Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > New Member Check-In
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-27-2011, 12:24 PM   #1

DC power doesn't work

Hi everyone, I'm new here as well as to RV-ing so thanks in advance for your help. Have a 1994 ford coachman class c. i was just plugged in to shoreline power and everything was working fine. Suddenly, the lights flickered/flashed a couple times and then everything DC shut off. Everything AC is still operating just fine, ONLY DC stuff is off (lights, waterpump, etc). the coach battery is new and my connections are clean.
Other possibly important clues: the refrigerator is off too, it did NOT switch over to LP as it normally does when i disconnect from AC shoreline power. even the lighted panel that tells me how much LP/gray tank/black tank capacity, etc is also off. Just off the coach battery red wire there's a little fuse type metal strip, i tried bypassing that too, that didn't help.
I suspect it has something to do with some sort of transfer switch maybe? the fact that the fridge didn't come on seems odd since it should just automatically switch over to running off LP. Our trip was cut short but hoping to go back out next weekend. Help!
Richard

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-27-2011, 12:33 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Hi: I don't know if I can help you, but I had the same thing happen. In my rig, the bay door next to the batteries has on off switches for 12V chassis and domestic (house). They switch on and off a solenoid. The solenoid gets sticky some times. If you have a meter you can measure 12V on one side and not the other. Tap it with a screwdriver to see if it fixes it, if not, just jumper it until you can get a new one, or take your old one apart and clean the contacts.

Hope this helps,

Pat

patmsp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011, 12:33 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Hi Rich and welcome to the forum.

You'll find that you'll get more informative responses if you include details about your rig either in your post or, better yet, in your signature line which you can create in your "User CP" (control panel).

It's not at all unusual for the information panel and frige to shut down with DC is lost because their control boards need 12vdc to operate. I doubt your AC works either.

It sounds like you've already tested your fuseable link and eliminated corroded connections as the problem. I doubt it's your transfer switch because I think that usually just routes AC from either the shore line or gen set. I think I would take a hard look at the house battery shut off switch to make sure it's functioning properly.... but providing more info on your set up will probably yield responses from folks with first hand knowledge of your rig.

Good luck...

rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011, 12:34 PM   #4

Richard, I have 95 Jamboree on Ford Chassis. I dont think that matters much. I had that happen once and the breaker on the converter tripped. Fride wont operate without DC12V. It controls operation. Check all breakers on converter. Hope it helps. someone will jump in here.
Old 08-27-2011, 01:23 PM   #5

Hi everyone! Wow, thanks for the quick responses, you guys are awesome!

To Pat: my coach battery is under my entrance step. i looked all around and i don't see any type of solenoid device anywhere near the battery, or any other type of mechanical device.

To Rick: I will post more info on my CP asap, thanks for the suggestion! Where would i find the house battery shut off switch? is that something i should find readily accessible? I've looked around the rig for any and all types of buttons, switches, or resets and found none. As for my "set up", not fully sure what that means. Here's what i know: Under the step is the battery, nothing else. its new, and with clean connections. Under the bedroom bed is a ac/dc distribution panel. the ac part has breakers (all are on the ON position) and the dc part has fuses (all check out fine too). i unscrewed a panel to peak behind the distribution panel and saw what i think is a switcher. nothing else back there that i could see. also under the kitchen sink there is a converter. at both the switcher and converter i saw nothing that looked like a reset button or anything like that. the rig also has a generator on board, seems to work normally, when it comes on it does the same thing the shoreline power is doing: running all AC devices (ac outlets, micro, air, etc), but none of the DC devices.

To Fletch460: Is the converter breakers the same as part of the main breaker panel? or is that somewhere else in the rig or on the actual converter itself? in my rig the converter is under the sink in some sort of built-in plastic housing with wires coming in and out, but i saw no type of breaker or buttons anywhere near it.

Thanks so much for your posts so far!
Cheers
Old 08-27-2011, 01:51 PM   #6

The Owners manual for your rig indicates you have one of the combined AC/DC distribution and converter centers. Can you see a Mfg name and model number on that unit. Many of those in that era still used a transfer relay to switch between battery and converter. Knownig exactly what you have should go a long ways towards helping you solve the problem.

Dave
Old 08-27-2011, 02:07 PM   #7

Thanks Dave! I have a:

MagneTek RV Electrical Control Center Model 80
Old 08-27-2011, 02:15 PM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Rich,
Can you test for DC output from your converter? I would start there an check fuses there if any.
RJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011, 02:17 PM   #9

Ford Super Duty Owner
no power

I just went tru the same thing with my motorhome. After 3 days I found the problem.... Lift up the end of your bed and you will see a small circit breaker with 2 wires going to it 1 hot 1 ground, On the side of the breaker you will see a very small button,push in on button with a ballpoint pen and all will reset!!!!!
Old 08-27-2011, 02:33 PM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Hi Sonny,
I'm curious if you ever verified that the device under you bed is indeed a circuit breaker and what it controls. The reason I'm asking is that grounds and neutrals are never fused.
RJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011, 02:38 PM   #11

Sonny & Pam, I looked all around that area. The only circuit breakers i could find, big or small, are the three breakers that control all the AC stuff in the rig. Are you talking about one of those? They're not small, they're "regular" size, and I saw on reset buttons on them. The only other place to look is under the bed in the actual cabinet which i would have to sorta dismantle with a screwdriver. Think this 'small' breaker is back there?
Old 08-27-2011, 06:47 PM   #12

Hi RJay, I don't have a voltmeter. i can poke around the converter again, but last time i was afraid of "poking" too much as it is in some sort of plastic housing with what appears to be ventilation holes in it. Should i go IN and try to find any fuses in or around it?
Old 08-28-2011, 02:27 PM   #13
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Welcome to the forums! You'll probably have better luck on your questions if you post it under RV Systems and Appliances. Good luck!

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011, 07:16 PM   #14

Ford Super Duty Owner
circut breakers?

Hi RJ;
What I found under bed was the Hot And ground wires that go to invertor ran under the bed then to a small breaker, from the breaker they went to invertor. By the way my Queen size bed opens at the foot of the bed, and thats where I found the relay.
When I first checked my fuses I did not check for voltage just continuity (sp)!! Then I found no power to the invertor so I traced the wires from that to this relay.

Tags
power