Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > New Member Check-In
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-16-2012, 09:35 AM   #1

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Hello All From The Latest Newbie

Hello everyone. My name is Tony and I've signed on here in hopes of getting some good advice before joining the world of RVing.

The wife and I are looking to purchase a Class A probably somewhere around 35'. Here's some quick background on why. The wife is a Traveling Nurse, she could end up with an assignment in most any state, we are from PA. She has the choice of taking company provided housing or taking a housing allowance and finding her own. Seems taking the money is the better method as the couple times she has done that she has come out ahead of the game by around 1k per month. She recently did an assignment only a couple hours from home and decided to try using her brothers 35' pull behind. Surprisingly she said it wasn't bad and that is how the search began.

We first thought of getting our own pull behind but that would mean also purchasing a vehicle that could tow it, our Durango isn't equipped for that. On further thought we realized she would still need to take her daily driver along as running whatever tow vehicle wouldn't be an option on a daily basis. So we decided if we're going to do this Class A seems to be the way to go. Hook her Nissan on the back and she's ready to roll.

So now here I am trying to learn what I can to become a better shopper and hopefully so that our first ownership experience will be a good one and the beginning of many happy years of RVing.

I'm hoping to learn for you folk what choice would be best, gas/diesel, 10 year old, 5 year old, or older still. What should I reasonably expect to invest for the first unit. What things should I really be looking for and what should I shy away from.

So here I am a sponge eagerly awaiting to soak up any knowledge that you here may see fit to impart upon me. Just remember, be gentle with me, it's my first time.

Thanks to everyone in advance,
Tony
hdflsts2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-16-2012, 11:15 AM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Hi Tony, welcome to the forum. Hard to answer your question without some idea of your budget. Sounds like a well maintained 10 year old gas would fit the bill in the most economical way. Good luck on your search.
historyljc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 11:32 AM   #3

Thor Owners Club
This is a great forum to learn about RVing. I think your decision to buy a rig is a good one. Your truck is probably under powered to tow a decent size 5er but that also doesn't mean you couldn't upgrade your truck and buy a 5er or a TT. I'm just throwing that out to you as a thing to consider. Unless you have a toad (vehicle you pull behind the Class A), you are pretty limited where you can drive and would want to drive. At least a pickup you can detach it and away you go. So those are things to consider right from the get go. I would, long before arriving at this decision, go visit RV dealers. Explain what your needs are. Most dealers (that I've dealt with), will help you, explaining the advantages and disadvantages of each rig. Its a journey from start to getting a rig in your driveway. But as your explaining it, its going to be an important part of your wifes professional life and the beginning of your RV experience. Take your time, set a budget and get lots of helpful info. Good luck
Fred1609 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 07:56 PM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
Welcome to the forum...You will find lots of good information here. Best of luck in your decision making.
Swansonia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 10:27 AM   #5
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Hi Tony! Welcome to IRV2! We're sure glad you found us! You need to spend a LOT of time deciding what you want. We went through three 5th wheels before getting one we could live with. After keeping it 10 years we just went to a Class A DP which we love! There's all the information you will need right here on this site, you just have to poke around the different areas and ask questions. Be careful of the dealers, they will try to sell you what they need to move the worst! Just don't be shy about asking questions here. I would post the questions in the appropriate areas of the forum for better results. Not too many folks hang out here. Good luck & God bless!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 06:04 AM   #6

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Thanks to all for the welcome, and I'm slowly learning where to look for different bits of info and where to ask this question or that. I'm sure I'll make plenty of mistakes here, none of which will be intentional, but I promise I'll get better and will pitch in everywhere I can. (Probably not much for now unless there are those who need IT help or Dish help. The first being my profession, the second being something I've picked up over the years).
hdflsts2002 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags