Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > New Member Check-In
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 08-02-2009, 10:05 PM   #1
Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Damon rotted step replacement

I noticed some fungus growing on my steps last year which alerted me to wet spots around the perimeter of the first inside step. I checked the door seal and all seemed well so I waited for the next rain and found the step to be wet again. I pulled some molding around the inside of the door frame and found some rot. When I got further into it I found a lot of rot. Has anyone else had this? It looks as if the water was coming in from just to the left of the doorway where the Damon model logo is located. It was seeping in and running along an inside rail channel to the step. The electric step broke when I stood on it so I had to remove it and now we all have quite a step up to get in. I plan on going to the Damon factory in Elkhart soon to have them look at it. I think it's going to be very expensive to fix. I see no structure left for them to build around so I think it's going to take a major rebuild. Any thoughts? Thanks for looking.

Looking at the pictures you can see the two bolts from the front (outside) of the electric step. They are right BETWEEN two 2x4ís of which one appears to be of pretty poor grade. When the electric step broke these bolts broke right through (and between) the two pieces of 2x4. I feel it was poor workman ship to bolt the front part of the step between these two 2x4ís. The back two bolts that attach the back (inside) of the electric step seemed to be very solid and more to the center of a 2x4. As you can see in the one picture the caulk along the rail on the outside of the door was lifted. This is probably where the water got in to do itís damage.

Kursk is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-03-2009, 05:15 AM   #2
Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
What year is your Damon Challenger and do you have any speculation
as to the cause of the water damage, i.e. snow, wet rugs, pets, etc.
I will be adding the step area to my list of semi-annual inspections.

Doggy Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2009, 06:40 AM   #3
Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
If you look at the last picture with the 371W logo you will see the rail with the lifted caulk. The water ran down the side of the motorhome and into this gap. It then followed an inside rail to the step area. The water was not visually noticeable. You had to feel the carpeted area around the perimeter of the step and in my case it was wet from the step up to about two inches. The problem was that as a new RV owner I was so concerned about the caulking on the roof, that you hear so much about, I didn't think of the other caulking around the vertical surfaces. This seemed like a minor cosmetic issue to me when I saw the lifting caulk around the rail and other parts of the sides of the RV. CAULK EVERYTHING. Lesson learned the hard way...

2005 Damon Challenger 371W
Kursk is offline   Reply With Quote