Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > New Member Check-In
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-08-2007, 07:27 PM   #15

Damon Owners Club
Tom,

We love ours and have had only minor issues with our new Tuscany (microwave buttons broke, doors adjusted, etc.).

As with everyting, chosing a motor home starts with layout, layout, layout. Find the layout that works the best for you and then look at who gives you that layout.

As for Damon value, We saved about $60 over the cost of a Tiffin Phaeton similarly equiped....

The Woodieboys is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-10-2007, 08:33 AM   #16

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">As for Damon value, We saved about $60 over the cost of a Tiffin Phaeton similarly equiped.... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
I think I would have gone for the Tiffin for 60 bucks, or did you mean $60,000 ?

Sam

Old 08-14-2007, 04:30 PM   #17

Damon Owners Club
Oh yeah, teh k was left off. Should read $60k...
The Woodieboys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2007, 05:39 PM   #18

Hi my name is Ron Strait. The right dealer/service Center is key but remember you get what you pay for. GOOD LUCK!
Old 08-27-2007, 03:43 PM   #19

A friend purchased a new Damon last year and it has had more miles logged traveling back to the factory(2)and dealership( 5+)than miles for pleasure to repair leak issues and there is still no resolution.
Old 08-27-2007, 05:13 PM   #20
TBC

That is not good. Sounds about like the issues I had with my Prowler travel trailer.
Old 09-11-2007, 04:42 PM   #21

Damon Owners Club
Bottom line, they all can have issues. I too bought a used Damon ('96 daybreak). I have since remodeled it, changed the converter, added an inverter and have put only about 1600 miles on her so far. We are happy it has worked out well for us. The real important part here to me anyway is it is used, I do the repairs, it fits in the garage (its only 26 ft) and it gets over 10.5 mpg
So far so good....

Callsign: KD8W
hamdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2007, 07:01 PM   #22

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
It doesnt seem to matter what brand you look at, they will all have some horror stories, and good stories. Look at the quality of workmanship and how its put together. You will see a major swings in quality from brand to brand and price to price. We looked at MoHo's for 2 years before we bought one. We had some minor issues but all in all we love our coach.
mountainkowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2007, 04:20 AM   #23

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Well. I have read, and heard, some horror stories and I've had a few nits to pick but to be honest nothing major and I got good service. I have a 2005 intruder... Issues I've had

Windshield. Mine came with the optional self removing windshield (pops out as you drive) First time I called my dealer, they called Guardian Glass here in Detroit, who sent out a kid still "Wet behind the ears" as they say. Result. it popped out again, this time in Arizonia, I strapped it to keep it from coming out farther and finished the night's drive, called Damon who sent me to Wheeler's rv on the next business day. Wheeler's called Dave Simpson (Simpson glass) who did a very good job but was still not pleased with his work (Dave is a craftsman) and showed me why. They got Damon to agree to a factory visit and it was fixed.

On the way to the factory AC went out, fixed
And the dash exhibited issues (Also fixed)

Oh, yes, on the way to Vegas I lost tail lights to the towed (Easily worked around and Wheeler's fixed)

I had the fuel filler benzel crack and brake (Replaced, no charge)

The major issues I have with the coach, which are ongoing are:

1: Dometic A&E Weather pro awning, I heard a rumor they have changed the design but the one I have has an audio sensor for wind speed and it very simply does not work.. Works fine on manual though

2: Dometic microwave like the Zenith VCR are both really made by Lucky Goldstar. The VCR is headed for the trash can (Don't work right, no surprise) I think I finally got the Microwave working right but I have a very very very low opinion of Goldstar, always have, always will and it is for cause.. This is not, however Damon's fault. Zenith used to be a 1st class brand before Goldstar bought it, And Dometic is one of the top brands (normally) as well.

Basement storage door latches:

The latch has a tendency to come apart inside the door. this is easily fixed, but when it happens getting the door open is ... Well... A job and a half. I know have tools for that job Same for the Tri-Metirc latch on the main door. Thankfully I've always been a skilled B&E man. (Just always do it legally don't you know)

Dometic appliances and awnings are used in many many motor homes.. The AC and Dash display issues were delivered to Damon by Workhorse and were fixed without problems. The door latches are also of standard design used by a lot of companies.

I had a problem with the battery re-connect switch (Disconnect worked fine, alas would not re-connect) Fixed it myself, no parts, no cost (Got lucky on that one) I'm a skilled electronics tech. Never seen "Switch cleaning method 1" work befor though. (Remove power, exercise switch letting it clean itself)

The final problem was with the automatic steps (Kwikee) and again, this is the industry standard brand.. I think I got it fixed

Note: Most all these problems are truly minor, most were fixed by Damon or a dealer. (I do the locks myself) and in truth, I'm very happy with the coach overall and I would not hesitate to buy another.

Now: Other brands: I've heard distubring things about just about every brand out there.. Including some for which a brand new factory fresh Damon Intruder would almost make a good down payment.
Old 09-12-2007, 09:25 AM   #24
TBC

Thanks for your replies. I have found that some rv's that used to be good quality stuff, like Prowler was back in the 70-80's is no longer true. I have had a lot of problems with the one I have now.

That appears to be the same for all of them. I guess it depends on what week it was built and which crew built it.

I find ya'll's (I am a Texan thru and thru) comments interesting and helpful. Thanks again for the input.
Old 09-13-2007, 06:31 AM   #25

This has been a very good thread. I was afraid that it could degenerate to a bashing but happily it hasn't. RV's are not robot built but instead are hand built, and complicated at that. I agree that a good dealer or manufacturer is at least as important as the brand. I would be interested in a truthful survey of owners to see who was satisfied or not then show the results in a graph. I'll bet the percentage of happy verses unhappy would be close for most manufacturers...of course there are a few who have a much higher percentage of happy...and the others would be well served to see why and copy them.

As I've said before, I am very satisfied with my coach. My only fear is delamination. Anything else I can deal with. I've got many years to go before I can think about replacing it so it's got to last. I'm a nut about maintenance and hopefully that will pay off in the long run.

Wife, Dee
Chandler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2007, 08:36 AM   #26

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
It's amazing that the same issues have been year after year. The Windshield popping out, the slide seal problem have been around since ours in 2002. your lucky that yours happened still in warranty,ours was out of warranty and Damon refused to help. As I have said before that issues will happen,but a manufacture needs customers and if to many get burned, the manufacture ends up out of business. I once asked a Damon manager if they believed in Customer Retention, his answer was ...whats that!!!!!!!!!
Old 09-13-2007, 09:04 AM   #27
TBC

I know all rv's are going to have some issues and sometimes when people talk about the issues you get the impression that it is the biggest piece of junk there ever was. Overreaction I call it. Anything made by man is going to have a problem sooner or later. It is when those problems occur across the board with almost everyone of them that is built that it is a really serious issue. When I first heard about Damon MH I thought that they all had major issues so I wasn't sure what to make of them.

I had began to see quite a few on the road so I began to wonder about the issues. Many times a new product line will have bugs that have to be worked out. Perhaps that was what I was hearing about.

This has been a good response to my questions and I am glad to have the info. Thanks folks and keep the responses coming. It is good for all of us.
Old 10-16-2007, 07:18 AM   #28

Appalachian Campers
We purchased our 2000 Damon Intruder 351 used because it was a good value. Got it at a price well below NADA wholesale, and the layout fit our needs. At or near the top of your search criteria should be "make sure it fits". Just minor repairs needed - water pump, compartment door latches, kitchen sink drain hose leak - all DIY repairs - well under $500. We have been very pleased with our Damon. Based on what I've seen and heard about newer models, Damon is still the best buy for what you get in a midlevel MH - compared to Winnebago and others in the midlevel range.

igor2brvn is offline   Reply With Quote