Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > New Member Check-In
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 09-27-2009, 08:08 PM   #1
first motorhome not so great

hi all i just joined the forum a couple weeks ago we just purchased a 1976 ford okanogan.looked okay on purchase but on closer inspetion its going to take some work to have it up and camping.all the lights were shorting out i managed to get them all fixed except top clearence lights.i cant figure where the wiring goes. when i opened up the back it is rotten and wet on the back corners.how big of a job am i looking at.any help or advice will be apppreciated thanks Bill.

kingfisher2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-27-2009, 08:44 PM   #2
Community Moderator

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Welcome kingfisher2 to irv2.
All is not lost because we have some Vintage forum people here that have the answers.
Plus some threads of rebuilds that look better than the original coach or TT.
Enjoy the reading you may have a job on your hands but just take it one step at a time and you should do ok.

98KSCA, 99MACA, 03 KSCA-3740- 8.1 Chev-- ALLISON Trans, now in good hands
"007" is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2009, 06:10 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Welcome to iRV2. Post some photos on the Vintage Owners Forum and we can see if we can help. rotted wood needs to be pulled out and rebuilt. Depending on the extent of the damage, it can be easy or it can be a lot of work.

Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|Full-Time! - 2012 6.7L Ford Crew Cab Dually -2013 HitchHiker Champagne 38RLRSB - Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 01:34 AM   #4
Bill,I think you will help us all if you can send some pictures as you go along.
I restored 4 small collectable trailers and as everyone else will tell you if you found a little there is most likely a lot you haven't seen yet unless you are very lucky.

First thing to do is try and find the leak. You have to find it and stop it by resealing the entry point. Look on the vintage site. It's a common problem.

It can be the windows, air conditioner, vents, seams where the side joins the roof or the roof seams.

The thing is to First is get on the vintage forum and every one will be able to help.

Remember to wear a GOOD mask when you pull the old wood out. Not a paper dust mask. I got sick doing the first one and I know 2 guys that nearly died from the mould redoing a trailer.

Disposible paper painters suits from an auto body supply are great. They save your clothes and you. Only wear them once. Don't wear them into the house.

Take every thing out of the area of the trailer your working in. I mean out of the trailer unless you can't get it out the door.. The joy ends about the 22nd time you have moved it in a day.

Take pictures and measurements as you got. I used a large pad of paper with squares printed on it.

Remember no matter how bad it gets, the light at the end of the tunnel is not the 7:15 Express out of Denver. It's the lamp of success.

The last trailer I did looked solid as a rock until the first rain.
When I finished getting rid of the wood rot I had a pile of metal and a pile of rotten wood and a bunch of cupboards sitting on a trailer frame.

Curse my Scots and English blood lines I didn't stop when a smart man would have and I rebuilt the entire thing just to prove to myself and the hang arounds at my buddys body shop that I was not beaten by a trailer.

fasteddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 03:57 AM   #5
Yes Sir, i did the same with a 79 overlander, $10,000.00 later it ran great! Guy at the rv parts place told me anything over 10 years old is an antique, had to prove I could get it going........
ccp9150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 07:26 PM   #6
ccp9150, it"s only money. The main thing is you won the battle.

fasteddy is offline   Reply With Quote