Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > New Member Check-In
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-23-2013, 12:44 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by ErikDaPirate View Post
So my wife and I have been trailer sailors for sometime now.... See website: 1999 MacGregor 26 X PowerSailor* --* New Bern, NC Kinda like RVing... just no tires. We decided to venture into the land of RV's... we kinda tested the "waters" by renting an RV for a week, headed down to Florida to visit brother and mother in law, and then went to Disney world's Fort Wilderness and had fun learning how to RV (and how not to). Learned that a refigerator that uses propane does not work on an incline... and the fastest way to get the kids and wife out of the RV quickly is to leave the value open on the sewer hookup (there's no P trap on the toilet??? ... oops) So we decided to pull the trigger after doing more research... Got a 1989 Holiday Rambler Aluma-Lite... found it first on ebay, then found out it was local and went and checked it out.... 1989 Alum Lite Motorhome We are looking forward to what I call a "learning" adventure and modifying this RV to make it our own. Love this forum... it's just like the one I use with the boat... great attitudes and helpful members... already have a manual for our RV heading our way from a member on this board. Thanks, Erik & Jean PS: Are we supposed to name our RV like the boat? Our daughter came up with the name "On Shore" (see boat reference)
I gots a balboa 27 and a V-cross 275 vrl. Wife likes the camper better, but I still LOVE to sail. So we do 5 trailer outings to 1 sail. it is what it is. At least they are both outdoors..
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-23-2013, 12:49 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_Harriet View Post
Groovy, we presently live on our boat and have lived aboard for 10yrs. When you say different lifestyles, which had the best ratio of pros to cons in your experience? We're in the sell boat-buy RV stage right now, and would value your opinion. We've traveled a lot in the islands and Gulf coast, Keys , east coast, but think we are ready for new horizons. Thoughts?
Go on up the tenn/tombigbee and up into the Great Lakes and on up to the North Channel (in summer) of Lake Huron. AWESOME.
Old 12-23-2013, 12:50 PM   #31

Monaco Owners Club
Location: Summer- Lake Diefenbaker, SK; winter- Westbay Marine Village, Victoria, BC
We split our year between our MH and our boat; and love them both! We also have a condo that I'd sell in a heartbeat; but DW doesn't agree on that point so we'll just keep all three abodes for awhile longer.
jim.smithjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 12:53 PM   #32

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by ErikDaPirate View Post
So what is the West Marine of the RV world?
Camping World is probably the best known. As far as your first question, I always called my boat an RV/ Recreational Vessel! And loved almost every minute of it.
Old 12-24-2013, 07:45 AM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_Harriet View Post
Groovy, we presently live on our boat and have lived aboard for 10yrs. When you say different lifestyles, which had the best ratio of pros to cons in your experience?
Mike - For us, RVing full-time is more fun and less work. But it all depends on what you are looking for and how you cruise/RV.

In a nutshell, we found RVing is all about the destinations, while cruising is all about the journey.

We're really glad we did both lifestyles, and we were both in tears as we left our boat a few weeks ago, but RVing is a better fit for us and is something we can imagine doing until we're no longer able to.

I wrote some more extensive thoughts about it all on our blog here:
Living, Loving and Perfecting "The Dream"

If I were to quantify the ratios of pros and cons, it would be: RVing gives you 10 units of fun for 1 unit of effort, while cruising gives you 1 unit of fun for 10 units of effort. However, the "fun" while cruising is more exotic.
Groovy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2013, 04:53 AM   #34

Thanks Groovy. Yeah we've loved living aboard. Bahamas four times, even took our trawler to Georgetown (Chicken out Harbor) for the family island regatta. Wonderful time. Also our trip up river to Chattanoga was incredible. But as you stated lots of pre-trip prep and planning required. At this stage of our lives RVing looks quite attractive. Lots of family,friends,and places we would like to see. I'm ready for 10/1 work to fun ratio. See you on the road soon we hope.
Mike_Harriet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2013, 11:16 AM   #35

Winnebago Owners Club
Recently we got into Rving and bought a 2003 Minnie Winnie 30v. Have been boating for 40 plus years and also own a 32 Island Gypsy trawler.

Owned the motorhome for one month and jumped in and took a 3200 mile trip to Florida and back to NJ. Rving is a lot easier than boating, the far away places are not as far at 70mph, the 9 miles per gallon is three times the boat miles per gallon.
Everything is land based and moments away, Weather is not as critical and no anchor dragging worries at night.

But, There is something about being out on the water, you are definitely more on your own. Not sure if the boat will be replaced by the rv. The jury is still out.

Anyway enjoy them both while you got them, that's what we plan to do.

John and Miri
Islandgypsy is offline   Reply With Quote