Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > New Member Check-In
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 11-23-2010, 04:18 PM   #1
iRV2 No Limits Club
Compass Rose

A couple of years back we saw RV Crazy on the travel channel and fell in love with teardrop trailers. I started my home work in studying restorations of old trailers and what needed to be replaced (wood, wood and more wood and some rusty steel).
I wanted it to be roomy (I know seems like and oxymoron when talking about a teardrop) and I wanted it to be suitable for boon-docking. I found the first Mega-Mini made with all aluminum frame (no rust and no rot) with queen size bed lots of storage and a hot water heater and 14gal fresh water tank and sink. This was an updated grasshopper design 6X10 and tipped the scale at 1150#. They asked for feed back and subsequent models incorporated my suggestions, two side doors so you don't have to crawl over the partner for that midnight potty trip...
To make a long story short we traded #1 for #7 which has all of the improvements and more including gas electric water heater, 19 flat screen, all LED lights, satellite dish, shower, the biggest tongue box I could find, 200W solar panels, AC, custom galley cabinets designed by my wife, and Keder rail on three sides to use custom made tarps by Paha Que Design, air adjustable suspension... All in a trailer that can be towed by a Subaru Outback.
The Teardrop ensures you will spend time outside and we are members of the Buckeye chapter of Tearjerkers (very social group) and I am also on the Teardrop&Tiny Travel Trailer forum.

Shadowcatche is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-24-2010, 06:50 AM   #2
iRV2 Marketing
Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Originally Posted by Shadowcatche View Post
The Teardrop ensures you will spend time outside and we are members of the Buckeye chapter of Tearjerkers (very social group) and I am also on the Teardrop&Tiny Travel Trailer forum.
The Teardrop trailer retains a lot of popularity for RV'ers both as a niche (clubs & associations) product and as a lightweight RV (beginner RV and alternate to a pop-up). Towable by most any vehicle that one would want to use for the task, the outlay to get on the road and RV is very modest and fits most budgets comfortably.

I expect that I will see many upscale Teardrops at the 2010 RVIA Exposition and I hope to be able to write a short article about what I have seen as new for 2011.

03 Adventurer 38G, Workhorse W22
F&R Track Bars, Safety+ , Ultrapower, Taylor Extremes, SGII
TST 507, Blue Ox, SMI, Koni FSD, CrossFire
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2010, 08:52 AM   #3
iRV2 No Limits Club
There are a number of factors involved in the revival of the teardrop popularity. You can build one your self and that can run from one made entirely of two ply cardboard and chopper gun fiberglass strong enough to stand on built by an individual in South Africa to some truly gorgious woody's that I have seen first hand. They can be towed with most any vehicle from a motorcycle (small) to a truck or SUV. The can be as elaborate or as simple as you wish.
I know of a number of individuals who have given up fifth wheels and large motor homes to buy a teardrop.
One of the problems I see with in the "teardrop" industry is the lack of thinking outside the conventional RV stick built 30+year old construction techniques, and this is reflected with in home builders as well. One reason I bought the Mega-Mini is the all aluminum frame. The chassis is 2X4 aluminum the wall framing is 1X1.5 .060 tube, strong enough to stand on.
If you want a glimpse into the teardrop community come to a Tearjerker gathering or the International Teardrop Gathering in Mindin Nebraska
Old 11-27-2010, 03:29 PM   #4
Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Welcome Shadowcatche,
Sounds like a wonderful little trailer. Do you have any pictures to share?
Travel well, travel safe,
2006 Tiffin Phaeton - 2011 Cadillac SRX
historyljc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2010, 12:40 PM   #5
iRV2 No Limits Club
It was supposed to be Shadow Catcher but for some reason the program would not accept that last letter. I have put a few pictures in the album and when we take delivery will do a much more through job.