Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > New Member Check-In
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-05-2010, 02:04 PM   #15

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Hi Mamasnap,

You haven't posted a picture yet so I did a little Google searching. Does your new MH look like this?

Have fun with it!
Nick-B is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-06-2010, 10:47 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamasnap View Post
thanks guys! i only have a ford escape. to successfully tow something i'd have to get something real small and i think we would not enjoy it as much as a motorhome due to the size, plus a very large golden retriever, and we would not use it as much. a ford escape towing a small trailer will probably get about as much gas mileage as just driving a 23 foot truck-front motorhome.
I'm chimming in a tad late, but wanted to share that a single lady with a four year old from CA camps in a T@B like mine. They're currently traveling through TX, OK, CO...
You can easily pull the T@B with your Escape! And you can move it around by hand if on concrete or asphalt.
However, enjoy your RV! My mom and I drove my 3 children around for many years in a 28' Holiday Alumalite. Loved it...except we didn't have a tow to sightsee in. She owned a trucking company, so repairs were no problem. Make some awesome memories!

There are a couple of sites for women RVers/campers you may want to check out.
If you're on Facebook, here's one:
Welcome to Facebook
and
Sisters on the fly,Cowgirl Caravan,fly fishing,trailers,vintage trailers,western bedding
bakerkids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2010, 09:07 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickO View Post
Welcome from a fellow Northern Calif native. It sounds like you're in for an adventure. I don't have knowledge of either of the rigs you mention but would just offer a caution.

By their very nature, RVs require a good bit of "tinkering" to keep everything working as it's supposed to. Our coach is new and I still spend a good bit of time working on a thousand little things. It can certainly be a learning experience and perhaps you and your daughter can enjoy learning and fixing things together, but put "maintenance" on your list of things to consider.

Have you considered a small travel trailer instead of a motorhome? It could be a way to simplify things.

Best of Luck,

Rick
thanks guys! i only have a ford escape. to successfully tow something i'd have to get something real small and i think we would not enjoy it as much as a motorhome due to the size, plus a very large golden retriever, and we would not use it as much. a ford escape towing a small trailer will probably get about as much gas mileage as just driving a 23 foot truck-front motorhome.
dorramide7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2010, 09:02 PM   #18

Congrats on your new purchase. Older motorhomes can be just as much fun at a lower cost as a newer one. Keep a positive attitude when things happen. There are a lot of folks out there that will help with problems that may arise. Good thing too as many new motorhomes have problems. Keep after it, you and your daughter will have a blast.
Poptop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 06:06 AM   #19

Good for you! Great way to bond with a child and enjoy those young yrs. Everything is an adventure and education for both of you. get yourself some DYI books and some tools. I know lots of women that love to hang a picture or do an oil change. Just be safe and do short trips to iron out the bugs. Boondock in your driveway to find out what works and does not. Most problem can be fixed by experience. have good mechanic go over the drive train i.e. motor,transmission,drive line. suspension. check bushings and any rubber that dries out from not running. hoses, belts,tires etc. And for peace of mind propane system. , if equipped genset. a must have is a propane detector, CO2 and smoke also. Your safety is the most important first concern. AAA is also cheap insurance. I just got here in Canada CAA premium for a motorhome.
I hope you have an awesome time. Best of wishes.

Ron
nomadjshappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 04:12 PM   #20

Excel Owners Club
Just get a pop up, they sleep better that a huge motorhome and you still get the rv feel. Keep the Escape, and just pull you will never know it's there.
Jillshusband is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 05:30 PM   #21

Monaco Owners Club
Location: Summer- Lake Diefenbaker, SK; winter- Westbay Marine Village, Victoria, BC
Congratulations! You did the right thing, never mind the naysayers and the guys trying to talk you into doing/buying what they did. The fact is you cannot stop, or even slow up time...so have as much FUN with that daughter as you can, right now, when she still appreciates you and your way of thinking.

Have FUN!
jim.smithjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 06:09 PM   #22

Thumbs up

I do not understand fully what people mean by you will always have trouble with an old one etc. I owned a 1976 Dodge Class C for two years and had a blast in it. I did not have any problems with it. Had to buy a battery but that was it. If a person was a full time RV'er, I could maybe see a concern.

If you are not going to travel huge distances, you will be fine in my opinion. In fact, I sold the 1976 Dodge two years later for 900 bucks more than I paid. Just keep it clean. Forums like these will be a great help also.

Here was my first RV that I recently sold:

I only sold mine because all I needed was a Van type Class B for more flexibility. (which I also paid cash for - )

Have fun, you and your daughter will have those memories forever.
goreds2 is offline   Reply With Quote