 View Post
.......go up north and get away from it all.

Being from Flint myself it brings back memories hearing someone say, " Go(ing) up north". Many folks take I75 "up north" every weekend. The rest of the country have no idea we're talking about only a 1-3 hr trip to get away. Funny!
okcnewbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2016, 02:16 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by okcnewbie View Post

Being from Flint myself it brings back memories hearing someone say, " Go(ing) up north". Many folks take I75 "up north" every weekend. The rest of the country have no idea we're talking about only a 1-3 hr trip to get away. Funny!
LOL! So true! For me, it's more like 4 hours or 5 hours, but that's because we're a bit off the beaten path once we leave 75 in Gaylord.
Old 05-21-2016, 04:27 PM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Boyd3,

Welcome to the Forum! I live in MI about 40 to 50 minutes from you. Sounds like you've got quite a project on your hands but these older rigs can be amazing!

There is a thread called "Vintage RV's" Take a minute and check it out. There is a lot of info there and a lot of guys with some amazing skills. I think you will find it very informative.

At least it is finally warm here and camping should be nice over the Memorial Day Weekend. Enjoy your rig, Lynne
beamisl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2016, 04:12 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by beamisl View Post
Boyd3,

Welcome to the Forum! I live in MI about 40 to 50 minutes from you. Sounds like you've got quite a project on your hands but these older rigs can be amazing!

There is a thread called "Vintage RV's" Take a minute and check it out. There is a lot of info there and a lot of guys with some amazing skills. I think you will find it very informative.

At least it is finally warm here and camping should be nice over the Memorial Day Weekend. Enjoy your rig, Lynne
Thanks Lynne! It's going to be fun, and this week is our first big family adventure!!
Old 05-23-2016, 07:49 PM   #10

American Coach Owners Club
Welcome to the forum, I'm new too.
I'm a first time motor home owner as well, mines "vintage" also, you do have me beat by 5 years though.
Bob P. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2016, 07:57 PM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
Welcome aboard, kind of new here myself but have learned a bunch from reading the comments found here. Also from Michigan near Clarkston. Good Luck
More-Gas is offline   Reply With Quote