Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > New Member Check-In
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-05-2012, 09:28 AM   #1

Greetings from NJ

I came across iRV2 not through an internet search or link but through the app for the ipad. Needless to say I have used this site extensively for research purposes prior to the acquisition of a class C my wife and I purchased and will be taking delivery of this Thursday. For the record, its a 2006 Winnebago Aspect 29h.

I am a survivor of many road trips during the early to mid 80s (passenger car and a Chrysler Voyager - cross country, many to El Paso, TX) with my parents and family members from age 12-16. I credit those trips for my love of long distance driving.

Life then took hold, college, family, career and those trips became fond memories, discussed with friends and family over beer.

For many years, other than one trip, travel was for work and provide for a family. Many years and a few life changing events later, along with some financial security road travel was for getting to race tracks to race sports cars. As much fun as the wheel to wheel racing is, its slowly becoming time to shift gears and look at other things to do with more family involvement.

As I get older and watch my kids (3) grow up,the desire to relive the trips of my youth has become very strong and hope that the teenagers (17 and 19) will be up to an adventure. My 8 year old is ready to roll. This desire also is dovetailed by my late fathers inability to own an RV. He wanted one upon retirement but illness took him before he could live his dream. I plan to fulfill his dream.

I am a creature of habit when it comes to vehicles and race car prep taught me a lot about them. In preparation for a partial cross country jaunt next year
followed by full cross country adventure the year after, my wife and I are starting small. We have planned a few shake down cruises (2, 4, 6, 8 hours long) this summer to get feel for the rig (if necessary modify, fix, replace anything that presents an reliability issue) and develop lifestyle adjustment strategies for the road. I am in charge all mechanical aspects of the rig. She is in charge of comforts, food, entertainment (however movie choices will be shared, LoL) and organization.

We are excited and cant wait to start.
Tiato is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-05-2012, 10:05 AM   #2

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Welcome to IRV2. I think you will find the membership very helpful. Also from NJ, Mickleton
George Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 06:31 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Hi Tiato, welcome to IRV2. There is nothing like camping with family. There is usually something for everyone to enjoy and the memories will be priceless. Enjoy and safe travels.
bsirby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 06:40 PM   #4

Freightliner Owners Club
Tiato,

We're just north of you right off of Rt. 78. My youngest is 17 so I've traveled with teens for a few years so let me know if you need any suggestions for cool travel locations. We've been to all 48 continental states so we can give you a good sampling near and far!

There are a few of us iRV2 folks in the area so let us know if you need anything at all. We have knowledge, tools and a 46x62 heated Morton building to work in.

Welcome to iRV2!!
RVing for 20 years & 200,000+ miles
RVThere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 08:41 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Howdy and welcome! Enjoy the Winnie.
Old 06-06-2012, 09:40 AM   #6

Thank you all for the warm welcome.

George Z - will definately look into it. Thank you.

RVthere, thank you for your generous offer. Figure your'e about 30 mins. from me.

Tomorrow is the big day and it figures that time is crawling now.
Tiato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 09:57 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Welcome it sounds like you will be continuing the great memories you already have! Everyone here is so wonderful and helpful so enjoy! Can’t wait to see where your adventures lead you.
Sohapi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 10:04 AM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by RVThere View Post
Tiato,

We're just north of you right off of Rt. 78. My youngest is 17 so I've traveled with teens for a few years so let me know if you need any suggestions for cool travel locations. We've been to all 48 continental states so we can give you a good sampling near and far!

There are a few of us iRV2 folks in the area so let us know if you need anything at all. We have knowledge, tools and a 46x62 heated Morton building to work in.

Welcome to iRV2!!
Now that's a warm welcome. Good luck and safe and trouble free travels. Welcome to the forums.
US Navy Vet.
Bruce C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 10:17 AM   #9

Thor Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
Welcome from Bridgewater, NJ. My wife and I have tried most of the local spots so feel free to ask for an opinion before you book.
DGShaffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 11:27 AM   #10

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Welcome

Tiato Welcome! You and your family have chosen a great vacation strategy. I have convinenced many friends and co-workers of the joy of RVing. Some can't wait for me to return from vacations to hear the stories. We have been camping since 1991 when we purchased a 6 man tent, coleman 2 burner stove, coleman gas lantern and a screen room. Within the first halfhour of our first tenting experience we decided we wanted a pop up tent trailer! 3 years of Pop up trips and we decided we wanted a Motorhome, now on our 3rd Motorhome. Our Motorhome has been used for everything including camping. We have been chaperone's for Marching Band trips, we have used it for "Relay for Life" overnight refuage and it even was used as a Bank vault for our local HS Field Band Pagent 7 years in a row! (we were warm, well fed, comfortable and the security team liked the seating arrangements)! It even becomes an extra bedroom when we have family reunions! Good luck your kids no matter what age will create fond memories!
2008 Bounder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 10:02 PM   #11

National RV Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Hello and welcome to iRV2.
ghoststories is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 01:45 PM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Hi and
sdennislee is offline   Reply With Quote