Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > New Member Check-In
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-28-2015, 09:03 AM   #1

Genset repair, is it worth it?

Seems like I need a new controller for my onan hdkaj genset. It only has 420 hrs on it... $2500 canadian just for the part. Warranty is only 1 year. Has anyone replaced theirs and racked up a few thousand hours? I am hesitant to spend that kind of money only to have it fail again after 400 hrs.
Has anyone heard of a replacement controller that is not as delicate? I do not care about the " smart " technology . Perhaps some company has made a simple reliable controller,...
Oldbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-28-2015, 09:19 AM   #2

Oldbear,
I don't think those controllers go out that often, unless you've seen or heard otherwise.
Unless the genset was just a worn out (POS) I would fix it and keep on trucking.

420 is nothing as far as time on these gensets, you should expect something in the thousand hour range before you may need to replace or rebuild it.
Dtwallace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2015, 10:24 AM   #3

The inverter board crapped out on my quite diesel 6kw onan. I'm assuming that's what is wrong with yours. I did some searching around and midsouth cummins in birmingham alabama had best price. It was little over $1500 for the part. I did the work of installing it myself but be warned the genset has to be mostly disassembled to install the inverter board.
Jake74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2015, 10:40 AM   #4

Thor Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
I priced a replacement Onan 4000 at around 5K at a local dealer. That doesn't include labor. I also had the 500 hour service done recently on my Onan 4000 (it has close to 800 hours on it) at a local Cummins Service Center. That was about $700. These devices are not cheap to maintain or replace.
Old 06-28-2015, 10:45 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldbear View Post
Seems like I need a new controller for my onan hdkaj genset. It only has 420 hrs on it... $2500 canadian just for the part. Warranty is only 1 year. Has anyone replaced theirs and racked up a few thousand hours? I am hesitant to spend that kind of money only to have it fail again after 400 hrs.
Has anyone heard of a replacement controller that is not as delicate? I do not care about the " smart " technology . Perhaps some company has made a simple reliable controller,...
Onan is one of the best RV generators on the market but like any electronic component, it is subject to failure. If you were to use your generator continuously, it would last for many thousand hours. The biggest reason these things fail in RV service is the sporadic operation.

But, here's a tip when you get it back into service.
Unless you are doing Emergency Open Heart Surgery, Don't have any large loads turned on (AC, Microwave Etc) when you start the generator. Give it a moment to stabilize after the transfer switch kicks in before you turn on the big loads.
Once it is up and operating it will handle load changes very well but it's these initial surges at start that are hard on the electronics.
Old 06-28-2015, 10:52 AM   #6

This place 300-2784 Onan ® Generator Control Panel Circuit Board Repair and Parts states they repair controllers for your gen. Even has a 2 yr warranty. It might be a rock to look under.

I started out with nothing and I still have most of it left
powderman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2015, 10:54 AM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Coastal Campers
We replaced our controller for $1800 (American of course) while in Florida. It is the same as yours an HDKAJ 7500 Quiet Diesel. We did the work ourselves and saved a bunch but it is not an easy job.

They are somewhere in the $8000+ (US) range for a complete new unit so I would say absolutely it is worth repairing.
HD4Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2015, 10:56 AM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by powderman View Post
This place 300-2784 Onan ® Generator Control Panel Circuit Board Repair and Parts states they repair controllers for your gen. Even has a 2 yr warranty. It might be a rock to look under.
Wow, you snuck that in while I was still typing. Sure wish I had known about that a couple of years ago when ours went.

Bookmarking link, thanks.
HD4Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2015, 07:08 PM   #9
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Welcome to IRV2! We're sure glad you joined us!

Couldn't live without our genny!

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2015, 05:07 AM   #10

Country Coach Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Welcome, glad to meet you!
FMCA #F431170, GS #822128658, Escapees SKP #112655
2012 Airstream Mercedes Interstate Class B
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Medico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2015, 07:13 AM   #11