Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > New Member Check-In
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-22-2013, 01:17 AM   #1

Greetings from ON, Researching & Planning Phase

Hello and Thanks,

My primary residence is in Ontario. I have travelled the highways and bi-ways of Canada & the United States. From California in the Southwest to Quebec in the Northeast. I have vacationed in the Caribbean, Asia-South Pacific and have made Hawaii. I would like to do the Alcan Trail in a few years when I get an RV, and do the maritimes. I would like to do Zion/Bryce Canyon/Arches National Parks in the next couple of years. Future plans also include touring all MLB fields & NHL arenas, going to the NASCAR garages I enjoy everything from the Museum of Science and Industry in Chicago to the Henry Ford in Dearborn to antiques in Volo. I enjoy the beauty of the Poconos mountains (even if I burnt the brakes on a vintage Chevy), to going to Disney parks on two continents. In short i'm in need of trading in the hotel room and tent for a Motorhome when the budget allows.

My interests and hobbies are diverse and eclectic. Some of which seem to be common in the camping community (such as spending too many hours polishing the toys) others will come in 3 decades when I retire and have more time (aspiring ham).

I am a long time lurker, but figure I should introduce myself now and will probably not be an active poster for a couple more years. At this time my "absolute" dream would be an Entegra Cornerstone (I love other big dollar rigs, but find myself thinking would a Prevost or King Aire bring me more smiles?) Probably would once I "move up" in the world. Realistically i'm looking at something like a Freelander 28QB, Ace 30.1, FR3, or Pursuit 31BDP. This way we can have some space. I'm also considering used however am looking at modifying to feel new (Where do I put the 90" Sharp LED HDTV?! to replace that 13" tube!) If budget allowed a Fred like a Serrano or an entry DP like the Allegro Breeze 32 would be so tempting. I think that would be about as large as I could go with just a "Z" air brake endorsement. After that for a Palazzo or Sport Coach CrossCountry I'd need to get a D licence. Which may be the plan later in life.

Yes i've already researched and put multiple scenarios in my head and on paper. The problem of course is at my stage of the game the budget doesn't quite allow what I want. I don't think i'd be happy with a 15 or 20 year old coach and don't want to sour myself to RVing. So far i've planned a budget doing some rough pricing of RV's (Expect an average of 25% off), and required chattels/toys/goods for our enjoyment. I've priced a few level of items to give a rough idea of where I stand, down to pricing the Corelle and patio mats. Rest assured i'm not anal enough to budget down to the toothbrush though.

My current daily driver is a '13 Flex. This could tow a small hybrid trailer if I decide to switch from cabins/hotel trips earlier. It can also be flat-towed which would probably be a plus. My only concern is that most rigs I'll probably end up with may struggle to pull a toad that large. Maybe I shouldn't have opted for the Vista roof to save weight huh?

Anyways look forward to joining the community in a couple of years when i'm actively involved in the RV lifestyle. Then I can point to this post to say, "See I really was researching!"

- OrangeTrillium
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-22-2013, 04:45 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
from NH.
US Navy Vet.
Bruce C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 04:58 AM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Welcome aboard. Stick to your goals and I'm sure you'll achieve your dream.
Steve N Sal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 07:21 AM   #4

Welcome...Sounds like you have started researching early, thats always good.
Old 09-22-2013, 09:03 AM   #5

Country Coach Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Welcome and glad to meet you!
FMCA #F431170, GS #822128658, Escapees SKP #112655
2012 Airstream Mercedes Interstate Class B
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Medico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 10:24 AM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
If you want a great NASCAR museum visit the "official" NASCAR museum in Charlotte N.C.
2007 Jeep Wrangler
codgerbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 12:28 PM   #7
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
See My Pace Arrow Upgrades
JohnRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 01:27 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
welcome
Old 09-22-2013, 01:43 PM   #9

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Bruce Dickson 2013 Thor Challenger 37GT, 5 Star Tune, Safe-T-Plus Steering Control with Air Trim, Roadmaster front and rear Sway Bars, SuperSteer rear Track Bar, Crossfires, 2018 Honda CRV . Full timers since Jan 2012.
bdickson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 05:14 PM   #10
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Welcome to IRV2! It's great to have you join the gang!

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 04:06 AM   #11

Thank-you for the welcome. RVer's seem to be a friendly bunch. Just tolerate us youngin's with lots of questions. We're not all loud, nor do we all raise heathens! After having a less then pleasurable big ticket purchase I tend to be more cautious now. I also know that the rig is just a small part of the purchase. I'm sure I'll get to the official museum in my travels. I also promise to not attempt to drive my rig like a Nascar driver when I get it. (Or at least I'll try). I also don't want to ruin my experience buy purchasing something that will sour my take on camping. Maybe I'll buy used and start sooner, but if I buy the right rig the first time I'll have to worry about those camps with hard fast 10-yr old rules won't I?