Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > New Member Check-In
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-08-2012, 07:20 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Florida newB

Looking at retirement in the next few years and we want to "see the country". Had a TT for about five years while the kids were young, now thinking of a class "A" for months on the road at a time.

Are we biting off more than we can chew? Any suggestions?
NotNow is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-08-2012, 07:30 PM   #2
KIX

Personally speaking I think you will enjoy traveling in a Class A much more than a TT. If you can afford it I recommend a diesel pusher. And not just because that's what we have but because they are much more relaxing to drive than a gasser. They are a little more expensive to maintain unless you can do a lot of the maintenance yourself.
So, if you're healthy and enjoy traveling, go for it.
KIX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 09:29 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Thanks Kix. We started looking for a class C. DW immediatly was drawn to the 30+ gas class A's. I believe that if we go that far we might as well go DP and a little more length.

By the way, I also have an 04 Rubi (will be toad) and we are in Jax.
Old 10-08-2012, 09:39 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by KIX View Post
Personally speaking I think you will enjoy traveling in a Class A much more than a TT. If you can afford it I recommend a diesel pusher. And not just because that's what we have but because they are much more relaxing to drive than a gasser. They are a little more expensive to maintain unless you can do a lot of the maintenance yourself.
So, if you're healthy and enjoy traveling, go for it.

Could you elaborate on the maintenance cost?
BT-III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 10:56 PM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
Welcome!

We have a 32ft gasser and it has been a good choice for us just for weekend travels, but at some point before retirement we do plan to go a little larger and possibly diesel... I've been researching the Allegro RED. It has a 34, 36, and 38ft floorplans. You may want to check them out...
Swansonia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 05:44 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Welcome to the group. You'll enjoy the space difference in a class a, gas or diesel is a choice you'll have to make yourself based on your likes and dislikes. I have owned both and currently based on the amount of time we have to go it's a gas 35 footer, and it has been trouble free and we enjoy the space we have in it. The diesel as mentioned, I did my own maintenance but it two was enjoyable. It was expensive to have in in the shop, but held a higher resale value. It's all a matter of choice. Good luck and I'm sure you'll find what really fits your needs. Read the forums and ask questions. Good luck.
US Navy Vet.
Bruce C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 05:59 AM   #7

I would say go ahead and jump in , the water's warm and welcome to the froum...
John H... is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 06:56 AM   #8

Welcome to the board!
1200bruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 09:05 AM   #9
KIX

Quote:
Originally Posted by BT-III View Post
Could you elaborate on the maintenance cost?
An oil change for my deezle is doe either @ 15,000 miles or annually.
A gasser is done @ 5,000 miles.
So, if you only drive 5,000 miles per year the gasser would be cheaper as far as oil changes go.
Tires need to be replaced every 5 - 8 years. Lots of differing opinions on this subject. Lots of gasser tires are about $175 ea. Deezles tires are usually larger and more expensive at abut $550 ea.
Shop time for gassers is about $100/hr. Deezle shop is about $125/hr. Then deezles seem to take more time to do things that gassers.
Deezles mostly have air brakes and the dessicant dryer cartridge needs to be renewed every 2 - 3 years. Gassers don't have air brakes.
Diesels usually have less ground clearance to be able to do maintenance yourself. To get under a deezle you'll have to have some way of safely creating more space to get under it. There's expense in that.

All that stuff is my opinion and YMMV. If you were to specify a specific gas model and operating miles per year vs. a specific deezle and operating miles per year you could probably get much more accurate numbers. In my case the pluses of diesel operation outweigh any additional operating expenses over gas.
KIX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 09:43 AM   #10

Fleetwood Owners Club
If you can't afford the small difference in cost between a gas & DP maintenance.

Then you may be better off not getting a MH to begin with.

I do my own maintenance and for the 122 months I have owned my DP.
The average cost per month for maintenance including all fluid & filters is $30.16
Tires(8 so far) $22.70
Repair/Replace parts chassis/engine with labor $19.40

I have no problem with clearance getting under my DP to grease it or do any other maintenance job.
Triker56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 04:25 PM   #11
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Welcome to IRV2! It's great to have you join the bunch here! We pulled a 5er for 11 years before going to a Class A just a few months ago. It was a shocker for a while, but I've about learned my way around the monster now. Just do a lot of research before buying a Class A. It can be a really expensive mistake! Good luck & God bless!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 08:14 AM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Welcome to the forum! As you can see there are a lot of knowledgeable and helpful folks here. We rented a Class C for about a month before ever buying anything. Almost a year later, after doing a lot of research and shopping around, we bought our Class A, DP.
Putting the time in to decide what will fit your lifestyle and budget will be well worth it.
Best of luck and let us know what you end up with.
Old 10-10-2012, 06:13 PM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
Thanks guys. Lots of research to do yet. We will be going to Daytona in November to look at the new rigs. Luckily, I have time to save money and learn!

Tags
florida