Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > New Member Check-In
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-19-2012, 02:41 PM   #15

This last post is a great idea,I would agree if you buy a used and try it for a year you will have a better chance to get one that you know what you like. The other thing is that you make a list of likes and dislikes,list the must haves and the like to have so when you shop you can decide to take advantage of a variety of offers on different units. We have one we have used for 7yrs towing 10 k per yr and 4 to 6 months each yr. your comfort and ease of use will be best served with the practical study. Jeffp trk and fiver.
jeffp is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-19-2012, 02:43 PM   #16

Mid Atlantic Campers
Forest River Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Welcome. Good luck with your search.
Old 09-20-2012, 12:09 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXiceman View Post
No such thing as too much truck......

Ken
Now I did see a Kenworth, with a Bowler 15' TT, mounted on a deck over the dual drivers, but I'm sure the guy was just foolin around.
Never have a camera when you need one.
Old 09-20-2012, 07:08 AM   #18
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
Buying a 4 to 5 year old gently used high end unit makes a lot more sense than a new one. You don't get hit with the big depreciation loss and all of the bugs ahave been worked out. Lots of nice used units on the market.

You can typically find a 4 year old unit for about 40% of the price of a new unit.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 11:24 PM   #19

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Tirney....we were there for a week. It was the Mazda Miata's 20th anniversary and Mazda sponsored a four day event that about 400 Miata's came to. We did a parade run from Grapevine to the Texas Motor Speedway with 365 Miata's in a row. The police there helped us by closing some intersections for the parade.
Toured all over your town and Dallas/Ft Worth area. Nice place.
Didn't do any wineries though.
Arch Hoagland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 05:41 PM   #20

Thor Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
We went shopping again today. I saw my first DRV Mobile Suite. Me likey! Also checked out some Heartland models (Landmark, Big Country and Bighorn) got our second look at Redwood too.
Tierney Dawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 08:14 PM   #21

I'll be paying close attention to your future posts. We have about 4 more years before we buy our full time 5er! I'm excited for you and can't wait to see where your research leads you! Happy hunting!
Old 09-22-2012, 05:10 AM   #22

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Howdy and welcome. I'm sure you'll get all the advice here that you need on making a decision. Or at least helping make it. Good Luck and hope all works out.
Steve N Sal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 05:28 PM   #23

Thor Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Talked to the sales guy again today, got some more questions answered. We are now leaning to the Redwood 36RL that was on the lot. It has the Parks and Full-time living package and lots of upgrades. It is generator prepped and has a water filtration system, only thing is Queen size bed. :( but with any luck we can negotiate the gen and King size bed. The warranty is better on this bad boy than the Bighorn we were looking at and the Bighorn did not have the auto leveling system. The Redwood also has the larger fridge and upgraded tires (see I've been listening to y'all) Soooooo......let me know if I've forgotten anything and pepper me with more questions and suggestions!
Old 12-30-2012, 06:21 PM   #24

Thor Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Wink

Finally, after a long search we purchased and took delivery of our Redwood 36RL on December 14, 2012. "The Beast" spent her first night in front of our house while we had a champagne toast and loaded her up with all the stuff I had been collecting for her. We then moved her to The Vineyards campground in Grapevine. We played house, lined drawers and generally lived in her for 12 days (that was a suggestion from a friend, to get familiar with her and work out any kinks before taking to the road). We were rained on, snowed on and iced on (typical Texas weather?) and all was well. The day after Christmas, with ice on her slides, we packed her up and headed to Hilltop Lakes, Texas to spend a long weekend with the in-laws. I have to say.... We are still in love with The Beast, she kept us warm and toasty and she took very good care of us. She is winterized (that was a job for us first timers,whew!), cleaned, restocked, and ready to go on her next adventure. We are thinking New Orleans, Lake Travis, New Braunfels area, or Jamaica Beach/Galveston in January. WHOOOO HOOOO!!
Old 01-13-2013, 06:09 AM   #25

Ford Super Duty Owner
Welcome to the forum, you'll learn a lot and have a few laughs along the way!