Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > New Member Check-In
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-10-2007, 01:50 PM   #15
Community Moderator

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
They maybe asking the tongue weight of trailer hitch.

RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-10-2007, 09:25 PM   #16

007 i've heard of toung weight on TT's but never on a 5ty wheeler. am i missing something?

2005 Mountain Aire 35BLKS
RonNgirls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2007, 06:03 AM   #17

Usually refered to as hitch weight on 5th wheel and is much higher than tongue weight on TT.
The reason I asked weight I have a relative with Chevy/Duramax pickup for sale but it is not heavy enough for your rig.
Good luck in your search
Old 05-11-2007, 09:23 PM   #18

Spoonman, thanks for clearing this up. Your right, a P/U is a tad small for this job. I'm looking at a Chev.4500 hauler at the moment. Got to tell you, they don't give them away .

Old 05-12-2007, 04:30 AM   #19

You`re right about prices, was at open house for local Newmar dealer awhile back, had a FordF450 King Ranch on display, listed at $62000.Don`t think I`ll be going back to Fiver any time soon.
Old 05-12-2007, 04:10 PM   #20

Ron,

We also have a 35BLKS and it is definately a heavy trailer. You will need something more than the standard dually to tow it safely. My suggestion is at least a Medium Duty truck and preferably a Heavy Duty truck. Lots of good info on both in the escapees forumsEscapees HDT forum

Escapees MDT forum

We tow with a 1999 Volvo 610 and in my opinion it is the perfect tow vehicle for this trailer. It tows beautifully, very stable. We bought the Volvo three years ago in anticipation of getting a Mtn Aire -took a while but we finally found one in February.

As far as weight goes, our 35BLKS weighed 15,120 dry. On the last trip it weighed in at 17,200 with 3,580 pin weight. That was with full propane tanks and about a half full fresh water tank. We gross out at 36,860 lbs and are 60' long.

The Vovlo is an amazing truck to drive. It is quieter and smoother riding than our gas V8 Dodge Ram was. Sitting up high you can really see what is going on up ahead and it is really relaxing to drive. We have air suspension, air cab suspension and twin air seats, so you barely feel the biggest bumps.

We are getting 9.5 to 10 mpg towing the Mtn Aire at a steady 65 mph. With twin 150 gallon tanks I don't need to stop very often, but it sure hurts when we do. Last fill up was 225 gallons! I try to think of it a purchasing diesel futures.

We love the Mtn Aire and I am sure you will feel the same about yours. One thing I did right after we bought it last winter was to get a Bigfoot leveling syatem installed. My wife hates placing leveling boards whil;e I am moving the truck, now I just unhitch and push a button - really slick!

Good luck with the MA and enjoy!
Old 05-12-2007, 07:15 PM   #21
Administrator Emeritus

Big Foot Levelers are an iRV2 sponsor...

We ask you to support the vendor/manufacturers that support your forum...
rebelsbeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2007, 02:42 PM   #22

New Horizons Owners Club
Ron,

I think Dennis is pointing you in the right direction. That MA is a very heavy rig, while there are lots of trucks out there that can get that weight moving, it is most important to get a truck that can stop it.

You are in the weight range that would benefit from a class 5 or larger MDT or virtually any HDT.

I have an MDT, fitted to look like a pick-up but rated at a GCWR of 33,000lbs. However, I can not say the same about the ride as Dennis did. It is a truck and it rides like a truck. Without a load on it it is very stiff and transmits all the bumps right up to your spine. Having an air bag suspension does not mean a smoother ride either. I have air bags and they add nothing to my comfort when not loaded. But, I would not trade them for anything. They are self leveling and keep whatever load I am towing parallel to the road; something I highly value.

The bigger MDTs and HDTs usually have an option for air suspension under the cab and in the seats, if they offer it on the truck of your choice I would try to find a way to pay for it.

Your pin weight is going to be pretty significant, roughly 20% of whatever the 5er weighs. If you get a smaller MDT be careful to evaluate all the weight ratings. Don't get caught with a high enough gross weight capacity but come up shy on the rear axle maximum or GVWR.

That MA is going to afford you some luxurious camping for many years. Just get enough truck so as not to spoil the experience.
jperry29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2007, 06:59 PM   #23

Location: Atlanta, GA. , South Beach, FL. Naples, Fl , Coral Gables,FL.
Yes, Bob Gregory , I do support the vendors on this site.Just 2 weeks ago on 4-20 -07 we dove from north Atlanta,GA down to Tampa, FL to have the newest BIG FOOT leverlers installed with the longest legs 21 inches with each pump that will lift 12,000 to 20,000 lbs. At each corners. On the motorcoach on all 4 corners fully automatic and also manual and the biggest pads 14 x 14 inch and the best out there for the money . I am very pleased

Old 05-14-2007, 07:59 AM   #24
Moderator Emeritus

Texas Boomers Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
If you want to stay with a pickup size vehicle, you are looking at a minimum of a Ford F450. The F550 would give you a little more wiggle room. Other wise you are looking at an MDT.

My Kountry Star was the highest I could go with my F350 other wise I would have gotten the Mountain Aire.

2017 Solitude by Grand Design
2012 Ford F-450 Lariat
K-Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2007, 08:45 PM   #25

Well everyone, looks like i'm about to give the go ahead on building my Chevrolet Kodiak crew cab 4500. I think the Duramax 6.6 (330hp)(620ft#) with a Allison 6sp should do the job. Now all i've got to do is find someone to cut my arm off so i can pay for it, MA. tax not included.

Old 05-15-2007, 05:07 AM   #26

Ma sales and EXCISE tax are killers for sure.
Old 05-15-2007, 06:54 AM   #27

Winnebago Owners Club
RonNgirls,
I'm sure you have run the numbers, etc.--for the money, a used HDT will provide your more for your dollars. Example, refrigerator, microwave, double bunks/workstation, TV (satellite if desired), 300+ gal of fuel, axillary generator, title/register as a MH in most states, etc. My truck (MH) has all this and more, for much less than a new MDT. I also average 10 mpg. Just my 2-cents -- enjoy that beautiful 5th wheel and be safe.
John
Old 05-15-2007, 07:29 AM   #28
Administrator Emeritus

Ron, I would seriously consider looking into something like Dennis details in his post.
As most have said, it's not whether the truck will PULL the load, it's whether it'll STOP the load...A Kodiak might very well pull the load, (and MAY stop it too), but with that weight of trailer I'd want to be more ahead of the curve that just riding on it.

A funny story is that when my ex and I were fiver shopping, we actually agreed on a fiver, but when I said I would NOT pull it with a dually we had an impasse. She would NOT ride in the MDT or the HDT, so we went motor home shopping....I feel your pain!

rebelsbeach is offline   Reply With Quote