Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > New Member Check-In
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-29-2014, 09:10 AM   #1

Full timer, first time diesel, looking for a Safari.

Good morning!

43 year old Offshore Paramedic here. Ive been trolling for months now, time to get my feet wet.

My first RV was a 1974 Revcon in the late 90s. I loved cruising up the gulf coast of Texas with my Dad in that funky but pristine unit. I really caught the bug. I love the simple life and cozy spaces. I parked it next to a really distressed 7,000 dollar house while I rebuilt it. I think I prefered the RV.

I have had an older class a, a 5th wheel, a prowler low boy, and have been living in a cavalier FEMA trailer since I divorced a year ago... and I hate it! I hate everything about its stupid layout. I have it on a little 3,000 dollar lot i bought across from my dad in Woodville texas, but I hate Woodville texas. I like visiting my dad as often as possible, but for a fairly young single guy there isnt much to do socially.

I have decided on a class A, most probably diesel. I fell in love with every safari motorhome I have looked at. I mean all of them, the Trek, the serengetti, the hi tech edition. I am not looking for a fancy new model. I have found several of the smaller ones with the isuzu motor for 10-12k and quite a few of the early 90's 36 footers for around 15k, one with all the maintenace records, washer, dryer, icemaker, disposal, and a dishwasher.

I love the floor plans. I love the tasteful design, I love the way the coach looks. the dark brown or silver and black just calls out to me. But I am having a hard time deciding which model to pick.

I was recently asked to become a supervisor at work. I still work on my same 150 man rig for 3 weeks on and 3 weeks off, but I have ended up working sometimes a lot during my scheduled off time. With a 24 footer getting 15mpg i can easily drive that to the heliport from home and park it next to all the big trucks for free while I am out for 3 weeks. When I land I can have all the comforts of home right away. Fire up the genny, drink a beer, make a samich and take a nap. Or go visit with my Dad and hook up for free at his place.

I am single with no kids, but I like to tinker a lot. I am not sure if the trek will accomodate my extra stuff? For 5k more i can get a 36 footer with almost as good gas mileage and lots of other goodies. I would need to find a RV park in southern Louisisna with a dry storage lot and catch a ride to the heliport.

Im Torn... My dad says I need to just buy both and get rid of my car completely. Use the trek as a big van for the 250$ a year auto insurance.

If anyone has any advice, or leads on a safari... id love to hear about it.

Is anyone else here as crazy in love with the look of the safari as I am?

The only other RV i find appealing is an American Eagle, probably too much to bite off on my budget.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-29-2014, 09:29 AM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
rigmedic,

Look at PPL motorhomes sales. Do a search of "used motorhomes" and it will come up. Look under class A and there are several of both there. Good luck, I think the trek is great but it does have space limitations. Just need to figure out what works for you best.

beamisl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2014, 09:34 AM   #3
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Welcome to IRV2! We're really glad you joined the crew here!

Hope you find the right MH for your needs. I don't know anything about the Safari so can't be of any help there.

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2014, 10:27 AM   #4

Thor Owners Club

Good luck with your search and choice.....

Safe and Happy Travels.
Old 11-29-2014, 11:03 AM   #5

As a matter of fact I am going to PPL Motors when I get back on land. Houston is just a little over an hour away. I plan on trying out all the safari models and see what feels right.

I would even consider buying frum them, but I wont pay a dime over NADA. There are two many well kept RVs from private sellers out there.

Heck I lived in and drove a 1974 revcon RV for 2 years and its still in use by a family friend now.

I just found a 2001 safari cheetah with 2 slides and 58k miles for 25k.

I think i need to find a Trek on the cheap as a toy regardless if I use it as my primary RV. My Dad has offered to help out by driving it on short trips while im away. Awful thoughtful of dear old Dad... lol
Old 11-29-2014, 05:42 PM   #6

Almost bought a Trek but the GM Hummer H1 engine turned me off on them. Watch out for the short ones, I read they drive squirrelly because of that. Love the Sahara models, great floor plans. Always some for sale, take your time and buy when you find the one you want...
Old 11-29-2014, 08:49 PM   #7
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner

Would a trailer for your extra stuff work?
See My RV Upgrades
JohnRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2014, 07:06 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Try safarirvsource.com

2009 Safari Cheetah 42 tag
2009 Honda CRV
Old 11-30-2014, 07:39 AM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Welcome aboard.....

Chiefbvfd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2014, 10:11 AM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
We just bought a 1996 Safari Sahara after looking for about 6 months. There seemed to be a few in your area of the country. Like you, we like the layout and the amount of room without going to a slider. The CAT engine with the Allison transmission is a great combination.
Old 12-01-2014, 03:26 PM   #11

I have pretty much settled on a 24' Trek with the isuzu diesel motor.

Using regular perking spots and getting better gas mileage that most of the truck owners I work with feels like a plus.

I can see myself solving a lot of problems by having all my stuff right there at the heliport when I get off the chopper.

I have used ebay, craigslist, rv trader, ans rv online to find a few leads. i feel like I am on a SAFARI, hutnting down a SAFARI... lol

It feels like i am looking for a Revcon motorhome all over again ( google it, they are airstream awesome ).
Old 12-01-2014, 11:33 PM   #12

If you are set on a Trek check out Trek Tracks group. They have a great Forum I used when I almost got a Trek...

http://www.nwtfc.com/forum/login.asp...et=default.asp
Old 12-02-2014, 05:24 AM   #13

Country Coach Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Welcome and glad to meet you!
FMCA #F431170, GS #822128658, Escapees SKP #112655
2012 Airstream Mercedes Interstate Class B
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Medico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2014, 07:41 AM   #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
RigMedic,

When you get that rig please post a picture. I hope you have a great time in your rig, I intend to when I get mine.

beamisl is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
diesel, full time