Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > New Member Check-In
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-05-2016, 01:59 PM   #1

Going full time

Hi.
Thank you for allowing us to join your community.
I am Steve, along with my wife Des. We're both in our mid 50s.
We have 3 kids each in college age.
We live about 75 miles North of Atlanta Georgia.

We are gong RV full time in a couple years.
We currently live in a big +2300sq ft house which has become difficult to manage. County taxes have risen from $1200 to over $3000, mortgage is +1200/mo, +$300 light bill, +120 city water and trash bill despite all efforts to conserve.
The house is WAY too big for the two of us... which will be impossible for us to retire in.

We're tired of always seeing our acquired but unused STUFF everywhere and am actively selling most of it off through Craigslist and flea markets. My goal is to reduce by at least 90%. Funny how stuff can become a burden.

We own a nice plot of undeveloped land in the North Georgia mountains. Our plan is to sell the house and move in a fiver full time within a couple years. To go out of town a few times a month.
Eventually retire in about 6 years and hit the road, see what we can see until we can't travel anymore then build a small cabin on our land and settle in.

The Mrs. and I have a decent retirement saved up, plus a small pension and eventually supplemented by SS so we believe this is quite doable.

We decided this about 3 months ago and been spending most of my time researching the subject. Learning about fivers, tow vehicles, weight ratings and calculations, the technical aspects of it. Following FT RV blogs, YouTube searches.... the works.

We've already bought a F350 6.7 diesel lariat, 8ft bed with 5th wheel and tow packages.
We drive it 20-30 miles a week around town on the weekends but we are basically saving it for our future home.
We both want to dump the big house and get on with our plans but realistically it looks to be a couple years off due to the economy and other factors. That will also give us plenty of time to discover and learn what we need.

She wants a huge +42ft behemoth monster but I want to keep it 30-35ft for safety and towing comfort. Which means we'll end up somewhere in between.
We both want to buy a new home, not used for various reasons.

So... Thanks for reading. I look forward to browsing through the conversations here, picking up what I can learn. Also participating where appropriate.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-05-2016, 02:36 PM   #2

If it's doable for you, plan on a January getaway to Tampa for the big RV Super Show. You can see and compare virtually every 5er on the market. This will take a minimum of 2 days. Also wander around the grounds of the on site rally & look for 5th wheels and perhaps engage some owners in conversation.

Steve Ownby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2016, 02:44 PM   #3

Happy wife = Happy life. Guess you will be getting a 42'er. Really the more space the better if your going full time.
Old 10-05-2016, 03:03 PM   #4

p.s. Enjoy the behemoth!
okcnewbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2016, 03:09 PM   #5

but is a F350 enough for 42' loaded?? i am just asking as i dunno
Old 10-05-2016, 03:52 PM   #6
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Hi Steve! Welcome to IRV2! We're sure glad you joined the gang!

Hope you find the perfect rig for your needs and the fulltiming works out!

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2016, 05:46 AM   #7

Thanks all for the warm welcome.
Yup. Without boring everyone with calculations, if I put 500lbs of people, fuel & stuff in the truck it will leave about 15600lbs of 5th wheel GVWR before overload.
That's the main reason I want to keep it shorter.

We went to the Atlanta RV show last weekend and had a lot of fun.
The Mrs. and I have visited just about every dealer lot in our area to both view their stock and get an opinion about dealers.

Wow there's a lot of slimy snake oil salesmen out there! One even wanted me to apply for insurance on one of his rigs so the dealer would pay him for his time. A different one tried to push us into a new class A costing $240,000! Most others try to tackle on hundreds of $ in dealer fees.

We found one dealer who seems more "honest" than the others.
Except he keeps telling me my F350 can pull anything on his lot. Well that may be true but it won't stop anything on his lot if it were going down a steep grade. But at least he doesn't add on extra junk dealer fees.

So much to learn...Having fun in the process.
Thanks again.
Old 10-10-2016, 05:24 PM   #8

We are in our late 50's and just retired/went full time in May. We started planning for it about 15 years ago, and then did it in stages. We sold our house 3 years ago, downsized and moved into a rental townhouse (our son was still home). Now son is getting his own apt. but we decided to go in on the lease with him for address/mail purposes and so that we have a place to hang our hat for a few days if the need arises (hubbys parents are still living, but not doing well). In the next week we will have moved out of our townhouse and dwindled our HH goods down to 2 twin beds (in case we stay over at the apt), a sewing machine and some fishing equipment that can't get cold. We also rented a small storage unit near our summer campground to store our boat, and some of my children's junk which they don't have room for-yet (a huge christmas village and mementos from their childhood). It really took a long time for us to plan this, but some people just up and do it. We love the lifestyle though, as we always knew we would, but next year we will be upgrading our 27' motorhome to a 40 ish foot 5th wheel. There is such a thing as too much togetherness

swedeswan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
full time