Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > New Member Check-In
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-11-2010, 09:43 AM   #1

Greetings All

I am a 63-year old widow who was bitten by the 'waunderlust bug' year's ago. When I returned from serving in the Peace Corps last January, I realized my last big 'dream' was to travel around the big country of ours to see places I had never been. To do this, I bought a 2004, 29' Minnie Winnie. I had never driven, slept, ate, anything RV before I signed the papers and jumped behind the wheel. It has been one really fun and exciting 'learning experience.'

I started a blog to keep my friends and family updated on where I was and what I was doing, Re's Home on the Roam and since then lots and lots of wonderful people have started reading and saying how much they enjoy it.

I spent my first summer on the road work/camping at a RV park just outside of Cody, WY and after traveling through and around a lot of the West, headed to FL to head up marketing & PR at one of the Top 10 rated parks in the US, where it's suppose to be warm during the winter - and we're all freezing!

I'm enjoying my life on the road and already antsy to 'wheels-up' and see what lives around the next bend in the road.
reanns is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-11-2010, 09:51 AM   #2

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Welcome Reanns, you found the right place here!

I am also a newbie to this world. I just got a TT July 2008. I, too, have been bitten and love it to death.

Sheila :)
PNWGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 10:43 AM   #3
Community Moderator

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
reanns;

Welcome to iRV2. We are glad you joined us. I admire your zest to travel this wonderful country of ours. Post often and don't be afraid to ask questions.

Don
Don & Bev Morgan Weyauwega WI, 05 Itasca Horizon 40KD, 400 HP Cummins, Adopted by a great couple, Toad 07 Saturn Vue AWD, Air Force One, TST 510 TPMS, Mayor of Weyauwega 2007 - 2013, Waupaca Co Board Supervisor 2010 - 2014
Petro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 11:17 AM   #4

Solo Rvers Club
Hi reanns - Welcome to iRV2! I can feel your energy clear out here in Oregon!
steelheadbluesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 02:23 PM   #5

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Hey Reanns,

One thing, which I have recently discovered about myself, is that I love a well written, honest, Blog. Yours, most definitely, falls under that heading and I have enjoyed sharing your adventures.

I also love your pictures of your rig (and the places you are visiting). I like seeing how it is morphing into your home. It is very inviting. You are making me very antsy to take out my TT right now but Spring is still a few months away :)

I have added your Blog to my Internet 'must read' list.

Thank you for sharing!

Old 01-11-2010, 11:35 PM   #6

Thanks for the welcome everyone. And I'm so glad you enjoyed reading my blog.

But what started as a great day with plans to head to Tampa tomorrow to attend the massive RV show and represent the resort where I have been work/camping ended with myself and 5 other work/campers being given notice that we were being let go - immediately - though we all had an understanding that we were employed until April 1st. We were given 2 days to move out - and of course, no severance of any kind. I am left with no 'home base', no job and very little cash. FL RV parks are packed soild, no one is hiring workcampers at this late date, and my only option is to drive up to my son's in Raleigh, put Winnie in storage and move into his house for a few months. I do have a summer work/camp job lined up in OR (Gold Beach) but that doesn't begin until May 1st. This is the #2 rated RV park in the US, nightly rates are as high as they go (no discounts for anything), even have to pay for cable & wifi, owner lives in CA and this is his 'little hobby'. He hired 25 workcampers for the winter season and as we all just learned, he now starts laying them off. I'm not desperate, but I'm really mad! I ran my own reputable business for 25 years and there is no way I would have treated an employee like he has treated us. But I guess he figures we're just work/campers and therefore have no rights or recourse. If anyone knows of any openings on the east coast for the next couple of months, sure would appreciate hearing about it. Thanks for letting me vent.

ReAnn
reanns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 05:16 AM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
reanns:

Give Sun Lake RV Resort, here in Ruskin, FL (I-75, Exit 240) a call and talk w. Chester the owner. (Note: Chester sounds gruff so don't be put off, but he's a gem!!) Check on rates (VERY good in our opinion). Simple, very clean little park, great location (good spot from which to visit RV Supershow just up the highway). Might get ya through till ya head toward Gold Beach for your May job. Compare cost for staying at Sun Lake w. expenses for storage up in the Raleigh area.....might make sense. Steve & Lynette
Old 01-12-2010, 12:02 PM   #8

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by reanns View Post

But what started as a great day with plans to head to Tampa tomorrow to attend the massive RV show and represent the resort where I have been work/camping ended with myself and 5 other work/campers being given notice that we were being let go - immediately - though we all had an understanding that we were employed until April 1st. ... Thanks for letting me vent.

ReAnn
I am so sorry ReAnn, especially since you just had that happen to you in WY!! I have to admit to being surprised since, for FL, it's in the height of the Snowbird season and park is full there (you seemed so excited to go to that big RV show).

Maybe that is just it. He wants the spaces freed up for customers and figures to make the workers remaining pull double duty. Some people can never make enough money and they could care less with what is right.

God looked out for you last time and you found that unexpect job with that small RV park needing you to help them with their computer system. You never know.

I am a silver-lining, glass half full person. Every challenge will, eventually, lead to something better and sometimes- completely unexpected.

Old 01-12-2010, 06:14 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
Welcome to iRV2. You have any questions, just ask.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 06:36 PM   #10

Ford Super Duty Owner
Welcome to iRV2 reanns, sorry for the layoff but as Sheila says most times it leads to a better venue or experience You'll do OK don't worry about it.
Was reading a little of your Blog last night, and what I read I found to be very interesting and well written. Then the sand man was calling so it was off to bed for a beauty sleep, Lord knows I need it, but it doesn't seem to be working though

Cheers
Willey
WilleyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 11:43 AM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Carolina Campers
Reans,

Welcome to IRV2 website, you will find a great bunch of people here and they will help you with any question you have. They are also problem solvers so that if one can't solve your problem collectively someone will.

Also you are welcome to chat with IRV2 Chatters in our chat room every night after 9PM EST. On Tues nights there is usually a Winnebago Chat which you might be interested in.

I don't know much about Work Kamping but what that camper owner did is uncalled for and he should be taken to task. You might try Work Camper paper and see if there are any other places near by. If not the moving in with your family sounds like a great idea and maybe you don't have to put your RV in storage and stay in it in his driveway.

Anyway welcome again and enjoy IRV2 website..
Tom-NC is offline   Reply With Quote