Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > New Member Check-In
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 10-01-2011, 01:31 PM   #1
Red face Goodday from Washington State

Happy to find this site.
I live in my motorhome and am always in need of advice. Thanks for being here.
My question is in regards to alternative energy sources and the feasibility of installing a small woodstove for heating and cooking.
Anyone out there have any knowledge or experience in this area please enlighten or discourage me.

barbaura is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-01-2011, 01:52 PM   #2
Well unless you have a park model trailer I would never do something like that to an RV. You are asking for trouble. Check out the forum on alternative heating sources for RV's. I am also in WA and I put a small electric heater in my MH in the garage during the winter months. Try keeping the drapes closed and have a small heater on about 68 and wear slippers and sweatshirt. It should keep in comfortable. I use my MH while in storage as my mancave to watch football and not disturb the family.

Good Luck

2017 Grand Design Reflection 303 RLS
1997 GMC Sierra 3500 Dually
Go Dawgs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2011, 02:37 PM   #3
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Hi Barbaura, and welcome to IRV2! Don't own a MH so can't help on your questions, but I bet some others will help. Good luck & God bless!
Joe & Annette

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2011, 02:56 PM   #4
Vintage RV Owners Club
Hello from a fellow Washingtonian!

It's possible to install a woodstove in an RV, provided you have the necessary clearances available....
RV's and other Mobile Homes, by virtue of their construction, are less well-ventilated than a stick-built structure. Using an ordinary woodstove can deplete the air supply in an RV/Mobile Home very quickly.
For that reason, the only kind of stove that's approved (or SAFE) for such an installation is one that has an outside combustion air supply method built in to it.
Such stoves carry a "Mobile Home Approved" label right on them.
Bear that in mind when you're looking around for a stove!

Good Luck!

Francesca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2011, 03:11 PM   #5
Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Glad you joined us and hope you will like the forum. Can't be of much help on your question though but I'm sure you'll get some help from someone that has a background on the topic. Be safe and Happy Motoring!!!
Steve & Sally / HiTee & Hudson Our Little Poms / Heidi & Houston Forever in our Hearts
04 NEWMAR MACA 3778 W22 / 05 PT Vert
Michigan (Summer) Florida (Winter)
Steve N Sal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 04:25 PM   #6
Hello! I have slept in a motorhome with a self built woodstoves many many nights...lol Yes you can do it,yes it can be safe and no you are not crazy for thinking it...years ago there was no such thing as propane and natural gas...people lived with woodstove in tiny cabins with little to no safety in mind...with the chimny's they have today,and the know how /comonsence, you can safetly put a wood burner in a MH or TT. A friend of mine has did it for 5 years while he built his acerage...doesn't owe a penny on it and it's worth 375,000 Canadian...He couldn't have done it if he didn't live in his TT to save money.
He built his out of a keg! lol With a hubcap for the door that fits on the same way it does on a wheel...haha!

Here is a pic of another buddy who is living in a very small trail 1971 and he has an approved woodstove or profetionally built stove in his.
It's pretty big but he has never has a problem with it and took all the procautions checking wall temps etc etc....

ROLLNSMOKE is offline   Reply With Quote