Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > New Member Check-In
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-25-2007, 07:53 PM   #1

I'm a new owner of an 07 Canyon Star 32'.It seems to roll or sway alot, especially on uneven turns or dips into campground site or gas station. Also noticeable on open road making simple corrections. How much sway is too much? My previous rig was 1 foot shorter, so should I just "get used to it"? I've gone about 900 miles and am still not comfortable.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-25-2007, 07:53 PM   #2

I'm a new owner of an 07 Canyon Star 32'.It seems to roll or sway alot, especially on uneven turns or dips into campground site or gas station. Also noticeable on open road making simple corrections. How much sway is too much? My previous rig was 1 foot shorter, so should I just "get used to it"? I've gone about 900 miles and am still not comfortable.

Old 10-25-2007, 09:05 PM   #3
Community Moderator

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Welcome doublehawk to the Newmar forum and irv2.
Congrats on your new coach & Newmar.
Its to early to add trac bars on front or rear axels until you get your coach weight and load balanced within coach. You will also have the correct air pressures for you tires by using correct air pressure for the load carried on each axel.
If you still seem to have a problem than you could start with a rear track bar. If you have a Ford chassis you may already have a front trac bar. Getting the coach weight may solve your problem without additional add ons.
Enjoy the forum and do post often.
If you want some Newmar KARMA just let us know.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2007, 01:06 AM   #4
Community Moderator

Country Coach Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Gulf Streamers Club
doublehawk, welcome to iRV2.com. We are glad to have you join us here and look forward to reading of your adventures and experiences. Congratulations on the new Canyon Star. You have gotten good advice. Start there and hopefully it will drive good. Take care and enjoy the website and forum.
06 Saturn Vue, 06 Chevy Z71 4x4 & 2014 Corvette Z51 M7
RV Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2007, 10:22 AM   #5

Thanks for responding so quick. Your advice to balance the load & check the weight, plus check the tire inflation seems right-on with other comments I'm reading. I'll do that first. But it seems to me if I've spent this much $$ on a brand new rig, I shouldn't have to add equipment to get the rig riding right. Did I just pick a rig that's too tall for it's length and wheelbase? This is a Workhorse 22k, wheelbase 208" with 32'9" length, on 19.5 tires. I'm still considering "giving" it back and changing brands...the Allegro 32 has a longer wheelbase and driveability is rated much higher by RV Consumer Group. Or, would larger tires help...22.5? Any comments?
Old 10-26-2007, 11:33 AM   #6

doublehawk, Welcome to the IRV2 website, it sounds by your statement that you never driven this floorplan/ coach prior to taking delivery and your in a quandry now on how the coach handles, I hope that wasn't the case if it is then start with some of the suggestions already given to you and hopefully this will help your situation, keep the forum posted if you will need further help. Ed.S
Old 10-26-2007, 11:56 AM   #7
Community Moderator

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
I have a W-22 chassis with a 37' coach its heavy and I have a great ride but on 22.5 tires.
You will not be able to change out tires because of clearences in rear wheel wells and front end wells.
I owned four Ford chassis before, two under Newmars, ALL WITH 19.5 TIRES. So I knew how they drove and road after some modifications to the chassis because of the heavier Newmar box.
The first ride in my new coach on W-22 was a pleasent surprise to me even before having it loaded and weight. I figured WH had to be an improvement over the Fords and it was.
If you test drove this coach did you feel the type of drive you get now.
One big item is tire inflation your tires may now be up near 100 psi my coach is 85 rear and 90 front for the load I carry. Makes for a quiter ride and smoother handeling.
The only things I have added was BILSTIEN shocks, which you should have now and a Henderson Trac-bar to cut down wind that will buffet the box. The size of your box you may not need.
What ever you do drive the coach under the same conditions you drive this one now if you change chassis just to be fair to yourself in deciding.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2007, 07:10 AM   #8

Mid Atlantic Campers
Workhorse Chassis Owner
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by doublehawk:
Thanks for responding so quick. Your advice to balance the load & check the weight, plus check the tire inflation seems right-on with other comments I'm reading. I'll do that first. But it seems to me if I've spent this much $$ on a brand new rig, I shouldn't have to add equipment to get the rig riding right. Did I just pick a rig that's too tall for it's length and wheelbase? This is a Workhorse 22k, wheelbase 208" with 32'9" length, on 19.5 tires. I'm still considering "giving" it back and changing brands...the Allegro 32 has a longer wheelbase and driveability is rated much higher by RV Consumer Group. Or, would larger tires help...22.5? Any comments? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Welcome to the IRV2 Website !!

Your experience is somewhat similar to what we had and I slowly made changes and tested each one to see if we got the improvement expected before moving on to the next change.

Ultimately I found a combo that worked. This turned out be a rear Track bar, Bilstein shocks and tire pressure (90F and 85R), plus redistribution of the load of stuff we carry.

I also found that road conditions, service station entry points, etc. can give a varied ride and handling response. There is NO perfect ride, but you can minimize the problems.

If you are serious about another unit, test drive it where you might have suspect ride and handling conditions.
FLYTYER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2007, 02:03 PM   #9

Texas Boomers Club
I test drove some Class "A's" prior to my choice to do a bus conversion. One thing I did note was IF the front tires were way in (narrow track) from the side of the coach, it would really sway. Felt "loose"... those that had the front tires close to the outer edge (a wider track) would really ride well. Check your coach from a front view - just a suggestion.

Also the 22.5 tires might be a clue to a heaver chassis, I don't know. The 22.5 size tires are on my truck and also on my bus.

No help for you, I'm sure -- just my observation.

Don
b0b
Old 10-28-2007, 06:39 PM   #10

Hi doublehawk and welcome to iRV2. You've already found how friendly and helpful our members are.

If interested, come visit us in the iRV2 Chatters chat room. We're there just about every evening from about 8:30pm eastern until about 10:00pm. It's a great bunch of folks!

Skip- Kerrville, TX is offline   Reply With Quote