Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > New Member Check-In
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-22-2011, 10:22 PM   #1

Fifth wheel as camphouse

I've been reading the forums for several weeks, but just joined. My Significant Other and I picked up our (well, his, but he got it for me...) 1998 Alumascape 30' FW this Saturday. It's at his house while we work on it then it will become our weekend home away from home on 20 acres in the middle of a national forest in MS.

He, his ex-wife, and son camped in something he refers to as a "gotel", which I think was a van-type camper and he's outfitted a utility trailer for basic sleeping and cooking. I have tent-camped fewer than 10 nights with a large group of friends at a campground with restrooms and showers.

It's turning into a project because there's more work to be done than we thought (but that's probably no surprise to anyone here!). I've posted photos of the initial stages and will figure out where to post about the work.

Once it's ready to go, we'll park it temporarily on the property while we build a bulkhead on the hill where it will go semipermanently then build a "barn" for it before we move it in place and build a porch/deck.

We'll have a pump and water tank, and a septic tank, plus solar panels on the barn, but there will never be regular electrical power so we'll have to use the generator for some things. Guess it will kind of be boondocking without having to go anywhere to fill up with water or dump the tanks, but it won't be like full hook ups.

I know I'll have some questions and look forward to getting know the nice folks here. I've really enjoyed reading lots of messages here. Great info!

Liz

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-22-2011, 11:55 PM   #2

Forest River Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Send a message via Yahoo to The General
Liz,

On the bright side: no neighbors to have close by.
Beautiful cute cuddly furbearing and slimy animals to pet.
Lots of bears to ride and feed your body parts to.
Inner and outer peace and tranquility reign and you and hubby will be together 24/7.

On the downside: no neighbors to have close by.
Beautiful cute cuddly furbearing and slimy animals to pet.
Lots of bears to ride and feed your body parts to.
Inner and outer peace and tranquility reign and you and hubby will be together 24/7.

Sounds good to me and your 1998 Alumascape 30' FW will be a wonderful way to live while you accomplish your goals together.

Steve

Old 03-23-2011, 05:28 AM   #3

Steve,

Thanks for the welcome. I think you're right about just about all of that, although I don't think there are any bears. A couple of large wild pigs, but no bears. Lots of deer, coons, and turkeys (BIG turkeys), too.

liz

P.S. T and I aren't married. He has his place and I have my place, so this is the first "our" place.
Old 03-23-2011, 12:30 PM   #4

Forest River Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Yummy turkeys.....sounds like a good idea for you to invite all iRV2 members to Thanksgiving with all the trimmings.
Just kidding but I can smell the feast now!
Really sounds like paradise so enjoy and let us know how things are progressing.

One of your iRV2 friends,
Steve Bernard
2008 Fleetwood Bounder 35E/Ford
President Gold Country Roos of Nor Cal
Old 03-23-2011, 03:20 PM   #5

Steve,

I don't think you'd want to eat these turkeys. They are HUGE and probably on the old side. My SO says that they'd probably be tough and have lots of tendons in the legs. Definitely not the young, juicy, succulent birds we think of for turkey dinner. Might be a good excuse for folks to try a fried turkey!

Other than that, it might be fun to have a get-together, but I'm not sure how well the big rigs would do on the logging roads you have to drive to get back there . Anybody who likes walks in southern hardwood forests would enjoy walking the trail to the nearby river.

Will try to post a photo one of these days. There are usually five to seven in any given "turkey trot" but the cameras have caught as many as 12 big gobblers.

liz
Old 03-23-2011, 03:49 PM   #6

Forest River Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Liz and SO,

We live about as far away from Baton Rouge as one can get and live at the American River where the same turkeys roam in packs of 4-5 males and 7-10 females until it becomes mating season. We will see hens with a gaggle of chicks in about a month or so.
Would always protect them if they needed it but they are wise and tough as nails. Thanksgiving is a long time from now and our birds have nothing to fear from us.
Enjoy your neck of the woods and see you both around the bend,

Steve and Dale Bernard