Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > New Member Check-In
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-09-2014, 07:49 AM   #15

Fleetwood Owners Club
Pete, That is a good idea to use restaurant wifi, however we do not have a toad, yet, and makes it difficult to travel from the campground once we are set up. I have been researching satellite internet connections and wondering if you have any personal knowledge on the subject.

Joyce
LilJoey is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-09-2014, 11:07 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by LilJoey View Post
Pete, That is a good idea to use restaurant wifi, however we do not have a toad, yet, and makes it difficult to travel from the campground once we are set up. I have been researching satellite internet connections and wondering if you have any personal knowledge on the subject.

Joyce
We, too, have used the Verizon Jetpack. Our first use was in Yellowstone this summer. Speed was best after everyone else went to sleep. Otherwise it was slow and limited to email and text. However, AT&T had no signal in Yellowstone (our cell phones). Outside the park our signal improved.

The big thing to watch out for with most cellular based plans, of course, is data usage. That can get expensive. As for satellite dish Internet access, it generally is not a lot better than dial-up speeds (old stuff using analog communications).

You might try searching for "improve WiFi reception in RV park." That will produce a large number of hits. There are devices that will improve your signal reception. If your campground has WiFi, you might also request a spot closer to where the WiFi device is located.

I'm not sure how you work online, so my comments are limited. If the software you use resides on a hosted Internet site, you may be OK with somewhat slower Internet bandwidth. The key to this, in general, is that most of the "processing" needs to reside on a hosted server with its own good bandwidth. If you try to run a database type application and there are dependencies between your computing device and the online application, you could experience significant slowness.

Let us know what you use to work online and we may be able to offer more information.
Old 09-09-2014, 01:16 PM   #17

Sounds like you two are living the dream
working on the road has its challenges - notably if you require internet connections - there are some great discussions going on about WIFI boosters and other technology that can assist you.

Again, welcome to the forums Pete & Shawna
BamaBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2014, 09:40 AM   #18

Welcome to the Forum and we hope you have many great camping adventures. Best of luck.

Happy RV'ing
myshaggydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2014, 10:31 AM   #19

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hudgens View Post
communications).
I'm not sure how you work online, so my comments are limited. If the software you use resides on a hosted Internet site, you may be OK with somewhat slower Internet bandwidth. The key to this, in general, is that most of the "processing" needs to reside on a hosted server with its own good bandwidth. If you try to run a database type application and there are dependencies between your computing device and the online application, you could experience significant slowness.

Let us know what you use to work online and we may be able to offer more information.
Sorry, I am not very tech savvy, I do know that it is a VPN with a healthcare organization that I can access remotely.
Joyce
Old 09-10-2014, 10:32 AM   #20

dhowdy
homeless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2014, 11:59 AM   #21

Quote:
Sorry, I am not very tech savvy, I do know that it is a VPN with a healthcare organization that I can access remotely.
Joyce
OK....trying this the third time....keep losing my content while trying to copy a link to this post.

I'm glad you mentioned VPN. VPN refers to "virtual private network." It is a secured connection to the originating network (where you want to work). Some call it a "tunnel." Typically, VPN connections require a stable, uninterrupted connection. If the signal is "dropped," the tunnel connection is lost and you have to reconnect and log back into your network. (Others in these forums may know of a better VPN tool that has higher tolerance of connectivity issues.)

In my experience, the best VPN connections involve as much "hard wired" connectivity as possible. Unless someone corrects me on this, I know of no hard wired networks commonly used in RVs. (There are some parts that may be wired, but I'm talking about a fully wired network with switches and so forth.)

What is used in most RVs is some kind of wireless service: WiFi, cellular and satellite. For VPN you need the most reliable signal you can get. That puts WiFi at the top of the list. Cellular, IMO, falls next in line and then satellite.

Most of us have experienced really poor WiFi in campgrounds. And in restaurants or other public places you are competing for part of the signal/bandwidth. To improve your signal you want to find a signal booster or similar technology. Here's a link to one of a number of resources you might find on the Internet where signal boosters are discussed.

RV Internet Access and RV Dedicated Wi-Fi | Outside Our Bubble
RV Internet Access and RV Dedicated Wi-Fi | Outside Our Bubble (copy and paste this to browser if link does not work)

If you want to have more flexibility in where you access the Internet, cellular is my preferred method. (I cannot attest to how well it does VPN, so you may want to find someone with a solid cellular connection device and test your VPN.)

This past July I used Verizon's Jetpack in a Yellowstone campground. We had a poor to mediocre signal from Verizon and none from AT&T. Verizon worked best at night when folks were in bed and we had more of the signal/bandwidth to ourselves. Again, I'm not sure how well a VPN will work on cellular. Here's a link to a review of some cellular options.

Five Best Mobile Hotspots
Five Best Mobile Hotspots (copy and paste this to browser if link does not work)

I am not commenting on satellite because my experiences with it in remote locations has been "unworkable." Others should comment on this who have had good experiences.

I hope this helps. Maybe it gives you a starting point along with comments from others.
Old 09-11-2014, 12:03 PM   #22

Fleetwood Owners Club
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Welcome to the forum, I am also a newbie and able to work on the road. It was a beautiful plan...buy an RV, travel, and continue working, with a view. The problem I have found is a finding a good internet connection. I am curious to know if your work involves computers and how you secure a connection. I hope you are enjoying RVing as much as we are.

Joyce
Millinicom + AT&T Mifi will get you a decent signal 99% of the time
RVM#78 - -USAF- F-15 Eagle Radar Vet
'5 Fleetwood Revolution- '15 Airstream Intl Sig. 27FB
Jay, Andrea, Stella '14 Ram 3500 Aisin '18 ORV F30RLS
plasma800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2014, 07:58 PM   #23

Fleetwood Owners Club
Thank you, Hudgens and Plasma 800. You guys have given me alot to research. Hopefully, Pete will get some good ideas from your responses also.
Thanks again,
Joyce
Old 09-12-2014, 10:30 AM   #24

Fleetwood Owners Club
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Ya know my wife has VPN'd a couple of times on our millinicom without incident, but it's probably not the right way to go about it eh? It's not something we need to do often so...
RVM#78 - -USAF- F-15 Eagle Radar Vet
'5 Fleetwood Revolution- '15 Airstream Intl Sig. 27FB
Jay, Andrea, Stella '14 Ram 3500 Aisin '18 ORV F30RLS
plasma800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2014, 10:22 AM   #25

Jay makes a good point the millinicom. The key to all of this is having a good "radio signal." The closer you are to a metropolitan area, the better your chances for a VPN to work well. If there are no mountains or other obstructions to signals, you will have a better chance. Simply stated: good equipment, good configuration and good location with minimal interference improve your odds.