Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > New Member Check-In
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-22-2011, 09:49 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by chief02
All I can say is OMG..good luck.
Thanks, keep an eye out here, I'll be posting my adventure when it starts . . . :-)))

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-22-2011, 09:54 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChefGarry
... and I'm not so sure about the free fuel from Micky D and the Chinese restaurants! I make my living with WVO {waste vegetable oil) and at the moment restaurants are expecting to get paid for their waste oil.... Best of luck tho!
That's ok too. Long as it is cheaper than what I have to pay suppliers of new oil.
The main thing is that because of the high lubricity compared to petro diesel, the engine lasts longer.
In any case it's a lot cheaper than the prices at the pump for petro diesel.
And too, depends on what the big boys are offering and how reliable they are compared to me the small, careful and reliable local guy ?

And how do you make a living with WVO ?

Old 11-22-2011, 10:05 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by campclan
I see you've got some thought into this... Look for a unit that has a cold weather package.. support the axles with jack stands or something of the like. As already stated F-250 is what you will be looking at if your in the market for a Diesel. For 5k probably will have some age/ miles on it. Good Luck..
Ok, what is a cold weather package and is there a "package" to get the tires off the ground and how is that supported ?
As to a diesel pickup, either Ford or GM is ok and under 200k miles and under $10k long as it can tow 8-10k of trailer.
Just need an automatic cuz my right shoulder has 3 metal clips and a "stick" is now out of the realm of possibility.
Good thing I'm generally a lefty anyway. Though I'm ambidextrous writing on a chalkboard and with a stick welder and a gas cutting torch and ambi with a plasma cutter but not a 12 gauge semi. Can't use a pump anymore. Not even a 20. Might try learning a fly rod lefty ?
Old 11-22-2011, 10:13 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by jminyard
Hi Larry! Man, you're full of questions! Sounds like you are a really resourceful guy that will find the answers, no matter what it takes! Sorry about your divorce, but good luck on the rest! Not sure about that area, but you'd have a hard time finding a diesel F-150 around here. We're glad you joined us. Good luck & God bless!
Keep an eye out here cuz I'm gonna post my adventures soon as they start.
So far, I've been told that F-250 is the starting for a diesel. But Ford or GM is ok.
I'll go as high as $10k and 200k miles but it has to be an automatic.
My right shoulder has 3 titanium clips in it.
So now the only "stick" I can handle is a Harley (left foot).
And, yeah, I'll be looking for a '79 Superglide, last year for a kick start.
I was always forgetting to turn off the headlight.
Old 11-22-2011, 11:18 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by BonesBarth
Running the genny 24/7 isn't needed since you probably won't have the need for that much power. You would need a gen with quite a dutycycle to pull that off. Remember that sealing the genny in a box cures the noise issues but the engine has to be cooled. Your plan would be more fesasible in cold weather. You could always plumb the engine heat into the TT (I'm assuming it's a water cooled genny). In the summer, that is a different story.

I looked a one 6k generator running at 1/2 rated load and it would use about 125 gallons of fuel per month. That is only running 12 hours a day, double that for 24/7. Don't forget that WVO still has to be processed even if only filtered. That costs money as does hauling the oil to your home base. WVO also needs to be heated to use it which can present problems when the temps drop. There is no such thing as a free lunch.

You seem to have done some research on the subject but be sure you won't have problems with living on whatever land you buy to park your TT on. I know in my area it wouldn't fly. What I've seen is someone who built an "RV" in a diesel box truck. He saved a bunch of money and flew under the radar with his stealth RV. He towed a small cargo trailer and lived quite comfortable in his rig. He ended up getting a spot to park at his job and provided security for the business at night, a win for everyone.

Check out this link for a few ideas. just food for thought.

About Us
Thanks for the link and stay tuned for my adventures.
It's gonna be a learn the wrinkles as I go project.
Unlike the box van fellow, this is on principle !
I was the Mr.Mom and after the divorce I'll be walking away with about $140,000.
So I'm in the process of purchasing several businesses that should net me about $150k annually give or take $50k.
But the problem I have is that without a "job" no landlord will rent me anything in this NY tristate area.
But there are numerous plots of unimproved properties for sale fairly cheap. So I calculate that I can have living quarters that I own for $20-30k
plus $200 to 1,500 annually in taxes and if I set up greenhouses and declare it a farm, $0 taxes.
Or even buy property that is already zoned recreational. In which case you are not allowed to build anything anyway.
There are a multitude of ways to run off the revenoors.
The rest of it is to reduce my cost of living as much as possible and pay as little taxes as possible.
It isn't any one big thing, it will be an accumulation of a lot of little things. Such as solar, the right windmills, heat pumps, a Jacobs wall or 2, copper tubing heat sinks to convert an air cooled diesel generator to liquid and pump the heat to the outdoor hot tub and to preheat the RV hot water supply along with using the Peltier effect where ever possible. And using the generator at my peak usage times for maybe 2-5 hours a day. And of course transesterificated B100 has no need of preheating and stores longer and more safely too. And the glycerine can be sold back, but I will keep the soap. As long as I can make my own biodiesel for less than $1 or maybe less than 50 cents, I am well ahead of the $4-5 at the pump for petro and besides biodiesel's greater lubricity adds to the life of the engine too. Whether it is WVO or new only the price matters.
But you are absolutely right: TANSTAAFL !
That is from Robert A. Heinlein's book : The Moon is a Harsh Mistress.
I'm only looking for a decent lunch at a reasonably reduced cost.
And at the same time trying to make sure that what I spend doesn't go to countries and people that hate us and want to harm and kill us. [Moderator edit]
And of course add to that list, the corporations and the rich that haven't paid their fair share in 30 years and want to destroy America.
Oops, they don't want to destroy they just want to own America. So I guess, count me part of the 99% that just wants my country back and my weapon of choice is money. Deny it to the enemy and spend it among friends.
So I will document everything I do and recount it here.
It will start the moment the divorce is final.
Old 11-22-2011, 11:55 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by wa8yxm
First Bio Fuel is now big business, So most of the French Fryer places like McD's and Fat King sell their used grease to recyclers. Plus you have to pay for additives and processing so no such thing as free fuel.

As for living in NYC in a trailer year round... You have to get water in and sewage out, Now getting water in is fairly easy, they make a water hose with a built in defroster, Bit pricy but you can "home brew" if you like by running heat tape and hose both through the popular "FUN Noodles"

Sewage however will require some work to keep the exposed pipes from freezing up.
Absolutely right, in America, nothing is free. Nothing. That having been said, there is a large difference between $4-5 a gallon for petro diesel and $0.50-1 a gallon for B100 which is better for the engine too. Whether I use WVO or new, all that matters is the cost to have it sitting next to my processor and that I am buying from an American farmer as opposed to an Arab terrorist in the middle east plotting how to kill me.
And, no, I am not going to be living in NYC. Near it, yes. Within 50-200 miles. Near enough to get local utilities onto my property to a "hook-up".
I just need the person who knows how to install a "hook-up" just like the "hook-ups" found in every trailer park.
Am I correct in that these "hook-ups" have connections for power, water,gas and sewer ?
I know enough plumbing and electrical to make the connections. I've got a degree in electronics and I've held a special electricians license in NYC for 14 years. Plus I've taken welding courses so I know what is necessary to make 40-400 amp 3 and 4 wire SOOW extension cables too. And I even know about "black" pipe and the bubble test.
So water in and out and sewer and gas isn't any problem. As to keeping pipes warm that are above the freezing level, it's about 24 inches down here, take a look at www.wrap-on.com. Not a problem, at all. Yeah, they make that Odors-Away too, which I've used for more than 50 years and it works !
And then there is Roxul-HT for the exposed pipes that are wrapped in heater wire from Wrap-On.
I do have one question : What are "FUN Noodles"? And what are you referring to that I can "home brew" ?
Anyway, stay tuned for my adventures hopefully starting soon, as soon as divorce is final, anyway.
Old 11-23-2011, 12:35 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluepill
I would be surpiised if there were not laws against what you propose to do anywhere in the NY metro area. You can't be the first one to have thought of it. Pre- 9/11 it might have been easier to be stealth, but these days DHS might just show up with a swat team. Remember that diesel is one half of ANFO explosive, and storage - even if legal - might put you in Rikers.

It seems that a trailer park in the outying areas might make more sense, especially if you don't need to work in NYC. I live in the Putnam/Dutchess county area, and there are quite a few trailer parks here.
No laws against it. It is easier if the property is zoned recreational rather than residential. Petro diesel yes, biodiesel, no. B100 is safer to store and is not an explosive. It is either a fuel or a propellant. Maybe I am the first ? Anyway, who but a single guy and his 3 cats wants to live this way ?
Most people (women, mostly) want the most indoor space possible. Ie: most folks want a big house on a small piece of property. I want a small home on the biggest piece of property ! So a TT provides a small kitchen, full bath and a bedroom. All I need indoors is a 60x30 desk office area and a lounging rocker. 300 sqft is plenty, then add 5,000 sqft of outdoor living room. Add an 8 sqft catio and that's enough.

Maybe in NYC, but I don't wish to live in NYC anyway. Outside NYC the zoning laws are all the same, Westchester, Putnam or Duchess or Rockland or Orange too. The main thing is that if there are no "permanent structures" the property taxes are calculated for "unimproved land" and are in the range of $100 to $1000 annually. A TT does not meet the legal requirement of a "permanent structure". Nor does a "hook-up".

As to making my own B100, no law against it. Plus I intend to go the ethanol route and making ethanol is legal so long as I don't intend to drink it.
I could just buy it if I can get it cheap enough. And there is no law against the purchase or ownership of a few or a few dozen pounds of sodium hydroxide either. I do not intend to make and store to much B100 at any given time. I am looking at either a 40 gallon processor or a 75 gallon processor. Probably go with the 40. What I do intend to buy is the seed oil in sufficient amounts to get it as cheap as possible within reason.
I am not gonna store 10,000 gallons just to get it 5 or 10 cents a gallon cheaper. One ton of seed oil is four 55 gallon drums. So 8 drums a month is probably enough. That would give me about 200 gallons a month of fuel. After a while, maybe I'd cut back to 4 drums a month. We'll see how much energy I need and how much I can produce by other methods like wind and solar. There is the additional factor of selling back one of the byproducts
Which is glycerine. That reduces the cost of the seed oil substantially. There is a lot of it. The final by product is soap. That I'll keep. But then I have to calculate what that saves me so I can get the final cost of the seed oil.

Anyway, my adventure starts as soon as the divorce is final. Stay tuned here... :-))
Old 11-23-2011, 01:11 PM   #22

I applaud Your plan and wish you well but dealing with the county is going to be a nightmare. Here in Fl. you need 5 acres to put a "mobile home" on and you can't just buy a lot and park a trailer or MH on it and live in it. The utility companies won't put power, water or sewer on your property unless you have a permit which you won't get unless you have a house on the property.

There is a law for every law so doing anything is anything but easy. My neighbor just got fined for putting up a swing set for his kids without a permit as crazy as that is.

I have been researching buying an acre and putting my 5th wheel on it for living in it in the winter. No go. I need to have a livable house or mobile home on the property before I can do it. So, good luck I hope you find a way.
Old 11-23-2011, 04:32 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billieg
I applaud Your plan and wish you well but dealing with the county is going to be a nightmare. Here in Fl. you need 5 acres to put a "mobile home" on and you can't just buy a lot and park a trailer or MH on it and live in it. The utility companies won't put power, water or sewer on your property unless you have a permit which you won't get unless you have a house on the property.

There is a law for every law so doing anything is anything but easy. My neighbor just got fined for putting up a swing set for his kids without a permit as crazy as that is.

I have been researching buying an acre and putting my 5th wheel on it for living in it in the winter. No go. I need to have a livable house or mobile home on the property before I can do it. So, good luck I hope you find a way.
---------
Different here. An hour north of NYC you can pretty much do anything you like.
Old 11-27-2011, 05:52 AM   #24

Bigger is better...in some cases

We are newbies to the RV world...our home was destroyed by Tropical Storm Lee & our daughter graciously drove her RV from ColoradO Springs to PA, but having lived here for 10 weeks...It's tight...maybe coming from 2500sf & under the circumstances, backbreaking work and fighting full-time with FEMA...but it's just 2 of us, 2 shelties and 3 kitties and it was a fun vacation for the first few weeks, but now it just feels a little confining, so if I were choosing this life, I think I'd go bigger rather than smaller.