Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > New Member Check-In
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-16-2010, 11:44 AM   #1

Does a 2004 36' Intrigue drive as well as a 40'

Hi. I am new to this forum and in the process of purchasing a 36', 2004 Country Coach Intrigue, with 2 slides. Before I finalize the purchase I would like to know if you are generally better off with a longer coach, for driving as far as tracking, response to road conditions, etc. is concerned. Thank you for any input you can provide me with. Jerry
ja63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-16-2010, 11:56 AM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
Typically, the longe the wheel base the smoother (better) the ride...
PeakFinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2010, 12:08 PM   #3

I understand that, but should I avoid a 36' and only buy a 40', or will it be acceptable to drive the 36', without too much problem? Thank you.
Old 10-16-2010, 01:46 PM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
Why don't you take it out and drive it? Drive it on the interstate and some secondary roads. Drive it for 30 or 45 mins. That should give you a good feel for it. As far as I'm concerned, a 36 would be ok for me if I did not need a longer rig for storage and living. Hope this helps...
PeakFinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2010, 08:21 PM   #5

Thank you. I will do that, but just wondered what others have experienced, and what their preference was. Jerry
Old 10-17-2010, 08:05 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

We've owned both sizes, though different chassis types. Longer wheelbase is indeed a bit smoother riding, but length has its own problems with maneuverability. Our 36 footer was on a 228" wheelbase and it cornered better than the 40 footer on a 268" wheelbase. It also gets down twisty campground roads better.

Bottom line is buy what you like and don't get to wrought up in the details.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2010, 08:32 AM   #7

Alpine Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by ja63 View Post
Hi. I am new to this forum and in the process of purchasing a 36', 2004 Country Coach Intrigue, with 2 slides. Before I finalize the purchase I would like to know if you are generally better off with a longer coach, for driving as far as tracking, response to road conditions, etc. is concerned. Thank you for any input you can provide me with. Jerry
Handling should be very similar for the two models. The 36' has a 240 inch wheelbase and the ratio of wheelbase to overall length is 56%. The 40' has a 271 inch wheelbase and the ratio is also 56%. The ratio is a good measure of handling and ride characteristics. 56% is excellent. I believe that both models have the Dynomax chassis.
Old 10-18-2010, 10:55 AM   #8

Thank you very much for everyone's input, especially Jaime and Dave, and their 3 cocker spaniels. We now have our answer. Just waiting for our offer to be accepted by their bank. I also agree with Gary Brinck about not getting caught up in details, but it does help to get experienced opinions, thus thanks for your input. Jerry, Phyllis and our little rottweiler pup, (actually 3, 110 lb. bundle of happy)