Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > New Member Check-In
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-27-2014, 09:24 PM   #1

Red face Driving me crazy

I have been looking at RV's for almost 2 years, we have decided that we will be buying one this coming summer. After talking to a lot of people, visiting dealers, RV shows and reading this forum, we have decided that a class A diesel is our best choice. When we start to put together all our wants we end up with a 39'10" coach (the Winne Forza 38R, checks most of the boxes).
Here is my worry: I have never driven anything that big, yes, a few U-Haul panel trucks, and vans, but no 40' rig. I had dreams (nightmares) about making a right turn at a small intersection. And going down a narrow street to find a dead end. I have been looking at a dealer (LazyDays in Tampa) because they offer a driving class. And I am wondering if I really need it or just making a 40' thought bigger than what it is?? Is there an 'RV driving for Dummies' book?
Any guidance would be appreciated
jrinc is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-27-2014, 09:42 PM   #2

Gulf Streamers Club

If you do a search on YouTube, you'll find a number of videos on 'Driving an RV'

I docked cabin cruisers at 14, a school bus at 19, and have never looked back. It's not that difficult, yes, you might occasionally get in a tight spot, but just ignore all the honking and cursing, take a deep breath, and do what you need to do to get yourself out of it. Get accustomed to handling the RV in a big empty parking lot with a bunch of cones until you get comfortable, then take it out in the neighborhood. Folks will expect a large RV to move slow, so you don't have to disappoint them. Just enjoy yourself and you'll get comfortable!

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 05:31 AM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Welcome.....Take it slow and easy and you'll do fine...

Chiefbvfd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 05:37 AM   #4

Take the actual driving instruction. Reading a book and driving a big rig are two different things. You should also get some lessons on air breaks. Good Luck. Cheers Gerald
Gerald Duerr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 06:20 AM   #5

Country Coach Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Welcome and glad to meet you!

Take the class. You need to learn about offset (rear wheels turn in tighter radius than front wheels) and how to make those turns, how to back up using mirrors, not turning your head around. Then practice a lot in a bib parking lot.
FMCA #F431170, GS #822128658, Escapees SKP #112655
2012 Airstream Mercedes Interstate Class B
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Medico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 06:26 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Ditto on what the others have said... fear is only in the unknown. Get some education. You'll have a little anxiety up to the moment you get behind the wheel then you'll never look back as you head down the road with a giant grin. Enjoy the ride
Old 03-28-2014, 06:35 AM   #7

howdy
homeless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 06:45 AM   #8

A good place to start is purchasing an instruction book used by truckers to brush up before taking their test for a CDL. Most books offer both a text and pictorial instructions on things like how to make turns in narrow intersections, how to use the mirrors, techniques for backing up, and just about any other situation you might find yourself in.

While they don't offer the hands on experience they can make you aware of what to expect, and how to handle the situation when it does arrive.
Old 03-28-2014, 07:35 AM   #9
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club

If driving a 40' rig is intimidating to you, then by all means take the driving course. It will give you tips that otherwise might take a lot of time. I did not try to teach the DW how to drive our MH. I had her take a driving course and it has worked out better for both of us. The cost of the course is nothing compared to the peace of mind you will get.
TonyDi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 07:51 AM   #10
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Hi folks! Welcome to IRV2! It's great to have you join the gang!

I think the driving class would be helpful, but not absolutely necessary. I too had never driven anything even close to that big before getting our Windsor. I became comfortable with it much quicker that I would have thought. You just have to be extra careful and always be conscious of how huge it it!

Hope you find the right rig for your needs! Enjoy the forum!

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!
MSHappyCampers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 09:39 PM   #11

Thanks, I watched a few of the UTube videos they were entertaining and informative. I feel a little more comfortable, but I think I will take the Dealers course.
I appreciate your guidance, be careful out there...
jrinc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 10:03 PM   #12

Welcome to irv2. All the advice above has been right on and your decision will put your mind at ease. Enjoy!
Hudgens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 10:57 PM   #13

I would suggest going to your local transit agency or school district to see if any of their drivers would be willing to give instruction. After all, school districts have 60+ year old ladies driving 40' school buses full of 70 screaming kids through narrow residential streets!

We started out with a 26' Class C, which turned out to be a real turkey. Before we got our current rig, I spent a couple of years as a transit coach driver. It only took about 4 hours driving with an instructor before I was ready to take my CDL test. I passed first time.

My second solo turn was taking a 40-footer through the morning rush hour in Everett. I didn't bend anything on that trip, and our 32' RV is no sweat.
Old 03-29-2014, 04:28 AM   #14

Fleetwood Owners Club
The Rv traing course found on YouTube is very helpful. There are also homemade videos that are there and funny so look for the ones that actually have instruction to them.

As said on one of the videos, if you get yourself in a bind, stay cool, take up what ever part of the road you need, even if you block traffic, and get yourself out of the situation. YOU MOST LIKLY WILL NEVER SEE ANY OF THESE FOLKS AGAIN!