Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > New Member Check-In
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-29-2008, 03:50 AM   #15

Vintage RV Owners Club
Hi,
Totally not confused anymore.Spent a lot of time looking at 5er's,motorhomes and bus conversions.Than sat back to see what really is going to fit our lifestyle.Although the 5er has more room,a bus conversion or motorhome (diesel pusher)will serve our purpose best.We will have to haul a trailer behind cause it's no longer just the Harley we are taking along we will be taking the vette also so most likely we will be getting an older bus conversion.Unless we can find a motorhome capable of hauling just under 5,000lbs plus trailer weight.
Lol,no don't really like the looks of f800 that was just the only vehicle around I could afford.Peabody
Peabody is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-29-2008, 05:42 AM   #16

Most larger DP's are capable of 10k GTW. We tow a 12K (GVW) 24' enclosed trailer with a half bath, A/C, 4 bunks, and a car or truck (usually 4500# or so) behind our Vectra. Just make sure the receiver is reinforced to take the vertical load and you use a levelizing hitch.

FMCA; WIT; FCOA; Good Sam; Passport
porscheracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2008, 06:17 AM   #17

Vintage RV Owners Club
What engine does your Vectra have.Curious cause there is a Vectra near me that I can afford but I didn't think the engine was big enough. Peabody
Old 09-29-2008, 06:25 AM   #18

Vintage RV Owners Club
Never mind just pulled up specs on your Vectra and it is a much larger engine than the one by me.Peabody
Old 09-29-2008, 11:22 AM   #19

As you no doubt figured out, it's a 350HP CAT C7, with an Allison 3000MH and 4.88 gears.

I also did some research with Winnebago engineering and determined that upgrading the tires to 285/75 LRJ upped the capacity of the chassis to the same as the 40's (same axles). With everything aboard, including 40 gallons of water in the trailer, we gross right at 38,600# (29000 + 9600). The heaviest vehicle we haul is the toad, at 4520#, other two are 4200 and 3880, respectively.

The trailer is a custom built Pace Shadow GT, with an extended tongue, 12K axles, and other goodies. It serves as a worker barracks when we work races - so the volunteers don't have to pay for lodging.

FMCA; WIT; FCOA; Good Sam; Passport
porscheracer is offline   Reply With Quote