Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > New Member Check-In
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-27-2013, 08:18 PM   #1

Condensation avoidance? Retired & buying a fifth-wheel to place in rural East Texas

This will be my first experience of RV living but I spent both college and grad school in tiny single rooms in dorms so this will be spacious by comparison. But I like the idea of downsizing and avoiding ridiculously high property taxes on my former abode.

Any recommendations for learning what I need to know about avoiding condensation/mold issues about 130 miles inland from Houston coastline?
PaulAllen is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-27-2013, 08:24 PM   #2

Excel Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
A well constructed "full Time" rig and good ventilation. Even then in-land from Houston you may need a dehumidifier.
chief02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 09:18 PM   #3
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner

You can do a search here on iRV2 and most likely find instant answers if your in a hurry.
See My Pace Arrow Upgrades
JohnRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 09:32 PM   #4

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Dual pane windows and good insulation like our Dutch Star has and it's not even rated for full time use according to the owners manual.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2013, 02:59 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
from NH.
US Navy Vet.
Bruce C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2013, 03:55 AM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Welcome aboard and glad you joined us. Dual pane windows would be a must and as long as your a/c is working properly and you have good air circulation within the rv you should be good to go. Good Luck!
Steve N Sal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2013, 07:04 AM   #7
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Hi Paul! Welcome to IRV2! It's great to have you join the gang!

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2013, 01:30 PM   #8

>Dual pane windows would be a must and as long as your a/c is working properly and you have good air circulation within the rv you should be good to go. Good Luck!
>

I'm assuming that for anything over 30' (or even less), two ACs will be necessary in East Texas summers. But as to that "good air circulation", is that possible without a central air blower running continuously?

I"m very concerned about condensation and mold issues so I assume that getting moving air into every cranny is vital. Will I find that I need to open cabinet doors overnight (at least) during the winter in order to avoid condensation damage and/or mold in such locations? (I know that everyone will probably say, "Not if you have good insulation", but it is rarely easy to evaluate how well and continuously the walls are insulated behind an installed kitchen.

I've constructed portable sheds/offices for Texas use and find that this "intermediate climate belt" that appears in the energy maps as about 150 to 200 miles wide is peculiar in being in-between the heating and cooling climates where vapor barriers are recommended. I've considered embedding USB temp/humidity sensors in various wall locations and then simply "overheat and ventilate" when my software indicates condensation risks. But I'm wondering just how much difficulty fifth wheel owners have had in this Austin/San Antonio/College Station climate belt. There are so many bad stories out there involving molds and wall damage.

Thank you all for your friendliness to a newcomer. Much appreciated.
PaulAllen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 02:39 AM   #9

Country Coach Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Welcome and glad to meet you!
FMCA #F431170, GS #822128658, Escapees SKP #112655
2012 Airstream Mercedes Interstate Class B
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Medico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 09:19 AM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
Moisture build up is a problem with most RVs due to the smaller volume. What we do to control moisture is make sure we keep the RV ventilated when cooking and showering. We also keep one roof vent cracked open during the winter. The wamer and moist air will rise and vent.

I know this is contrary to what you would think about keep the RV closed up tight to conserve heat, but you do need to vent to control moisture.

The body releases a lot of moisture with each breath, plus the skin releases moisture. Any cooking will also release moisture into the air.

Another thing to do is to use a squeegee to wipe down the shower walls and get rid of the moisture potential.

Have fun in the RV.

ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
texas