Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > New Member Check-In
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-18-2012, 09:21 PM   #1

Thor Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Smile Got the truck now to find the fifth wheel

We got our truck last weekend and I've started researching the tralior options in great detail. I must say my head is spinning and my notebook is full. I have acquired lots of information, tips and suggestions here so thought I would join in. I'm looking forward (with crossed eyes and writers cramp) to narrowing our choices and getting closer to the traveling lifestyle we have been dreaming about.
Tierney Dawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-18-2012, 09:26 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Howdy and welcome! Good luck with your search.
Old 09-18-2012, 10:09 PM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Hi, welcome to the forum. Best of luck with your search.
historyljc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 11:12 PM   #4

Hope you find the right, unit to fit your needs. I'm on my fith RV and I'm getting close ; but then I'm a slow learner.
Old 09-18-2012, 11:17 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
What kind of truck did you buy?

And by the way...you have one of the nicest RV parks in the country in your backyard. We spent a week there three years ago and loved it.
Arch Hoagland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 06:31 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
Welcome to iRV2. Check out the Texas Boomers and our schedule.

Now what kind of truck did you get, because that will limit the size camper that you can tow.

I hope you picked up on the number one rule of RV shopping....
#1. Never believe the RV or truck slaes person.

#2. RV and truck sales people lie.

have fun shopping and keep us psoted.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 08:20 AM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via AIM to Gadget63 Send a message via Yahoo to Gadget63
Hello there and welcome to the forums!!!
Old 09-19-2012, 09:06 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Welcome to the forum.

Take your time and watch your weights. Study so you will know more than your salesman. Don't be afraid to offer 25 percent below list price.

When you decide make sure you have a good acceptance checklist in hand and demand that you can check things out before signing the final papers including a drive check. I would recommend that you set up inspection days and final signing days as not the same day so you allow time for repairs. That way you can delay signing until everything is good to go. Al repairs before signing are made under Dealer Prep and are easier to approve by local managers than mfgr warranty items.

Remember once out the door they will treat everything as warranty. So try to get major problems solved before signing. The camper should be ready when it goes out the door. Once out the door they have to get repairs made after mfgr approval.
TST 507 w/ 10 Sensors
greystroke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 09:26 AM   #9

I think before you get all starry eyed over a specific trailer you need to load the truck up like your going camping and get to the scales. From this ready to camp weight you can do some simple math and end up with how much trailer weight you can actually tow. Then and only then should you start your trailer research. Because finding the perfect trailer and discovering it is 3000 pounds over your trucks towing capacity is a real let down.
Old 09-19-2012, 09:42 AM   #10

Thor Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Thanks everyone, I've got a list going of everyone's suggestions (esp the weight and the fiberglass vs rubber roof), keep 'em coming. Picking out the truck was a blue job and researching the trailer is a pink job. (blue jobs are hubby, pink jobs are me, haha). We purchased a Dodge Ram 3500 Desiel dually and hubby is having extra fuel tank/toolbox unit added tomorrow. The sales guys we talked to said 3/4 ton truck.....goes to show ya we didn't listen to sales guy!

Arch- I assume you are talking about the The Vineyards park. I heard it was great. Did you do any winery tours or visit downtown Grapevine? I love downtown! And for any future visitors .... Ck out the 2 festivals we have every year. Grapefest was last weekend (it show cases Texas wines and has live music and grape stomping). Main Street Days is in the spring. That was a shameless advertisement for my town, sorry.

Thanks again, everyone for the warm welcome.
Tierney Dawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 10:24 AM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Sounds like your blue job man did a great job.

After you load up your truck with tools, hitch etc, go to the truck scales and have your truck weighed.

Subtract the actual weight from the GVWR of the truck and that will give you weight available for trailer pin and additional truck baggage.

When you find your trailer take about 25 percent of the trailer GVWR and this will be the approx pin weight for the truck. Make sure the pin weight will not go over the truck allownce. (25 is just approx)

Take the truck weight from the scales and add it to the GVWR of the trailer. This value should be less than the CGWR(Combined Gross Weight Rating) of the Truck.

Good luck.
TST 507 w/ 10 Sensors
greystroke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 10:33 AM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
No such thing as too much truck......

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 11:01 AM   #13
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Welcome to IRV2! We're sure glad to have you join the group! Congrats on the new truck! Sure wish you were closer, I just put a 5er on the market today. We went to a Class A a few months ago. We pulled the 5er for 10 years and it's really hard to get rid of it now since we had so many good times in it. Good luck on your search! Have fun and God bless!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 02:27 PM   #14

Don't drive yourself crazy doing research trying to find the "perfect" rv, there is no such thing. Everyone has an opinion on what you should buy, you need to decide for yourself what is right for you. My 2 cents, buy a used one that looks liveable to you. You won't know what floorplan is good until you live in it. What you think may be perfect may not be. Buy a used one, live in it for a year, then you will know what you want. It's easy to trade one in and buy a new one, we've done it twice. Good luck!
missourijan is offline   Reply With Quote