Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > New Member Check-In
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-19-2010, 07:10 AM   #15

Winnebago Owners Club
Also remember most if not all on here only have 2 people plus pets in the motor home you will have 4 with clothes and stuff - 40 ft should be a minimum
rream is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-19-2010, 07:22 AM   #16

Newmar Owners Club
Hi sub,
I started with a 26' gas coach in 1978 and now have a 40' coach (tow bar included). When making your reservation, ensure the CG can comfortably handle your coach (don't forget the length of the tow bar or dolly). Having a 40' coach has in no way inhibited my RVing experience. In the general area that I am exploring, I have always found many CG choices. The acceptance of a 40' coach in CG should not be on your list of things to worry about.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 02:07 PM   #17

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Well this is an inexperienced answer from a 39 ft gas owner, but hope it helps.

1. I found a posting a few weeks ago where a very well informed person explained the engineering details of gas vs diesel torques. Our W24 workhorse with the 8.1 gas engine has surprising power because of the very low rear end. So yes the engine torque is lower than diesels, but not the wheel torques.
2. My Allison 6 speed is electonically linked to the engine and they work together beautifully. I can downshift easily to 5th, then 4th, etc as needed with good control for down and up hills. The engine slows my unit comfortable downhills.
3. Havent towed yet, but read that my setup is fine.
4. Posts about floorplans are important considerations. Some designs have much more storage space than others for the same length. My wife is an interior designer by trade and I was surprised at some of her observations about storage when we were looking.
5. I can do my own gas engine maintenance which was a consideration. But if I were rich, I'd get the diesel more for the suspension and carrying capacit than for the engine. And pushers are more quiet to ride in.
6. If your budget conscience you can get a newer or new gas and probably be fine, or an older diesel and fix it up. Look at post about owners doing their own interior upgrades, especially floors.

best of luck, and enjoy the search.
Old 02-23-2010, 03:17 PM   #18

Fleetwood Owners Club
Smile

Quote:
So yes the engine torque is lower than diesels, but not the wheel torques.
If you put a gas & a diesel on a dyno. You may change your mind on that.
Quote:
I can do my own gas engine maintenance which was a consideration.
If you can do maintenance on a gas. You would have no problem with a diesel. Just a few more filter to change.
Quote:
Regarding the cost of fuel, in my area, the gas is 241,9, diesel 269.9, that just about evens things up in the cost. Diesel, four to five gallons of oil, gas 7 to 10 quarts..
Gas 7 MPG @2.419 = 0.35 cents a mile
Diesel 10 MPG @2.699 = 0.26 cents a mile
Oil change's
Gas 7 qt. 5K miles 1 Filter
ISB Diesel 17 qt. 15K miles 1 filter
Gas @15K miles 21 qt. + 3 filters

Triker56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 03:36 PM   #19

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
My 06 Allegro Bay has a grade brake, which works like a jake brake. That's all I know about don't ask me how it works, I know it works, I tried it in the mountains.
Old 02-23-2010, 03:37 PM   #20

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
The diesel that makes 10mpg must be very small or make 10mpg going downhill.
Old 02-23-2010, 03:45 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by sub View Post
Thanks all for the good info - I think we will stick with the diesel and keep looking for the perfect floorplan for us and our two girls. Hoping to find a nice bunk model in a smaller size under 36'. Now I'm wondering if we should get the big 40' really slick floorplan. We are worried about getting into campsites with the 40 versus say a 36. Any thoughts on that? Is it that much trickier with the long rvs?
SUB: Welcome to iRV2.com !

Tiffin makes an "economy" RDP they call the Allegro RED which has bunk beds for your kids. Tiffin Motorhomes - Allegro RED

Happy hunting!
Ed
edgray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 04:19 PM   #22

Fleetwood Owners Club
I get ~10 MPG flat ground, no toad: 360 hp Cummins 8.3 ISC, MH 42 feet long, weight 29k lbs.

The onboard computer goes between 9 and 10 mpg

Oh!!! The main difference of great fuel economy and poor economy is often the driver.

I just met a guy that says he never does anything under 85 mph and often is standing on the pedal.
Always-RVing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 05:30 PM   #23

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Batman_777 View Post
I get ~10 MPG flat ground, no toad: 360 hp Cummins 8.3 ISC, MH 42 feet long, weight 29k lbs.

The onboard computer goes between 9 and 10 mpg

Oh!!! The main difference of great fuel economy and poor economy is often the driver.

I just met a guy that says he never does anything under 85 mph and often is standing on the pedal.

Batman;;; I've got to figure out how to "re-set" the dash readings... can't do it to save my life and the mpg shows at 6.8 mpg (same engine, same motorhome).... Is there a place in the owners manual that describes to "dummies" how to reset all the settings?
Thanks
Ed
tedward1555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2010, 06:40 AM   #24

Fleetwood Owners Club
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by dajudge View Post
The diesel that makes 10mpg must be very small or make 10mpg going downhill.
There are many, many ISB's that do that 10 MPG.
My 5.9L has 660 ft lb toque + with a Banks Power Pack and Allison 6 speed
Weight pulling a toad is around 26K.

Yes it is probably the smallest Diesel most commonly used in Class A DP or puller. But the Toque it puts out, would be very big to any gas engine in a Class A.

I have a spreadsheet with every drop of fuel that has gone into it since 8/02
Lifetime average(7 years +) is 10.215 MPG driving from Maine to Florida to Colorado and all states in between.

Just to check what it can do. Last summer(09) I held my speed down to 55-58 MPH 98% of the time. Average from May to September was 10.781 MPG. All on spreadsheet.

All roads in life time of spreadsheet included downhill, uphill and flat.
Sorry have no record on what percent of each was used.

I also had a spreadsheet on my last gas Class A with a 454 Cu in GM motor. It's lifetime of the 10 years I had it. The MPG average was just under 6 MPG. It also traveled almost the same roads & states as the ISB has.

The difference saved in fuel cost between my old gas and the ISB.
To me has paid for all maintenance cost for the ISB.
So that saying that most say, about diesel maintenance cost is higher then gas. Are not really true to me if you include fuel cost per mile.

Your experience may be different. But there is nothing wrong with that.
If you don't want a diesel. Don't take one on a test drive.
Triker56 is offline   Reply With Quote