Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > New Member Check-In
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-06-2010, 11:19 PM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
Send a message via MSN to hwyd Send a message via Yahoo to hwyd Send a message via Skype™ to hwyd
Talking Greetings From Oregon

Warm, but wet greetings from Oregon. My name is Daniel. My wife, youngest daughter and I full time in a 2001 29' Fleetwood Jamboree. After fighting with homelessness and landlords and all, we decided that this was the best choice for us. We have been full timing Since Oct. of 2009 and loving it. Our homebase is located in the Willamette Valley (Go Ducks!). So far our travels are limited to Oregon, Washington and California, while my wife and I work on our degrees and until we have our daughter setup for home schooling, then we plan on starting to travel around the U.S., Canada and possibly Mexico. My wife and I are working towards computer/web programming degrees, which we should have completed in about a year and a half. We thought, it might be one of the better choices for income while on the road, since it's a pretty good mobile job. I have been learning as much as I can about RVs, so I can do my own repairs and modifications on our motorhome and help others as well. I hope to learn more, as well as share my knowledge with others along my rv-ing journey.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-07-2010, 08:11 AM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
hi Daniel
and welcome

we are peter & larry
from vancouver, bc

love the oregon coast - and get there twice per year!

pdq_bc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 10:02 AM   #3

Ronnie Bledsoe 2006 Dutchstar 43''s Avatar

Welcome, enjoy the valley...go Beavers!
Ronnie Bledsoe 2006 Dutchstar 43' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 11:15 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Monaco Owners Club
Excel Owners Club
Wink Civil War!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronnie Bledsoe 2006 Dutchstar 43' View Post
Welcome, enjoy the valley...go Beavers!
LOL... Good One Ronnie! Anyone familiar with Oregon knows this sounds like the start of "The Civil War"!!

Back on topic..Welcome to the forum and good luck with your ambitions.
MonacoMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 12:07 PM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
Send a message via MSN to hwyd Send a message via Yahoo to hwyd Send a message via Skype™ to hwyd
Talking RE: Greetings From Oregon

OT: Don't worry I like the beavers too. I love watching both games when I can. During Civil War Game Time, I also loom knit scarves, hats and other items in the Duck and Beaver colors to sell, good way to help with propane and electricity costs during colder weather. But I do admit, civil war time, I do cheer on the Ducks.

Back on topic, Thank you for the welcome to the forum and community everyone. This site seems like a great place for information and new friends in the RV community.
Old 11-08-2010, 11:35 AM   #6

How about them DUCKS! Dear Daniel, Nice to meet you and your family. We've been RVing as a family for almost 20 years. We homeschooled our 2 sons til they were middle/high school age. One is at UofO right now, in his senior year. Hubby and I will be heading south real soon. But, let me know how old your daughter is and I can maybe share some school stuff with you. I've sold some on eBay, but, if I have something you can use, I'll ship it to you gratis. Take care
Old 11-08-2010, 05:25 PM   #7

Vintage RV Owners Club
Send a message via ICQ to RedneckExpress Send a message via AIM to RedneckExpress Send a message via MSN to RedneckExpress Send a message via Yahoo to RedneckExpress
Welcome to club Fellow Oregon full-timer, and software engineer. You're a brave soul to try and jump into a flooded market, there's plenty of us Web gurus left over from the big 2000 crash when the internet economy bubble burst.

You may want to diversify into Systems Administration, Database Server management, Systems Repair, and basically just about anything you can find in the class availability, these days you almost have to be a jack of all trades to turn a buck in this field. Don't forget to train in the following programming languages: PHP, Python, Perl, Cold Fusion, C#.NET, VB.NET, ASP/ASP.NET, J++, Javascript, Java, Delphi. You'll likely touch on them all at any given time if you wind up doing upgrade or repair work to older web apps that company's have.

Learning the following database systems is a must: MySQL, MSSQL, Oracle, (there's a couple other names but I can't recall them at the moment).

Familiarize yourself with all flavors Linux, and Windows Server.
'06 Heartland Bighorn 3400RL Fifth wheel
Follow along with me in the The Journey of
RedneckExpress is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 08:21 PM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trivian View Post
How about them DUCKS! Dear Daniel, Nice to meet you and your family. We've been RVing as a family for almost 20 years. We homeschooled our 2 sons til they were middle/high school age. One is at UofO right now, in his senior year. Hubby and I will be heading south real soon. But, let me know how old your daughter is and I can maybe share some school stuff with you. I've sold some on eBay, but, if I have something you can use, I'll ship it to you gratis. Take care
She is 12 and in the 7th grade. That would be very nice. Would help out a lot. Thank you

Daniel/Vick
Old 11-08-2010, 08:29 PM   #9

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedneckExpress View Post
Welcome to club Fellow Oregon full-timer, and software engineer. You're a brave soul to try and jump into a flooded market, there's plenty of us Web gurus left over from the big 2000 crash when the internet economy bubble burst.

You may want to diversify into Systems Administration, Database Server management, Systems Repair, and basically just about anything you can find in the class availability, these days you almost have to be a jack of all trades to turn a buck in this field. Don't forget to train in the following programming languages: PHP, Python, Perl, Cold Fusion, C#.NET, VB.NET, ASP/ASP.NET, J++, Javascript, Java, Delphi. You'll likely touch on them all at any given time if you wind up doing upgrade or repair work to older web apps that company's have.

Learning the following database systems is a must: MySQL, MSSQL, Oracle, (there's a couple other names but I can't recall them at the moment).

Familiarize yourself with all flavors Linux, and Windows Server.
Deffenatly will work more on those. I have been working on computers and web programming for some time. Was thinking the degree might help stabilize our standing with current and new customers. But as of now, i do computer hardware/software repairs, virus repairs, programming, web site design, network setups, mobile/rv wifi/internet setups and a whole bunch more. But I also do engine, transmition and body work on cars and trucks, learning about the rv's now, so I can add that under my belt. All the repairs on our rv, both body and engine, I have done myself, teaching myself as I go, as well as employing help when needed. It's been a really fun learning adventure for me with the rv. And I am sure will continue to be.

Daniel/Vick
Old 11-09-2010, 01:10 AM   #10

Vintage RV Owners Club
Send a message via ICQ to RedneckExpress Send a message via AIM to RedneckExpress Send a message via MSN to RedneckExpress Send a message via Yahoo to RedneckExpress
Quote:
Originally Posted by hwyd View Post
Deffenatly will work more on those. I have been working on computers and web programming for some time. Was thinking the degree might help stabilize our standing with current and new customers. But as of now, i do computer hardware/software repairs, virus repairs, programming, web site design, network setups, mobile/rv wifi/internet setups and a whole bunch more. But I also do engine, transmition and body work on cars and trucks, learning about the rv's now, so I can add that under my belt. All the repairs on our rv, both body and engine, I have done myself, teaching myself as I go, as well as employing help when needed. It's been a really fun learning adventure for me with the rv. And I am sure will continue to be.

Daniel/Vick
Looks like you're already in good shape another thing that folks tend to wave around are certifications (i.e. Microsoft Certified Engineer, Microsoft Certified Professional, etc... etc...) so, you may wish to pursue ones that might net you the best bang for your buck if it looks like it might pay off towards enough income to recoup the expense.

Web programming is a fairly interesting field, learn everything you can and study every developer's network resource site you can find.

Here's a resource you may find useful:
W3Schools Online Web Tutorials

Has alot of primer tutorials and function definitions for a large variety of programming languages.
'06 Heartland Bighorn 3400RL Fifth wheel
Follow along with me in the The Journey of
RedneckExpress is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 05:16 PM   #11

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedneckExpress View Post
Looks like you're already in good shape another thing that folks tend to wave around are certifications (i.e. Microsoft Certified Engineer, Microsoft Certified Professional, etc... etc...) so, you may wish to pursue ones that might net you the best bang for your buck if it looks like it might pay off towards enough income to recoup the expense.

Web programming is a fairly interesting field, learn everything you can and study every developer's network resource site you can find.

Here's a resource you may find useful:
W3Schools Online Web Tutorials

Has alot of primer tutorials and function definitions for a large variety of programming languages.
Nice, Thank you. I will be sure to check that out tonight. Looks like a good info resource for me to keep at hand.

Daniel/Vick