Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > New Member Check-In
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-27-2014, 04:44 AM   #1

Excited

Hello All,

My wife and I previously had a Carriage Cameo that we really enjoyed, but we got out of the 5th wheel family in 2010. That said, we just finalized the purchase of our next unit......the new Winnebago Destination 36RL.

It took quite a bit of effort since W does not have a lot of great information out there. But after talking to as many people as I could from Winnebago, Lippert,, and the dealer we were going through, we decided to pull the trigger on an unreal deal.

McClain's RV Superstores in Rockwall, TX really wanted to sell their first Destination unit, so they were willing to make us an awesome deal. They are delivering the unit to us in Colorado Springs the first week of February.

We are super excited.....yes, a tad anxious buying the first generation from W on this line, but feel confident in the product. If you have any questions on the particulars, just let me know and I will give you all the info I have. I will also keep things posted on the delivery of the rig to let you know my first real in person impression.......Mike
mcumbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-27-2014, 04:57 AM   #2

welcome to the show and hope you enjoy the new toy
rbpower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 05:55 AM   #3

I would be excited as well. I am not familiar with the 5rv models so I googled it and I love the layout. Congratulations on your new purchase and Happy Rv'ing.
Car Dolly: Mini Cooper Clubman
vanbuskirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 06:09 AM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
How exciting!!! Take pictures of your new baby and please let us know all about her/him!
Kdsgone2dogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 06:33 AM   #5
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner

Here's a wish your waiting time does not drag out.
See My Pace Arrow Upgrades
JohnRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 07:00 AM   #6

Country Coach Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Welcome and glad to meet you!
FMCA #F431170, GS #822128658, Escapees SKP #112655
2012 Airstream Mercedes Interstate Class B
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Medico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 07:16 AM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Welcome to the forum and congrats on the new rig....welcome also to the Winnebago family...

Chiefbvfd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 08:26 AM   #8
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Hi Mike! Welcome to IRV2! It's great to have you join the bunch!

Congrats on the new rig! I'm sure you will love it! Enjoy the forum!

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 07:46 PM   #9

Thanks for the warm reception

Just wanted to say thanks to all who replied....we are very happy to be getting back into the RV world and looking forward to new adventures and new friends!!

As soon as we can, we will post pics of the new family addition....hope to have it by Feb 8.
Old 03-01-2014, 07:54 AM   #10

Well we were finally able to coordinate delivery of the new rig up to Colorado. This entire process has been a labor of love!!

First things first, the Destination is every bit as beautiful of a 5th wheel as we thought it would be...the finishes are very well done and we believe we are going to love traveling in it. That said, I will list out our challenges of this process.

Our 2014 Ram truck, as much as we love it, has been a major pain!! It has been one delay after another for aftermarket products...I finally have my normal 50 gallon TransferFlow tank installed after months of waiting. I am still waiting for my B&W Hitch to fit into the darn 5th wheel prep pucks that came in my truck :-( Yes, I could go purchase the 500$ Mopar adapter and then pick up a different hitch like an ISR PullRite hitch, but I really have loved my B&W hitch set-ups in the past and that is what I am trying to be patient for!!

So far, the only real complaint I have on the 5th wheel is something I believe Winnebago really missed the mark on. They placed the bypass valves for the hot water tank and the low point drain valves INSIDE the pass through storage area!! To make matters worse, they placed it all behind the finished wall and thought they were being helpful by doing a cutout measuring roughly 12x16 inches and SCREWED another piece of felt covered wood over it. The drain for the fresh water tank is located right above the forward axle a full arms length underneath the 5th wheel...it is hard to reach and you pretty much have to go between the tires or crawl underneath in front of the tires to get to it.

So yes, to winterize the unit, I have to crawl inside my storage area, unscrew an access door, barely reach my low point drain tabs, and use the bypass valves for the water heater. I do not see how in the world Winnebago thought this was a reasonable design choice. I suspect this was a blueprint error that they did not catch somehow on the first few units and I will be contacting them to see if they can do any relocation mods. They could have at least had the decency to make the access door more "accessible"...ie...hinged, slider, etc...

All that said though, we still believe we are going to LOVE this RV...it truly does seem to be well built and the floor plan will be great for us. I will try to upload some pics of the location of everything I have described if anyone is interested in seeing what I am talking about. Like I said, I will not be surprised if Winnebago has already realized how big of an error this is and already changed it.

You folks tell me.....am I nuts for thinking that EVERY customer will think this is a really poor design choice for locating the winterization access points or are there people out there that won't mind crawling inside the storage area and doing this?
Old 03-01-2014, 08:07 AM   #11

Ford Super Duty Owner
welcome to irv2
aschuh53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 02:16 PM   #12

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Bruce Dickson 2013 Thor Challenger 37GT, 5 Star Tune, Safe-T-Plus Steering Control with Air Trim, Roadmaster front and rear Sway Bars, SuperSteer rear Track Bar, Crossfires, 2018 Honda CRV . Full timers since Jan 2012.
bdickson is offline   Reply With Quote