Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > New Member Check-In
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-17-2010, 10:16 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Location: Summer- Lake Diefenbaker, SK; winter- Westbay Marine Village, Victoria, BC
Greetings from Saskatchewan

Just found this forum, and I really like what I see. I've been hanging around the Good Sam and FMCA forums for some time, members of both of them as well. We are retired, live all summer on our boat (Bayliner 3258 flybridge cruiser on Lake Diefenbaker, Sk) all summer, winter in the RV and live in our home in between. Life is good!
jim.smithjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-18-2010, 08:23 AM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
jim.smithjr:

G'morning from Arizona and a BIG WELCOME!! Nice to have ya here with the iRV2 gang.

Wife and I stayed up in Saskatoon for a few days awhile ago on our way to Alaska. Sure enjoyed our stay, but, that weather was crazy. We watched for 3 days as the same rain & thunder storm rotated around and around the Saskatoon area. We followed it on our computer's weather radar, and sure enough it was the same storm hitting us again and again.

By the way....ya KNOW winter is coming.....GET THE HECK OUTTA THERE and head South !!! We're originally out of Duluth, Minnesota but now full time so we don't do winter anymore!!!...and it's GREAT not having to shovel snow!!

Anyway....WELCOME again!

Steve & Lynette
Old 10-18-2010, 07:12 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
Time to head south I bet. welcome aboard.

ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 10:26 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Jayco Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
Sounds like you've got it all figured out.

Welcome aboard.
2024 Ford Expedition
JMonroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 04:57 PM   #5

Welcome. Sounds like you have a good plan. Where do you winter?
Poptop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 11:58 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Location: Summer- Lake Diefenbaker, SK; winter- Westbay Marine Village, Victoria, BC
We tried out our first winter trip last year at the Westbay Marine Village in Victoria, BC (Vancouver Island). We had an unusually warm and sunny winter; good enough that we're going back there this year.

But we're going to be in Saskatoon until new years with medical stuff and the potential sale of our big old character home, purchase of a small bungalow and the move from one to the other.

Lot's on our plate just now!
Old 10-20-2010, 10:43 AM   #7

Mid Atlantic Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
Welcome Jim & Pam. You guys have got to be tough to brave the winter weather in Saskatoon. We spent a few months there about three years ago removing equipment at the CNH plant. Just thinking about that -35 gets my bones shaking.

Best of Luck and safe Travels

Paul
pkendzor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 11:12 AM   #8

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Welcome Jim & Pam,
if you start feeling chilly, we've plenty of room on the Gulf Coast. Come on down.
historyljc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 12:05 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
My last message wasn't complete. What it didn't say was that we are re-booked into Westbay Marine Village in Victoria for Jan-Mar, 2011. Westbay has a 250 slip marina, 40 float homes and 100 RV's right on the west end of Victoria Harbour and it's the warmest place in Canada. A very well maintained facility with it's own good restaurant/bar and it's also a terminal for the Harbour Ferries. About a 10 minutes drive from downtown, or a one hour walk on their beautiful SeaWalk.

We have visited the USA many, many times, but we haven't over wintered there yet. It is in the plans, but not this year.
Old 10-20-2010, 05:53 PM   #10
TW

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim.smithjr View Post
We tried out our first winter trip last year at the Westbay Marine Village in Victoria, BC (Vancouver Island). We had an unusually warm and sunny winter; good enough that we're going back there this year.

But we're going to be in Saskatoon until new years with medical stuff and the potential sale of our big old character home, purchase of a small bungalow and the move from one to the other.

Lot's on our plate just now!
Hello Jim, we just got back from Westbay today and I must say, we like it a lot.... close to downtown and as a former Pilot I can see the Floatplanes land all day long. Quite a few 'snowbirds' are around the Bay by now........... already. My brother and his son are hanging around Lake Diefenbaker and are building a nice cabin...

WELCOME to iRV2... a great site for everything

TW
TW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 06:01 PM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
The float planes are great at Westbay! I fly R/C airplanes and helicopters. Several of my fixed wing planes have floats.

Westbay is really convenient for us. We should be back there about Jan 3/11?

I've also just bought a 12' Lowe Jon boat and Mercury 6 hp 4 stroke to play with in Victoria harbour. I did a lot of crabbing last winter, plan to do it again; and some fishing. This little boat will stay with the motor home as long as we have it. I have an inflatable with our big boat (Bayliner 3258), but it's a nuisance to move off that boat.
Old 10-21-2010, 08:37 AM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
jim.smithjr:

BOY!!....that Westbay Marine Village sounds like our cup of tea. Don't think we'd visit in the winter however, but sure would like to stay there awhile in the spring/summer period. We once took the ferry from Duncan on the island TO some port on the mainland but can't recall if it landed at Westbay or not. We sure LOVED that area and would very much like to return. I suppose Westbay Marine Village has a web-site? Will check it out and might likely visit this coming season. Do ya have any suggestions or recommendations for getting a site at Westbay??

Steve & Lynette
Old 10-21-2010, 09:20 PM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
Give them a call, Steve. They are sometimes really full, but who knows? At 45' you are pretty long for them too. They can't put my 38' unit just anywhere. But call and see. They have a good website.
Old 10-22-2010, 07:27 AM   #14

Newmar Owners Club
Jim & Pam:

Thanks, we will contact Westbay. If they can't handle our 45 ftr., do ya have suggestions for an alternate RV Park somewhere??

Steve & Lynette