Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > New Member Check-In
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-22-2011, 11:45 AM   #1

Found a loophole !

Hi Folks,
I'm looking to buy a Travel Trailer. And a used F-150 (diesel) that can tow it.
But not to travel ! Not yet, anyway.
I live in the NYC area and I'm in the middle of a nasty divorce.
Rather than get an apartment at $12-18k annual rent for 300-400 sqft, I've found the perfect loophole.
A travel trailer of about 300-400 sqft when parked on a piece of vacant property does NOT constitute
a "fixed structure" or a "permanent structure" for tax purposes.
So . . .
Property taxes constitute anywhere from $200-1,500 per year for "unimproved property".
Best yet, no shared walls and ceilings and floors !
So folks, That's what I'm gonna do! But I have no experience with travel trailer living,
least of all in one place through all four seasons in NYC area weather.
Just me and my three little buddies Freddy, Boogie & Bianca (one pedigree, other two are rescues)
and planning on one more pedigree, maybe...
So, from time to time, I'll be asking questions here and detailing my experiences (and pictures too),
along with stuff I buy to solve problems. Starting with a 6KW Diesel generator with transfer switch for power @ $1,500.
Build a box lined with Roxul-HT and you can't hear it 12" away. Right, 12 inches !
I plan on running this 24/7 on biodiesel (plenty of Chinese take-out and MickyD's here for free waste oil),
to get a check from Con-Ed instead of payin'em ! And then there is Wrap-on.com. They make that Odors-Away little bottle of goodness that actually gets rid of all kinds of odors. But they also make a really good line of pipe warming wraps !
But what I really need is the person that can install a "hook-up" from local services.
I buy a piece of property and Con-Ed will install "the drop" but they will expect to see a building.
Who puts in the hook-up or whatever so that Con-Ed will install the drop ? And at what amperage ? 100? 200? 400?
I don't need more amps cuz my welding setup is gonna run from a Miller Trailblazer 302 diesel.
I am also assuming that All travel trailers take single phase 60Hz AC.
Gas, water & sewer are easy, just need a recommendation for a knowledgeable plumber.
I'd like a custom designed Keystone Residence but not enough cash, so . . .
I found ads for a Used Cherokee 27L and a used Keystone Montana Mountaineer.
I like the big windows at the lounge end.
After divorce, I think my budget for the TT will be $12k or less.
I'm also gonna be in the market for a F-150 (diesel of course, nothing like free fuel!) for about $5k or so.
Also, is there any way to add insulation to a TT ? The roof is easy: heavy plastic sheet (8-10mil) over 6 inches of Roxul-HT.
ROXUL-HT !!! cuz it's fireproof and a sound barrier too !
But how to do the sides ?
Do all TT's have the heating elements underneath ?
What should the wheels sit on ?
I'm thinking a 12" deep pit lined with cinder block and filled with 3/4 crush and weeping system to a 4 foot dry well ?
Or is that overkill ?
And then there is the deck to replace the metal stairs ! And then there is the catio on the deck for my 3 little buddies,
and their private door in the bedroom wall.
Of course, my workshop is gonna be either a 20 or a 40 foot used steel cargo container.
Which I know how to make completely invisible !
The company that does the work is in Brooklyn. Real close
Can I tow the cargo container behind the TT ? With an F-150 ? Should I get an F-250 ?
And then there is the 2 most important necessities: the large deep fryer to make terducken (with stuffing) and a proper (hand made) smoker for brisket, filet mignon, bacon and best of all . . .
Smoked goats milk mozzerella for pizza in a brick oven. yes, I found a source for raw whole goats milk: $9.00 per gallon (makes 1 lb mozzerella ball plus ricotta plus hi protein whey)
Anyway, that's my wish list and I'm hoping to be working toward it in the next 2-4 months !
For now, I'm making plans and collecting info and recommendations.
If anyone needs info on anything, I'm a problem solver who cannot work because my [divorce] lawyer says not to.
So I have lots 'n lots of time on my hands !
Don't be shy !
Ask me anything . . . !
Larry.C
NYC area, 4now . . .
Larry.19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-22-2011, 12:08 PM   #2

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Ford Super Duty Owner
Carolina Campers
Wow, free fuel? If you have free fuel and a 6kw genny that's silent at 12", why do you need con-ed? Tell me more about this free fuel!
Ramblin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 12:16 PM   #3

Old 11-22-2011, 12:29 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
No such animal as an F-150 diesel...
It's F-250 and up. $5000. is probably wishful thinking
H. Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 12:48 PM   #5

Excel Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
All I can say is OMG..good luck.
chief02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 01:28 PM   #6

Tiffin Owners Club
Location: Lowell, Massachusetts, just 15 Minutes South of Tax Free New Hampshire & 30 minutes North of Boston!
... and I'm not so sure about the free fuel from Micky D and the Chinese restaurants! I make my living with WVO {waste vegetable oil) and at the moment restaurants are expecting to get paid for their waste oil.... Best of luck tho!
ChefGarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 01:28 PM   #7

Mid Atlantic Campers
Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I see you've got some thought into this... Look for a unit that has a cold weather package.. support the axles with jack stands or something of the like. As already stated F-250 is what you will be looking at if your in the market for a Diesel. For 5k probably will have some age/ miles on it. Good Luck..
Old 11-22-2011, 02:02 PM   #8
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Hi Larry! Man, you're full of questions! Sounds like you are a really resourceful guy that will find the answers, no matter what it takes! Sorry about your divorce, but good luck on the rest! Not sure about that area, but you'd have a hard time finding a diesel F-150 around here. We're glad you joined us. Good luck & God bless!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 02:59 PM   #9

Running the genny 24/7 isn't needed since you probably won't have the need for that much power. You would need a gen with quite a dutycycle to pull that off. Remember that sealing the genny in a box cures the noise issues but the engine has to be cooled. Your plan would be more fesasible in cold weather. You could always plumb the engine heat into the TT (I'm assuming it's a water cooled genny). In the summer, that is a different story.

I looked a one 6k generator running at 1/2 rated load and it would use about 125 gallons of fuel per month. That is only running 12 hours a day, double that for 24/7. Don't forget that WVO still has to be processed even if only filtered. That costs money as does hauling the oil to your home base. WVO also needs to be heated to use it which can present problems when the temps drop. There is no such thing as a free lunch.

You seem to have done some research on the subject but be sure you won't have problems with living on whatever land you buy to park your TT on. I know in my area it wouldn't fly. What I've seen is someone who built an "RV" in a diesel box truck. He saved a bunch of money and flew under the radar with his stealth RV. He towed a small cargo trailer and lived quite comfortable in his rig. He ended up getting a spot to park at his job and provided security for the business at night, a win for everyone.

Check out this link for a few ideas. just food for thought.

About Us
BonesBarth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 03:23 PM   #10

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
First Bio Fuel is now big business, So most of the French Fryer places like McD's and Fat King sell their used grease to recyclers. Plus you have to pay for additives and processing so no such thing as free fuel.

As for living in NYC in a trailer year round... You have to get water in and sewage out, Now getting water in is fairly easy, they make a water hose with a built in defroster, Bit pricy but you can "home brew" if you like by running heat tape and hose both through the popular "FUN Noodles"

Sewage however will require some work to keep the exposed pipes from freezing up.
Old 11-22-2011, 03:53 PM   #11

I would be surpiised if there were not laws against what you propose to do anywhere in the NY metro area. You can't be the first one to have thought of it. Pre- 9/11 it might have been easier to be stealth, but these days DHS might just show up with a swat team. Remember that diesel is one half of ANFO explosive, and storage - even if legal - might put you in Rikers.

It seems that a trailer park in the outying areas might make more sense, especially if you don't need to work in NYC. I live in the Putnam/Dutchess county area, and there are quite a few trailer parks here.
Yellowstone Lake 6-1-2012
bluepill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 04:13 PM   #12

Heartland RV Club
When the price of diesel fuel went through the roof a few years so went used oil,they used to pay to get rid of the stuff. A guy I used to work with made his own bio fuel ,he has a hard time getting any now.

Good luck.

Wayne
Tallyrver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 08:33 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramblin
Wow, free fuel? If you have free fuel and a 6kw genny that's silent at 12", why do you need con-ed? Tell me more about this free fuel!
Biodiesel. It ain't free but at about 50 cents a gallon it sure beats $4-5 at the pump.
Additional advantages are that it provides better lubrication than petro diesel.
And no money goes to countries and folks that hate and bomb and kill us.
It mostly goes to US & Canadian farmers.
And TRE process yields glycerine (sold back) and soap to keep yer butt Kleen!
If you can get waste oil from your local restaurants it gets cheaper than 50 cents.
You just gotta be resourceful with maintaining your list of suppliers.
Four 55 gal drums of new oil is one ton. That's gonna make about 100 gallons of biodiesel.
So I gotta find suppliers that will deliver.
The reason for the 6kw gen is to supply power for charging up electric transportation.
The wrinkle is : if you put your home made biodiesel directly in your vehicle, the IRS gets to tax it.
If you take your ford Taurus and electrify it and use the generator to charge the batteries, NO IRS TAX.
Or charge the batteries in your electric high performance motorcycle or the batteries in your Segway !
Or heat or cool or cook in your home or RV.
you gotta know both the wrinkles and the rules. Then you live cheap, real cheap.
Then there is solar and wind. And I don't mean those big airplane propellers either.
To much vibration and startup wind velocity is to high. There is another kind called cyclonic.
Much cheaper, much smaller and much lower startup wind speeds. The company is in CA.
Fuel cells would be nice but there are none that are small enough. Bloomenergy's smallest and only
model is 100KW and at a million$'s it is a little on the pricey side for me. Especially when it's only good for 14 years!
Bottom line it isn't just one thing, you gotta do lots a little things that add up.
It's an energy economy. And there are lots a little ways to generate it. You start with one thing and just keep adding.
Always use the Internet and some of the 15,000 search engines to hunt down means and methods of making and moving energy.
Old 11-22-2011, 08:47 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by H. Miller
No such animal as an F-150 diesel...
It's F-250 and up. $5000. is probably wishful thinking
Thanks. Actually, I'll be interested in any diesel pickup that can tow a 30 foot (about...) TT. 8,000 to 10,000 lbs ?
Also need it to tow another trailer: I'm looking into becoming either a Line-X or Armorthane/Rhino dealer.
Maybe.
Anyway, I'll probably go as high as $10k. And it doesn't have to be a Ford. GM is ok too.