Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > New Member Check-In
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 12-14-2010, 09:53 AM   #1
Smile Greetings!

And happy holidays as well.
New member to your forurms. Plan to retire in 10 years at 62 and hit the road on a RV. Just got rid of a 40 foot sailboat that I intended to do that on... but lets just say it didn't work out.
I have traveled all over the country with work as a RN, and plan to do that as well once my youngest is in collage, but the real reason I am here is to learn more about rv's.
I once towed a 27 foot boat weighing about 12000 lbs loaded from Washington state to Florida, in the middle of winter in a diesel ford excursion, and have towed a lot of uhaul trailers all over the country, but that is the extent of my knowledge. I have backpacked a lot of the east coast, and pacific north west in my younger days. These days finds me mostly working hard trying to put 2 kids thru school and general life stuff when you in your 50's.
I am looking for knowledge that I can build on over the years so that once we make the decision to do this, I have the information I need. Perhaps rent something once or twice as well over the next few years too.

To be honest I love the look of the airstreams but at 6'1", and currently living in a 3500 sq foot house, not sure I can fit in one, especially full time. And as I understand it they are not meant for that.
I would plan to travel with the seasons, criss crossing the country seeing as much as possible while living in some comfort. A class A motor home looks like it might be in our future but I of course have a million questions to be answered before then and hope communities like iRV2 can help me, and in return I can contribute as well.

Hope everyone has a safe and fun holiday season.
Bob F.

bobfnbw is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-14-2010, 04:49 PM   #2
Welcome, Bob F.,
Sounds like you're doing this the smart way. Many of us bought our first rig, then started asking questions and doing the reseach. That's a costly education!
Just start asking away. There are plenty here with lots of answers.
Lois M.

rosegramma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 05:28 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Lois is right on. You're sure doing this the right way. With your boating and driving experience you certainly won't have any trouble learning how to get around in whatever rig you decide on.

My advice is to post a lot of questions and read a lot of threads. The learning process is underway.

You'll find that RVers are a very diverse group but to travel a lot and full time, Class A coaches are probably favored by more folks than other options. We retired 5 years ago and have been full timing for the past 15 months. Loving it. We bought our 40 foot diesel coach new and it was our first RV of any kind. I drove it off the lot with a total of about 10 miles of experience during the test drive.

Diesel vs gas is another long debate and you can do a search of the forum and find a week's worth of reading material. My $.02 says if you're going to do a lot of travel (especially in the western mountains) and full time... diesel is the way to go if your budget supports it.

But, have fun doing your research and planning your future!

Rick, Nancy, Peanut & Lola our Westie Dogs & Bailey the Sheltie.

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 05:59 PM   #4

You are way ahead of the game in making your inquiries before purchase. And, as one who joined in here at irv2 about 1 1/2 years ago, I have to say that it is the most valuable rv website I have found so far as the constant flow of information and the level of expertise ranging from travel trailers to 5th wheels (5'ers) and motorhomes of every class. There are many discussions about choosing the right rv for your intended use and budget.

Learn to use the search function found just below the "powered by google" bar found above here. Type in some key words and you will find more information than you can absorb.

Subscribe to Motorhome and Trailer Life magazines. Join FMCA. They have a great monthly magazine. You can also view articles in their magazine at their website. Look at rveducation101.com, betterrving.com. There are great resources as well at rvcruzer.com, and there are many many others.

I cannot count the hundreds of hours I spent during my first year of RV ownership, and a few months before that ownership in searching and researching websites, reading articles, and a few books. I had never owned an RV of any type before. I am not a mechanically inclined guy although I get by pretty well, so I had a lot of catching up to do. The forums here have been well worth my time and I hope I have given some back as my own experiences have unfolded in the first 12,000 miles of traveling in our motorhome.

Good luck with your decisions. Get those kids educated and hit the road. The RV lifestyle means something different to everyone, but to us it has opened up a lifestyle that feels good and is fun. We are not retired yet either but are about 5 years closer to it than you and we spend our vacation time now doing a one week, 10 day, or 2 week trip in our motorhome instead of flying to some exotic place. We are seeing our country from a different perspective and it is invigorating.

I must say that the view through a huge motorhome front windshield is something I didn't expect would be as impressive and awe inspiring as it has been as we drive through some of the most beautiful scenery that is America!

See ya down the road.

2009 Newmar 42 ft. Allstar 4188, Wheelchair Accessible, 400HP Cummins ISL, Allison 3000, Mastertow Dolly, '98 Riviera
akadeadeye is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 02:36 PM   #5
Thank you all

For the responses. I felt the first time on this site that is was a great site as well. Very active with a lot of knowledgeable people willing to share their precious time and experience to others. That is a service to a community of like minded people, of which the internet has been such a fantastic thing to be able to deliver, but without the people who make it happen, would not be.

New comer her but not to forums of this type so, I will be reading a lot, using the search, and actually going thru the treads that interest me as well. Then I will be posting my questions, and since I don't have a specific model in mind yet (although I have a few choices so far ) I most will be general until time to really look and buy.

Also wanted to say that I "got smart" by being "dumb" with my boat. That thing was sure a hole in the water that I thru money into. Not sure a RV will be any different in that aspect but the BIG DIFFERENCE is that boats sink, RV''s hopefully don't. My boat sank at the slip, and getting the insurance to pay off was a 8-9 month nightmare that forever swore me off boats. So when the times comes to sail again, it will be with other peoples boats, not mine.
Hard lesson to learn, but learn I did!!

Again thanks for the great replies and look foreward over the years to learn from you kind people.

bobfnbw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 03:05 PM   #6
Bob, Welcome to the forum and I'll bet you jump into an RV before the 10 years are up. Anyway again, welcome and you have a nice x-mas as well....
John, Deb; & our dog, Benji, Forever in our hearts.
2014 Coachmen Leprechaun 319DS V-10
2011 Jeep Liberty Jet & 2014 Jeep Wrangler
John H... is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 06:28 PM   #7
Fleetwood Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
A big WELCOME from East Tn.
I know about the giant water hole. I traded from a 42' house boat to a 38' D/P. I can cover a lot of ground with out a worry about it SINKING. Enjoy the learning curve and don't be afraid to ask a lot of questions. I wish I'd known this group before-but then you don't get boating answers on an RV Forum(as a general rule).
Again Welcome...
JOE.. LEO(ret.)-active USCGAUX-
ck. our website:www.overmountainsams.com
skipwil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 10:02 AM   #8
National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Welcome from a couple fulltimers living the good life.
2001 National Tradewinds 7370 300 Cat
2011 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport
Officially fulltiming. The Journey Begins
Vegasdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 10:31 AM   #9
Newmar Owners Club
Bob Welcome Look into Rv Consumer RV guide known as the green book. I have used it for two of the rv that I previously owned Not sure of current cost,havent has a copy for a while. Have fun and nothing like doing you homework

ka6bud is offline   Reply With Quote