Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > New Member Check-In
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-26-2018, 09:19 PM   #1

Hello

I just bought our first 5th wheel a little over a week ago. We found a nice used 2015 Chaparral 29rls in very good condition. We hit it off very well with the sellers from the start. They had a Class A, pop-ups and this unit. They want to vacation "all inclusive' now.
So its our turn ! It has some issues, but I can fix most things myself, especially with Google and Youtube, and now this site. Thanks for letting me in to poke around.
The rear stabilizer was frozen tight, and the ladder is broken from interfering with a trees personal space. (on their first trip out with it too).
For the time being I have to do my repairs in front of our home in the street because my driveway is too steep and there are few cars other than a neighbor or two.
I removed the stabilizer (fun getting the bolts out) and took it apart. I freed the L/H nut with heat and Kroil and a pipe wrench. I cleaned everything and re-tapped the 8-32 holes in the motor housing, coated the length of the screw with marine grade never seize, and replaced all hardware with ss bolts.
It was a lot easier installing since it can be done in two parts and not so heavy. The frame gets bolted in with four 3/8 bolts on each side. Then the screw and leg assembly can be slid in from the left side.
The wiring is terrible at the rocker switch with exposed undersized spade connectors , along with rusted connections on the circuit breaker . It works but needs straightened out .
I also ordered a 3.0 Lippert one touch level system . That should be a fun install. I'm wondering if the brackets that get bolted to the 6in frame allow for the square drive shafts for the slide outs....? They look like they will be close unless the brackets are notched or have pass thru holes .
We haven't camped in it yet. Today was the big clean up inside, front to back. pulled drawers, and panels, and vacuumed, lots of sawdust, stripped wire ends, and things from the building process.
Tomorrow I'll hook up my hose and start de-winterizing it . I have some learning to do there too..
So there is my first post . thanks , Jeff

BTW , the very nice owner even delivered the 29 to us since my Pullrite #2600 single point attachment hitch had not arrived yet. He towed with a gas F250 and I have a 2015 2500Hd Duramax with a B&W turnover ball installed when I got it last year..
Imzz4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-26-2018, 09:26 PM   #2

Welcome to iRV2.

Great to have you join us here in the forums.

From your list of projects it sounds like you jumped into RVing , at the deep end of the pool .
I hope your hitch gets delivered soon and you can get out and enjoy yourself .

Safe travels.
Old 05-26-2018, 09:36 PM   #3

Can I get the cliff notes please??
Peto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2018, 04:31 AM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
Welcome to the forum. I am exhausted just reading and thinking about all you are doing. Good luck with the project and enjoy the adventure.
momdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2018, 08:08 AM   #5
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club

Glad to have you here in the forum with us. You're gonna like it here.

I always say if you're going to RV it. Dive into the deep end of the pool.

Happy Trails!!!
TonyDi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2018, 09:37 AM   #6
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Hi ! Welcome to IRV2! We're sure glad you joined the gang!

Congrats on the new rig! Have fun with the fixes. Keep her between the ditches!

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2018, 07:05 PM   #7

lost post

I think the post I added the other day about the stabilizer repair ,with some pictures, ended up in the wrong place because I din't know which one is the right place..
I did see the section about fixing my pics so they are in portrait and not turned 90 degrees , but I have to get my posting place sorted out first.
thanks for your help , Jeff
Old 06-03-2018, 09:13 AM   #8

lost post

I still need a hand and can't find where I put that post . I'd like to add more in the right place. thanks