Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > New Member Check-In
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-06-2005, 06:48 PM   #1

not sure how to ask this.... we thought we wanted a 5th wheel(we looked at lots of them)....but we want to do a lot of exploring in our new adventuer so to speak...and have been given the advice that a motorhome or class c might be better...soooooo....can we have a little feedback and opinons on what you think is the best choice and why......we both have read all the stuff ..you know...how are going to travel,how long you gonna stay put in one place etc on on and on.....just a little input from the serious boondocker,fulltimer

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-06-2005, 06:48 PM   #2

not sure how to ask this.... we thought we wanted a 5th wheel(we looked at lots of them)....but we want to do a lot of exploring in our new adventuer so to speak...and have been given the advice that a motorhome or class c might be better...soooooo....can we have a little feedback and opinons on what you think is the best choice and why......we both have read all the stuff ..you know...how are going to travel,how long you gonna stay put in one place etc on on and on.....just a little input from the serious boondocker,fulltimer

Old 09-06-2005, 07:18 PM   #3

iRV2 No Limits Club
Hey Maircott, Sounds like you want to do a lot of poking around places like we do, so we have a B+, that is 23feet long 7.5feet wide and 10feet tall, inside is 6' 3" tall, 7' wide and 18' from the back to behind the driver seat. We went from a 32 foot TT to this in our old age and find that we go MANY more places than we did when we used the TT. Also we find that a BIG inverter and as many golf cart batteries as possible is very handy so you can run fans and a microwave + the satellite reciever.

See yall in the funnies, Warren
WAGM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2005, 11:15 PM   #4

Outdoors RV Owners Club
confused
This is the age old $64,000 question to which there is no right answer - except what works for you. I prefer to have a trailer that acts as a homebase and use my tow vehicle to see the sights around the homebase. I usually camp within 100 mi of my house and tend to stay for a weekend - sometimes longer. This is me - not necessarly you.

Here are some questions to ask yourself
What kind of recreation do you like?
do you have motorcycles,ATVs etc? (consider a toy hauler)
Do you have a boat or are thinking about one (this leans towards a MH or Camper as in most states you can not bumper tow a boat behind a trailer)

Do you have a tow vehicle or will you have to purchase it as well?

What do your friends that you will be camping with have? - buy the opposite. I used to camp with a lot of people with MHs and boats. They used my pu to launch the boats and when one of them got hurt I ran them to the local ER. They also let me use their boats.

It is fairly easy to find MH for rent - so rent one and try it out for a weekend and then take it on a trip - see how well you like it - or not like it.
Old 09-07-2005, 12:08 PM   #5

Another thing to keep in mind is that in the off season, with a MH you still have a drivetrain that needs exercised. Registration and insurance is normally higher than a trailer. Good luck. John
2003 Dodge Crew Cab, 4X4, Ca. Cummins, Limited slip, 3.73, 48re, T-Rex nerf bars, Rhino Liner, B&W Turnover Ball, B&W Companion, Prodigy. 2005 Wildcat 29BHBP, 1987 HR Aluma-Lite XL 35', 1500W inverter, 3 solar panels, 3 furnaces, 4 Golf Cart Batteri
robertsonthego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2005, 08:27 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Texas Boomers Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
I too prefer a trailer and use my TV to snoop around. I figure either way I need to tow something whether it is a trailer or a toad. I still work so, in my own mind, I could not justify the extra maintenance and insurance costs associated with a MH that basically sits 10 months out of the year. To others that may not be a problem but it is for me. Once I'm retired (in less that 2 years ) I may change my mind as we will probably be full timing for a while.

MOHO

2017 Solitude by Grand Design
2012 Ford F-450 Lariat
K-Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2005, 03:02 AM   #7
Administrator Emeritus

Location: FULLTIMERS - currently wintering in Rochester, NY - Goin\' places, Makin\' friends, Havin\' fun!
Tania and I are retired and have been full timing for 6 years. We chose our Fifth Wheel because we like to stay in one place for 3 to 6 months and wanted the maximum interior space (usually about 400 sq feet) when parked.

A Motor Home can give you the same interior space but the driver/passenger area is not really usable for living space.

On the other side, if you want easy access to all your facilities while driving and if you are planning shorter stays, (It takes a longer to set up a Fifth Wheel or Travel Trailer) you might find that a Motor Home would be a more convenient choice.

Dave

[b]NASCAR FANS - Carl Edwards #99 & Ryan Newman #12![/col
RVrs R US is offline   Reply With Quote