Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > New Member Check-In
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-12-2019, 10:47 AM   #1

Excited Newbie

Super excited for our new adventures and what seems to be a great community of like-minded people.

We have been kicking tires for about 6 months and have finally narrowed it down to two different models/years of Monaco class A diesel units. We did consider a 5th wheel for some time, but we finally decided a diesel pusher with a Jeep Wrangler would be a great fit for us (we got our Jeep Wrangler JL soft top in red...now we need an RV).

I am new to this site and I have been looking for a thread that talked about pre-delivery inspections, but I have not found anything as of yet...any help would be greatly appreciated (and I did look, as I don't want to be that person that asks the same question and didn't even bother to look!).

We did do an inspection on one of the units that we are interested in, but it wasn't much more than a guy turning on systems and saying they worked. I was wondering if anyone does full inspections at a certified mechanic? And if yes, what do you have checked and at what price? We are buying an older unit, so it won't have a warranty. I am only looking units with maintenance records, but I still feel that an additional inspection would be a good idea.

Well, I think that's about it for now. I hope the info I am looking for isn't on the shelf behind the bread as it usually is when my wife finds it for me

Thanks,

VChris
vchris619 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-12-2019, 11:33 AM   #2
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Hi ! Welcome to IRV2! We're sure glad you joined the gang!

If there's a certified RV inspector in your area I think it would be money well-spent to have the rig inspected. It could save you many times what the inspection costs! JMHO

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2019, 11:44 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via AIM to tmw188
Don't worry about asking questions that may have been asked in the past because just about every question there is has been asked in the past. If no one was out there asking questions or looking for suggestions this site would be dead. Try going to the Monaco Owners forum they may help you look for particular things. Someone may have or had the same model and yr. Good luck!
Old 01-12-2019, 11:57 AM   #4

Greetings and welcome to the iRV2 forums. Lots of folks with helpful experience post here.

Yes, there are commercial inspectors and they have a trade association:

https://nrvia.org/

There have been a number of threads in the past 6 months about inspections and the biggest take-away from them has been this: understand exactly what a particular inspector can and cannot do for you in the situation that presents itself. That means the inspector may not be a mechanic so his/her report will cover the "house" and its systems (HVAC, cooking, water & waste systems, leaks/water penetration, condition of floors/walls/ceiling, side operation, tire dates, battery age, awnings, etc) but nothing on engine, transmission, brakes, steering or suspension.

Depending on the seller you may be able to arrange for a mechanical inspection of the chassis systems or at least have oil, transmission fluid and coolant samples drawn and sent out for analysis.

Is this unit geographically close to you or is it in a distant location?
Old 01-12-2019, 03:10 PM   #5

Solo_RV_Guy,

Thank you for the link, I will take a look at that now. The rig is about 2 1/2 hours away, so it is close enough to get it checked correctly.

I am thinking I would like to get the fluids checked at the very least.

Thank you for your assistance,

VChris
vchris619 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2019, 07:24 PM   #6

Tiffin Owners Club
Welcome to the forum and congrats on your upcoming rig.

You are joining a good group of folks here with good info to share. Do get an inspection done and by someone you hire not the seller.

Enjoy the adventure.
momdoc is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags