Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > New Member Check-In
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-12-2015, 10:36 AM   #1

Greenhorn rookie RV enthusiast taking the plunge!

Hello friends... please forgive the long winded nature of this post, as I am grateful to be joining this site, and have already received warm welcomes... I have been asked to open up a bit and share. Please allow me to introduce myself...

My user name states "roadtriplove"! It's apropos, but i was trying to type in "roadtriplover" but ran out of characters! My name is Joey G, and I am a 42 year old (currently) single man who works full time in the deep south film industry. While originally from the Golden state, i somehow managed to find myself in the great southern state of Louisiana! You may wonder why a full time worker would want a nice luxury coach or fifth wheel if he worked all the time? Well, I have been giving much thought to the idea of "work-kamping". I move around a bit because of work, and have spent a fair amount of time in hotel rooms, and corporate apartments moving from one project to the next. When hiatus' occur, or there is holiday downtime, I really enjoy traveling, tailgating at Pro/College sporting events, watching NASCAR, and going to music festivals. Camping is something thats always been synonymous with "good times". And then one day, coming home from work, I spotted a really nice luxury coach towing a jeep, and it just dawned on me - "Joey, you could do this...and cover all those bases" So.... no more window shopping. Im ready to take the plunge. GULP!

As many of you know, it can feel overwhelming when trying to zero in on what one wants vs what one needs. Im 6'7 and about 275lbs. So, I need headroom. I like the luxury fifth wheels because of the space and headroom, especially the ones by New Horizons... but Im leaning towards a tag axle diesel pusher (DP). I need one big enough for a sasquatch like me to move around in... and who knows, i may fall in love again. Need space/amenities for Mrs Sasquatch too I need to be able to use a bathroom that is bigger than a closet....etc. I really like the Entegra Coach brand...seems like you get a pretty incredible value and great factory folks. So... I need to get some time off soon and go visit their HQ up in Indiana for a factory tour and some face time with the experts. Not sure how much customizing can be done, but, I really don't have extreme needs. Im a basic fellow, just a BIG basic fellow. I want a coach that will last, hold some value over time, and keep life rolling along with lots of smiles and new adventures and what not. I don't want to wait until I'm all the way retired before experiencing this lifestyle. Im pretty much debt free, and beyond excited at the chance to join you fine folks in the RV world. I really enjoy reading the stories and experiences you all have to share. I wonder what Im about to get myself into lolol.

I have so much to learn! So many questions! So many things I want to do and see! I almost get so flustered I don't know where to begin! I'll start with some basics...

Which of Entegra's competitor's should I also consider for fair/accurate comparisons? Which factories are also worth visiting?

I would be so grateful at any feedback... from owners of all brands. Im just starting out here... been saving up, and I'm ready to pull the trigger in the next few months. Im told that waiting to make a deal in winter is best?

Thank you all for your time.

One love,

Joey G, Dizzy and Rose
Total rookie
Future Entegra owner? - unknown Toad! 07 Harley FLHRS Road King (got the bike covered)
roadtriplove is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-12-2015, 10:57 AM   #2

Sounds like your done some searching already, and your height will be an issue in a number of RVs. DW's grandkids are all in your height range, ( 15 year old grand-daughter is 6'3" and growing )and buying clothes is bad enough , let alone finding a comfortable bed.

Good Luck in your search, Newmar & Tiffin also make great coaches.
Jan. & Feb are great times to shop for deals; but that could be regional.
Old 07-12-2015, 12:37 PM   #3

Wow Skip! Newmar certainly does! Im going to have to take a serious look... Thank you for your reply!
Old 07-12-2015, 12:58 PM   #4

Workhorse Chassis Owner
And, if you buy new, Newmar can/will help you with the design phase & incorporate your changes during the build process. That would be important considering your Rubeus Hagrid size.

Also, Newmar makes great coaches and backs them up with top-notch customer support.

Jim & Shirley & Abbie (Scottie)
2013 Newmar Canyon Star 3911
2005 Dodge Grand Caravan
2013 Newmar Canyon Star 3911, 2005 Dodge Grand Caravan - Braun Accessibility Modified Toad, Remco Lube Pump, 5 Star Tune, Progressive Industries EMS-HW50C, Coach Net Emergency Road Service, FMCA 378968
Jim T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2015, 05:31 PM   #5

Thanks, Jim! I just spent about an our looking at the London Aire model on the Newmar website... They have some pretty great floor plans... Have also been seeing some nice coaches on the american coach site. Zeroing in is proving a challenge!!! Been checking out some threads in various owner's forums... everyone makes a good case for why they picked their brand... it seems to boil down to personal preference and floor plan needs... as each brand has good chassis/power plant options, and great support staffs. Cmmmmmmmmmmmm lol This is not going to be easy. But it will be fun!
Old 07-12-2015, 05:37 PM   #6

Greenhorn rookie RV enthusiast taking the plunge!

When you take that trip to Indiana, you can visit Entegra, Newmar and American Coach as their respective production facilities are within a few miles of each other.

Newmar is well known for customization. I attended a presentation by Tim Sullivan who is the CEO of the patent company of American Coach. He indicated that custom orders would be no problem.

Steve Ownby
Full time since '07
Steve Ownby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2015, 09:37 PM   #7

Thank you, Steve! Indiana or bust!
Old 07-13-2015, 04:58 AM   #8

Country Coach Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Welcome, glad to meet you!
FMCA #F431170, GS #822128658, Escapees SKP #112655
2012 Airstream Mercedes Interstate Class B
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Medico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2015, 05:59 AM   #9

Welcome! Since you want to buy new, it may be a good idea to go to an RV Convention. All manufactures bring out their best and latest products. Find one, it might be worth the time.
I bought old so the first few owners took the depreciation. Your size almost makes you a custom build. Good luck with your search and I understand about the excited/scared stage, but it gets better. A rolling condo- perfect!
steamyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2015, 06:04 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by steamyb View Post
Welcome! Since you want to buy new, it may be a good idea to go to an RV Convention. All manufactures bring out their best and latest products. Find one, it might be worth the time.
I bought old so the first few owners took the depreciation. Your size almost makes you a custom build. Good luck with your search and I understand about the excited/scared stage, but it gets better. A rolling condo- perfect!

Very good point.

The big Hershey, PA show is in Sept I believe and the Tampa Super Show is mid January. There will be thousands of new coaches to see and drive. One or the other should be a requirement.

Steve Ownby
Full time since '07
Steve Ownby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2015, 07:03 AM   #11

Workhorse Chassis Owner
There's also the FMCA rally in Madison Wisconsin starting end of July. Several brands/dealers/factory reps will be there with coaches, including Newmar.

Jim & Shirley & Abbie (Scottie)
2013 Newmar Canyon Star 3911
2005 Dodge Grand Caravan
2013 Newmar Canyon Star 3911, 2005 Dodge Grand Caravan - Braun Accessibility Modified Toad, Remco Lube Pump, 5 Star Tune, Progressive Industries EMS-HW50C, Coach Net Emergency Road Service, FMCA 378968
Jim T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2015, 07:30 AM   #12
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Hi Joey! Welcome to IRV2! We're sure glad you joined us!

Hope you find the perfect rig for your needs!

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2015, 07:42 AM   #13

Good luck with your search ...

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
hal1phx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2015, 04:22 PM   #14

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
denlock is offline   Reply With Quote