Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > New Member Check-In
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-06-2012, 09:17 PM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Finally Getting Around to Checking In

Hello from North Texas
I've lurked here and elsewhere for 6 or more months - finally registering here about 3 weeks ago, and just now getting around to saying hello.

I have learned quite a bit here while trying to decide which MH to purchase. Everything except which motorhome to purchase, which chassis mfg,, gasser or DP, or engine.

I knew that would be the case with so many variables from cost to floor plan, etc., but the more I read, the more I realized that like everything else in life, there are no guarantees. You just have to move ahead with your eyes open and find what works for you, or least what you think will work and adjust accordingly. I also remember reading a post from ?? when someone was about to give up their dream based on all the broken this - failed that - dead whatcha callit posts - they basically said - the forum was intended to help with these kinds of things - which can happen to any coach - and if you want glowing reviews go to the mfg website. That kept me from throwing in the towel too.

On Aug 15th we took the plunge and went with a 2008 Bounder 38F. We live in the DFW area but purchased it from a dealer in Albuquerque - contingent sale pending our acceptance. We flew on over - liked what we saw and over the course of two weeks put over 1,000 miles on her. No issues to speak of except for not checking the date stamp on the tires - they looked so good I didn't pay any attention - 39th week of 2007 (16k miles on them). At least I had learned enough to negotiate a price that will allow me to replace them and still hold onto my dignity.

I'm still working my day job (of 25 years) and plan to retire at the end of next year. We are already moving toward fulltime status. Divested of sticks and bricks and been in an apt for the past 3 years. We are readying for the first garage sale at the end of the month with more to come - and ultimately go over the next year.

We will be searching for a place to retire - whether it is a cabin in the woods, a bungalow on a beach - or piece of a park to put our MH on. Who knows what/where or how long that will take. So for now the plan is to store some things one or the other of us can't part with until that's worked out. I know, I know...

We have already gotten most of the "soft items" purchased, extension cords, hoses, etc., lightening my tool chest, etc. I thought at first waiting until the end of next year was too long - but it's not easy to jettison a lifetime of things. We still have 2 cars to sell, a toad to buy and set up, and some maintenance to have done - all of which is time related as there are no know issues - other than having that Norcold 4 door which has been recall corrected but has me scratching my head.

Anyway - long winded as I am - need to move on to the next thing. With so much on my plate these days, I don't know how much I will be able to participate, but I will be reading for sure.

Thanks to all for the great job you do here assisting others, sharing your experiences, know how, etc. Looking forward to a long friendship with all.
steve and annie
flaggship1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-07-2012, 06:44 AM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Steve & Annie:

G'morning from the ....COLD....(27 deg.) prairies of South Dakota and a BIG WELCOME !!

Yup, pickin that first rig can be tough but it sounds like your Bounder is a good choice. It's great that ya got your sticks and bricks sold and are positioned to "hit the road" when you're ready.

We've been on the road full time (no house, no stuff) since 05 and sure enjoy this lifestyle. Got stuck up here in our home state of South Dakota for a family wedding, but we'll be migrating to that warm South land in a couple days.

Good luck with your preparations, and, again, WELCOME.

Steve & Lynette
Old 10-07-2012, 08:03 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Hi Steve & Annie Welcome to the group. I can see you have your hands full with all your plans. A great choice you've made. I wish you and Annie a great life in your choices. Bounders are great and you'll enjoy yours. You'll have many memories together and alot of laughs and will meet plenty of great people along the way. Good luck with your plans.
US Navy Vet.
Bruce C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 01:57 PM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chickadee
Steve & Annie:

G'morning from the ....COLD....(27 deg.) prairies of South Dakota and a BIG WELCOME !!

Yup, pickin that first rig can be tough but it sounds like your Bounder is a good choice. It's great that ya got your sticks and bricks sold and are positioned to "hit the road" when you're ready.

We've been on the road full time (no house, no stuff) since 05 and sure enjoy this lifestyle. Got stuck up here in our home state of South Dakota for a family wedding, but we'll be migrating to that warm South land in a couple days.

Good luck with your preparations, and, again, WELCOME.

Steve & Lynette
Steve & Lynette thanks for the welcome.
Hope I'm getting this reply in the right place. Using the iPhone is a little different than the laptop.

I didn't mention in my intro that in '91 I bought a new Airstream 190 B Van and drove it as my primary vehicle for years. Back then we couldn't afford 2 cars and a Motorhome so this worked for us. Over 10 years we visited South Dakota 4 times and loved it. I do recall seeing a little radioactive symbol next to SD winter weather in book somewhere. Perfectly lovely for those who grew up with it I'm sure - but we dipped into the 40's the past two nights here and we're staying inside!

Safe travels to you both as you head to warmer weather. Don't forget to get ya some of that free Wall water on your way south.
Steve and Annie
flaggship1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 09:52 AM   #5
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Hi Steve & Annie! Welcome to IRV2! It's great to have you with us! Congrats on the new rig! Sounds like you've done your homework and are ready to hit the road. Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!
MSHappyCampers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 06:59 AM   #6

Hi to the both of you and welcome to the family! As you already know there are a lot of very nice people on these pages and tons of help when needed.
TheArnolds is offline   Reply With Quote