Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > New Member Check-In
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-09-2005, 06:09 PM   #1

Hello,
I am new to this board, and RV'ing. My wife and I are looking to buy our first RV. We have two small children, one is 3 yrs and the other is 10 months. We are having difficulty deciding whether to purchase a Class C, or a travel trailer. We are looking for some insight from some seasoned RV'ers.
Can anyone give us some ideas on why we would favor one type of RV over another?

-I've noticed that the Class C's all seem to have an onboard generator, while trailers do not? Why is this?
-Other than being able to "drop" a trailer, and drive locally with your vehicle, are there any other advantages to having a trailer versus a Class C?
I guess we are looking for someone with experience to explain the advantages and disadvantages of having each. Any insight would be greatly appreciated, thanks in advance!
wallacemf is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-09-2005, 06:09 PM   #2

Hello,
I am new to this board, and RV'ing. My wife and I are looking to buy our first RV. We have two small children, one is 3 yrs and the other is 10 months. We are having difficulty deciding whether to purchase a Class C, or a travel trailer. We are looking for some insight from some seasoned RV'ers.
Can anyone give us some ideas on why we would favor one type of RV over another?

-I've noticed that the Class C's all seem to have an onboard generator, while trailers do not? Why is this?
-Other than being able to "drop" a trailer, and drive locally with your vehicle, are there any other advantages to having a trailer versus a Class C?
I guess we are looking for someone with experience to explain the advantages and disadvantages of having each. Any insight would be greatly appreciated, thanks in advance!
wallacemf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2005, 07:27 PM   #3

Welcome to iRV2, wallacemf. Your questions will generate a lot of answers and opinions.

Have you ever owned an RV of any kind? We previously had 2 tent trailers before we decided to buy a more permanent RV. We had the same questions you do, except we had towed small trailers before.

We rented a Class C for 5 days, traveling about 1000 miles, some in inclimate weather. Since our tent trailers only had the "basics" we were impressed by all the nice features, including generator, microwave, complete bathroom, etc. What did not work for us was the overhead bunk, and the RV we rented did not have a separate bedroom as the longer ones do.

We decided we were still "trailer trash" and opted for a 28' travel trailer that the two of us call home when we travel. We like the advantage of being able to park the trailer and sightsee in our truck. Many people prefer to tow a car/SUV behind a motorhome, and that is a matter of personal choice. We like the trailer, because if the tow vehicle ever has to be replaced (after 100,000-200,000 miles) you can do it more cost effectively than buying a new motorhome, or keeping an old motorhome and go the expense of buying a new engine or drive train. Again, a matter of personal preference.

Travel trailers can be equipped with generators, usually offered as an option. 5th wheel trailers also offer generators, if that is important to you.

Most RV dealers will rent motorhomes and trailers (altho' you probably need the truck to tow a trailer as they don't usually offer them in the rental). My suggestion, try them on for size before you make the decision to buy. You won't be sorry, and it's a small fee to make sure you don't make a "large" mistake.

Good shopping.

2002 Thor Tahoe 23FBGL TT, 28'
Paul Heuvelhorst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2005, 03:52 AM   #4
Administrator in Memoriam

Appalachian Campers
Hello 'wallacemf',

Welcome to iRV2, we're really glad to have you here as a new member and are looking forward to reading your posts about your RVing experiences and adventures. You'll find a great bunch of folks on this site who are very knowledgeable of RVing, the rigs we use, and the places we go in them.

As you'll see, they're eager to help and share their knowledge and experiences with others.

The choice between a Class 'C' versus a Travel Trailer is a tough call, both have advantages and disadvantages. Paul has given a good reply and pointed out several of the pluses and minuses of each.

Keep in mind there is no 'just right' rig for all applications, whatever one has will require some trade offs on the pluses and minuses. I've always thought a motorhome would have the advantage when someone does a lot of traveling, spending shorter times at destinations. The trailers seem to lend themselves to staying put for a while.

These aren't hard fast rules, just my opinion and I'm sure there are a lot of differing opinions on how a rig can be used.

Again, welcome to iRV2, we're glad you joined.
Old 01-10-2005, 05:48 AM   #5
Moderator in Memoriam

Monaco Owners Club
Howdy and Welcome to IRV2 ;

As you see you will get answers to your question. As this is the welcome area I moved your Question to IRV2 General Discussion So it can be seen by more members. Please leave this area for welcomes.
Old 01-10-2005, 05:50 AM   #6
CD

wallacemf
You got some good advice in the above posts. My advice is to avoid a 1/2ton TV unless you will be using a tent traler or a small TT (probably 20' or smaller). I know there are people that will disagree with me but I have towed with a car, 1/2 ton, 3/4ton & now the dually. I have also gone up in size but each case I have pulled the same TT with a bigger TV. In each case was a big improvement. I have not owned a moterhome but did use mother-in-laws Class C a few yrs. ago. The thing to be careful with motorhome is engine size if you want to tow a car. Sometimes we had to unhook the car going upgrades & drive it up. I also drove brother-in-laws 5er. It handles better than a TT but are usually heavier. There's a lot of trade offs. Good Luck.

'01 3500 Ram QC HO 6sp. BD Exhaust Brake
CD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2005, 05:57 AM   #7

wallacemf, Welcome to the IRV2 forum, glad you stop in, I see you already have gotten some good responses to your question.
The travel trailer for the most part will be less expensive than the Class "C", and have less maintenance, depending of course on the brand ( manufacture ) and model of each.
Hope that helps. Ed
Old 01-15-2005, 03:44 AM   #8

Texas Boomers Club
We just came from the local (S Texas) RV show --- saw a couple of travel trailers that would be right up your alley! Two bedroom models -- 2nd has 2 bunk beds, just right for kids. Another thought is a Toy Hauler -- available as a travel trailer as well as a 5th wheel. Rear of these trailers can contain your "toys" - like off road 4 wheelers, etc. When not carrying 'toys' you have room for bunks, etc.

A LOT of options out there.... enjoy looking..

don
Don in E Texas is offline   Reply With Quote